Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: And God created Mike Oldfield who created the music of this century< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
gorjanbak Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 11 2000, 15:08

Yes.I like this cind of music.Let me tell you that this is best CD from Mike Oldfield.The music is just wonderful and cosmic.It is a joy of every people with big fantasy,who thinks almost same like Mike.We are not alone in this galaxy and in this world.Thats contains this CD.Bravo maestro OLDFIELD
Profile PM 
97-194
Unregistered

Posted: July 20 2000, 15:54

I don't think Mike was created by God;
to me Oldfield is just the God.God of Music,God of Art,God of the Light,etc.
Hasn't He got perfect mind,
isn't he immortal,incoceivable,uniqe,unusual?
Isn't His Music uearthly,unbelievable perfect,eternal?
After I had heard The Songs Of Distant Earth first time,I realised that Mike is the God of Art.
He's the Source of the LIGHT...

raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2002, 22:00

This is certainly an original album. It feels really space-age and out-of-this-world. I put it on a background music, because it dosen't have and of the loud climaxes that other albums do. However, it still has several good tracks.

One thing I was thinking, in Perth last year, there was this enormous plastic bubble thingy called the Arcazarr.l It was a futuristic bouncy castle type thingy with a roof that the light could shine through. I don't know of any of you WA guys went to it, but I was thinking that TSODE would be the perfect music for it.

Visit www.global.net.au/~holmangp

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 21 2002, 19:47

TSODE is a fantastic album.
Mike's ingenuity doesn't get portrayed much clearer anywhere. The classic TB2 style merging tracks, totally chilled-
love it.
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: June 06 2002, 05:37

I have discovered Crystal Clear. I have to tell you that this album is music made in heaven! I love it!!! Crystal Clear is full of amazing guitar, and an unbelievable guitar solo that goes on for about 2 minutes. This is an album that is both relaxing and beautiful. Who said that keyboards were the death of music? I love listening to this album. My only regret was that it took me so long for me to finally discover it was so good.

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 06 2002, 15:12

And raven heard the album, that it was good... wink

There are a lot of little layers in TSODE - little pieces of percussion and synth sounds, all those sorts of things, that take a little while to discover sometimes. I think that, at first, one tends to be hit by the full effect of a piece of Mike's music, only to discover on future listens, the pieces that make it up.
Profile PM 
TheMan Offline

Posted: July 16 2002, 05:09

Exactly, Korgscrew,

that is precisely my opinion; there are so many delicate beutiful elements going on here. Wonderful music, and in some sense perhaps the most different MO work ever. On other records the complexity is either rather obvious (like on Amarok, QE2 or TWC (but of course I like it)) or completely lacking (Guitars, EM, and in fact, TB3). On TSODE Mike created very complex but minimalistic textures in an highly orginal way.

In my opinion no MO work contains so beutiful synth sounds as TSODE. And the chors in the beginning on Ascension, ... it is music from heaven.

Mike, you deserve much more credit than you ever got for this record, it is WONDERFUL FANTASTIC BRILLIANT music, and this recording alone proves that you are truly genious.

You are The Man, Mike, no doubt about that!
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: July 16 2002, 07:50

That's funny, I thought you were TheMan ;)
Profile PM WEB 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: July 16 2002, 13:32

TSODE really is a kick ass album. it's a lot more subtler and not as "in your face" like TB3, or parts of Guitars, or even the heavy stuff in TB & HR.

But that's what so great about this 58 minutes of coolness. The opening quote i think is still a great idea and it fits the mood of the album. LTBL is quite possibly one of the most moving pieces of MO i've ever heard.

I like the way things come back in this album in various places. The basic melody of LTBL is like in 4 other places of the whole album. And the climaxes in Crystal Clear & Ascension are awesome. I can only imagine how much time and effort he must have put into this album to make it as great as it is. Everything really seems to go together here, nothing is out of place. And while i have no idea (and i don't tihnk anyone has any idea) of what the hell is being said at the end in A New Beginning, it still fits w/ the album and makes for a great ending (although if you stop listening after Asecnsion that works too).

I like the way the music flows through each track and how they seem to be overlaid with each other. A lot more smoother and hard to detect where the tracks start/end then TB2/TB3/TMB. i think that's neat.

One of my fav. albums

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Crossfire
Unregistered

Posted: April 16 2003, 09:53

...and God said, "Let there be Mike."  :D
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 05:13

Quote (Guest @ April 16 2003, 16:53)
...and God said, "Let there be Mike."  :D

And there was Mike. And god saw that Mike was good.
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2008, 01:59

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 06 2002, 15:12)
There are a lot of little layers in TSODE - little pieces of percussion and synth sounds, all those sorts of things, that take a little while to discover sometimes. I think that, at first, one tends to be hit by the full effect of a piece of Mike's music, only to discover on future listens, the pieces that make it up.

I'll say! It took me an awfully long time to pick up on the three-note motif that circulates through the album, appearing in "Let There Be Light", "Supernova", "First Landing", "Oceania", "Only Time Will Tell", "Tubular World" (where it's revealed to be the first notes of a longer melody), and "Ascension". Goodness, it seems so obvious, now. Maybe this example is actually more indicative of my slowness than of Mike's subtlety??

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2008, 05:13

Sweetpea, it's quite apt that you are having a conversation with someone 6 years in the past, because exactly that sort of thing would happen if, say, you were in a starship 6 light years from earth and wanted a message to be received at home. The odd things about TSODE is that I agree it's a terrific album, but I hardly ever listen to it. I don't know why.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2008, 19:05

Whoh, a six-year-old post of mine! That's a significant fraction of my entire life (almost one-third of it, in fact). It's like reading a post by another person with my name on it. My opinion hasn't changed though; I still think Crystal Clear is one of Mike's finest ever guitar solos.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 31 2008, 19:43

I feel funny about my old comments though. I can basically read the entire mindset behind them, but I can barely make it fit on my head anymore. It might not seem like it, but I changed quite a lot.

I've only edited a few of them, to remove some very specific things, but the rest is all there. It's quite funny.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2009, 02:28

Yes, this topic is a bit moldy. And it's fascinating to compare past and present opinions. But isn't anybody going to say 'Pshaw! You weren't slow Sweetpea. In fact, I never noticed that aspect before you brilliantly pointed it out. Thanks!'??

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2009, 20:19

Yes 'tis true...his musical ability is the result of divine intervention. Truly a genius ahead of his time,

Cheers,
Deb
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: April 12 2009, 23:10

If I'm stressed in any way, I can always count on this brilliant album chill me out.  The fact that it also moves me to tears just underlines Mike's genius.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 14 2009, 08:52

As i think i mentioned Voyager isn't my favourite as it sounds like he wasn't trying very hard but it does remind me of the glorious summer of 96 just after my first daughter was born so for nothing else but that it has some very happy conotations.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: April 14 2009, 13:35

"Trying very hard" to do what exactly?  To be original?  Maybe not, but I would say Mike always "tries hard" to produce the best music he can.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
42 replies since July 11 2000, 15:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net