Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: And God created Mike Oldfield who created the music of this century< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 18 2011, 01:47

Freeman of the City of London might well be it as far as honours bestowed go: criticising the UK as a whole would certainly be remembered by the media should it be forgotten by any minister who turns out to be a fan of Amarok, The Songs of Distant Earth or even Earth Moving.

This said, the admittedly rather unlikely chance remains that he could one day style himself as Mike Oldfield GCMG, with all the privileges that entails if the famous Yes, Minister quote is anything to go by...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_St_Michael_and_St_George

So come on, Mike - put out that roll-up when you enter the Governor General's mansion!  You never know what may come of it  :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2011, 05:34

Freeman of the City of London might well be it as far as honours bestowed go: criticising the UK as a whole would certainly be remembered by the media should it be forgotten by any minister who turns out to be a fan of Amarok, The Songs of Distant Earth or even Earth Moving.

This said, the admittedly rather unlikely chance remains that he could one day style himself as Mike Oldfield GCMG, with all the privileges that entails if the famous Yes, Minister quote is anything to go by...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_St_Michael_and_St_George

So come on, Mike - put out that roll-up when you enter the Governor General's mansion!  You never know what may come of it

I'm sorry but I got none of that. Who is freeman? I do know yes, minister and it's very funny and I presume also accurate. But seriously, I got none of that.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2011, 07:12

Sorry, HR - some extrapolation was required ;)

It pleased someone to award Mike the freedom of the City of London, as a result of performing the Royal Wedding concert in 1981 within the city walls.  This distinction is what gave him his annual entry in Who's Who, at a time when rock musicianship was very rarely recognised in that book.

Since then, the politicians and civil servants who pluck names out of the air twice a year (for the Queen's Birthday and New Year's Honours lists) have not seen fit to ask Her Majesty to confirm him as an OBE or MBE.  Probably just waiting to make him a Lord, of course...

This topic title brought the Yes, Minister scene to mind; you'll have seen how these particular honours are for distinguished foreign service, by diplomats mainly.   Strictly speaking, it's not impossible that Mike could do something that might earn such recognition...  Unfortunately, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office backs onto Horse Guards Parade, so someone within is probably nursing a headache from 1998!   :laugh:

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
42 replies since July 11 2000, 15:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net