Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: An idea for musos out there, A Collaboration< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 137 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 04 2011, 11:39

Just logged in for the first and was interested by the Cavemans woes of trying to find like minded musicians. I am also disapointed with genres etc. When I record and compose I'll use anything that comes to mind wether it be rock,jazz, blues, folk, clasical. Being a lifetime fan of Mike my music tends to go in that direction. He has been a huge influence.
THE IDEA
With the technology of today its got to be possible to link with other musicians and compose a piece of music, perhaps ten or fifteen mins in lengh (to start), and by each recording a track or part build the piece up. We would just need to decide on bpm. Living the other side of the world wouldn't matter, as long as we have a means of recording the part in what ever key we decide on.
If you're thinking I've lost my mind then feel free to say but I think it could be made to work. Can you imagine how the different influences would emerge. I would suggest we would need a theme to kick it off, and that could be for instance a guitar or piano playing a few chords or a melody. The next person could then decide wether to carry it on or compose a piece to go over it. I wouldn't mind kicking it off to see what happens. Perhaps I am crazy what am I suggesting?
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2011, 13:14

Well, count me in!  This is a great idea.  :D

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2011, 12:14

I FEEL SUCH A FOOL.

Here I am logging in to the net for only the second time, and what do I find. A reply to my idea posting, thanks, smillsoid.
ONE and thats a start.
Been reading the forum today and have found, and, read the topic concerning the album. What a fantastic thing to do. I honestly had not realised this was going on and taking on such a wonderful form. I hope that no-one thinks that my idea was in any way linked. It's an idea I've had for sometime.
I would have realy enjoyed being involved.
Trully brilliant that Mike has linked you all in such a way.
Can anyone tell me if it's too late to submit a track. If so tough S..t on me!
Can't wait to hear it. The video intro is as good as anything I've seen and the album cover welllll  !   amazing covers that.

smilsoid I will be in touch once I've figured the net out. I've not been involved with this kinda thing before, so bear with me.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2011, 16:09

I don't think it's too late to submit a track, dunlooser. And welcome to the board. :)
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2011, 16:19

I think this a wonderful idea.  I was involved in a similar project organized by a Kate Bush forum - so I know it can work, and be a success.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 07 2011, 05:30

Hi Dunlooser.
Welcome to the board :)
Its a great idea you have there.
It has been done before check out the FINALE link on the main page.
But that was way before I joined and I think most participants with that have moved on.
Also it was a cover of Mikes TB pt1 .
Something original would be a treat.
Count me in (Drums).
With the album you are free to submit a track just PM me a link or have you posted something already?
Cheers Milamber.
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2011, 06:58

Dunlooser and I are working on a track together.  I've also uploaded three excerpts of "Wenlock Edge."

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 07 2011, 07:10

Quote (smillsoid @ Feb. 07 2011, 22:58)
Dunlooser and I are working on a track together.  I've also uploaded three excerpts of "Wenlock Edge."

Very Nice indeed with excerpt 2 being my fave  :)
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2011, 09:22

Thanks Milamber.  I'm very proud of the whole album.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2011, 10:46

Quote (Milamber @ Feb. 07 2011, 11:30)
Hi Dunlooser.
Welcome to the board :)
Its a great idea you have there.
It has been done before check out the FINALE link on the main page.
But that was way before I joined and I think most participants with that have moved on.
Also it was a cover of Mikes TB pt1 .
Something original would be a treat.
Count me in (Drums).
With the album you are free to submit a track just PM me a link or have you posted something already?
Cheers Milamber.

Hey milamber,
We'll need a drummer thats three of us with smillsoid.
Very exciting. Just recording the opening riff. No pressure on you two coz I know smillsoid is recording at the mo.
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2011, 01:59

Can't wait to get working on the track - but this Steamprog project is hugely time-consuming!   :O

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2011, 05:27

Quote (smillsoid @ Feb. 08 2011, 07:59)
Can't wait to get working on the track - but this Steamprog project is hugely time-consuming!   :O

Plenty of time smillsoid, don't let this project get in the way.

I've got an arpegio recorded on a couple of accoustics in harmony, but I'm thinking it should come later in the piece. I'm thinking now perhaps it would be an idea to start dark and finish light. Like a storm passing.
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2011, 06:38

Sounds like a good idea!  I expect to be finished with "The War In the Air" by late February.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 178 Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2011, 18:31

Quote (dunlooser @ Feb. 04 2011, 16:39)
Just logged in for the first and was interested by the Cavemans woes of trying to find like minded musicians. I am also disapointed with genres etc. When I record and compose I'll use anything that comes to mind wether it be rock,jazz, blues, folk, clasical. Being a lifetime fan of Mike my music tends to go in that direction. He has been a huge influence.
THE IDEA
With the technology of today its got to be possible to link with other musicians and compose a piece of music, perhaps ten or fifteen mins in lengh (to start), and by each recording a track or part build the piece up. We would just need to decide on bpm. Living the other side of the world wouldn't matter, as long as we have a means of recording the part in what ever key we decide on.
If you're thinking I've lost my mind then feel free to say but I think it could be made to work. Can you imagine how the different influences would emerge. I would suggest we would need a theme to kick it off, and that could be for instance a guitar or piano playing a few chords or a melody. The next person could then decide wether to carry it on or compose a piece to go over it. I wouldn't mind kicking it off to see what happens. Perhaps I am crazy what am I suggesting?

great idea... my copy of Music Tech recently suggested various online DAWs out there where you can collaborate... I will investigate

the problem is we all use different DAWs to record and there are one or 2 'universal' file formats... again I will look into it if you want....
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2011, 07:07

Quote (quietman @ Feb. 12 2011, 00:31)
the problem is we all use different DAWs to record and there are one or 2 'universal' file formats... again I will look into it if you want....

Hi Quietman

I've just quoted on your Barafundle project check it out. It's easy to cross wires on here ain't it.
I appreciate your offer. Thats four now with you, smillsoid and Milamber.
I appreciate what your saying and would be grateful if someone could sort these things coz I haven't really got a clue, as to how transferring parts, pieces, tracks etc was going to work. Keep in touch.
Of course there is the post, email or just recording the parts into our various recording desks via audio.
There's no rush don't let it affect your writing.
Profile PM 
ex member 178 Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2011, 16:42

Quote (dunlooser @ Feb. 12 2011, 12:07)
Quote (quietman @ Feb. 12 2011, 00:31)

Hi Quietman

I've just quoted on your Barafundle project check it out. It's easy to cross wires on here ain't it.
I appreciate your offer. Thats four now with you, smillsoid and Milamber.
I appreciate what your saying and would be grateful if someone could sort these things coz I haven't really got a clue, as to how transferring parts, pieces, tracks etc was going to work. Keep in touch.
Of course there is the post, email or just recording the parts into our various recording desks via audio.
There's no rush don't let it affect your writing.

Hi dunlooser

Here's a few ideas. This comes from MusicTech magazine Dec2010 edition:

1. Exporting from a DAW... a. Stems.. full length audio tracks of seperate channels b. OMF Open Media Format c. the DAW project file... (unlikely to work unless we all use the same DAW!;)
2. Ohm Studio - as mentioned by Ginger Daddy an online DAW
3. Soundation - another online DAW - free
4. Audiotool - another online DAW - free
5. Mantis - another DAW - free trial

Also check out this article on MusicRadar about 8 tools for online collaboration:

Music Radar Online Collaboration

At the moment I haven't any views which way to proceed but let's look at the options and come up with some recommendations. Time to do some homework ....
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2011, 17:56

Quote (quietman @ Feb. 12 2011, 22:42)

Hi Quietman

Sorry I've crossed wires again. Have left thread elsewhere.
Yes to all of that on this post.
Profile PM 
bob the screamer Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2011, 19:16

Hello, I would be interested in joining in this project too! However, I will most likely be unavailable for this between March and May...

Concerning different DAWs, that shouldn't be a problem as long as we just handle pure audio files (say .wav or .aiff), then you can freely import it in any DAW and export it as such as well.

--------------
New free album out:

http://www.bobthescreamer.com/music/twinety-twine/
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2011, 21:50

The more the merrier, Bob.  Have some Garmonbozia!  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
trench Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2011, 03:53

count me in..........would love to contribute a fretless bass and some ambience.
Profile PM 
81 replies since Feb. 04 2011, 11:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net