Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: an auspicious anniversary< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bibimimi Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 10 2002, 12:07

20 years ago tomorrow I saw Mike in Toronto at Ryerson Polytechnic. It was the latter of 2 shows that day, the one we saw started at 10 PM. He had Maggie Reilly, Pierre Moerlen and Tim Cross with him, among others. Tim Cross is a funny guy, taking an opportunity to light a smoke and mug during the drum break in "Conflict". This was the Five Miles Out Tour, but that's one song he didn't do. It was a very casual show. Mike wore a tour t-shirt, white jeans and Puma sneakers. (When I saw him at Carnegie Hall in '93, his tastes ran more to Italian suits). The best part about the show was our complete inability to leave the theatre after the show. My mate El and I weren't even sure where we were sleeping, but we landed on our feet. We waited with a small group of die-hards outside the hall for over an hour. Dang it, we were going to meet him if its the last thing we did. When he did finally emerge (after words of encouragement from Jeremy Parker...) it got awful quiet on that street. We each approached him and he signed our programs. I waited 'til last because I was awestruck. I handed him my p'gram and said "Good Morning". He looked at me sharply like a man who'd just done 2 shows on not a heckuva lotta sleep. He softened up, looked at his watch and said "It is morning, innit?" 20 years ago and it seems like yesterday. While I can't immediately prove it beyond description, I still have the p'gram. That was the coolest.
Profile PM 
0 replies since April 10 2002, 12:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net