Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok tune used as a pre-quel< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
saturno3x1 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 31 2005, 05:59

Hello, everyone:

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but any of you realised that the whistle tune at the beginning of the "Roses" part (8:37) was used in another later Oldfield's LP? (Hint: It's the main tune in one of the LP's tracks - realeased as a single).

I wanted to comment it because I haven't seen any reference to that "coincidence" in tubular.net.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2005, 07:11

Quote (saturno3x1 @ Mar. 31 2005, 05:59)
Hello, everyone:

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but any of you realised that the whistle tune at the beginning of the "Roses" part (8:37) was used in another later Oldfield's LP? (Hint: It's the main tune in one of the LP's tracks - realeased as a single).

I wanted to comment it because I haven't seen any reference to that "coincidence" in tubular.net.

Are we talking Tubular Bells II?  Because I spotted that one too!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
saturno3x1 Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2005, 08:48

Jules:

Are we talking Tubular Bells II?  Because I spotted that one too!

:O No, I didn't mean that one. Which one is that???

Saturno3.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2005, 08:55

Quote (saturno3x1 @ Mar. 31 2005, 08:48)
No, I didn't mean that one. Which one is that???

I'm not sure where it is but there's a section in Amarok that really reminds me of The Bell section from TBII.  Of course this may be due to my being a cloth eared ninkumpoop. ;)

Which album did you mean?

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2005, 17:29

@ Saturno: yes, the Roses melody is identical to how "Let there be light" starts. I think Mike himself admitted that her re-used his old (Amarok) melody for TSODE.

@ Jules: if you refer to the ostinato guitar riff, it's something that's present all the way through Mike's career, ever since TB (1973). The fact that it sounds like TBII is because TBII was intentionally made to sound like TB (1973). :)
Anyway, there are various parts of Amarok which were previously heard, in one form or another, or are featured in later albums. For example, most of the Didlybom movement was already born in 1968 [check out one of the guitar improvisations on the Sallyangie bonus disc!]; the Scot movement was born in 1970 (check out the demos on the TB2003 DVD! :)]; the melody starting at 12:45 is, in a different key, the main theme of "The wind chimes". On the other hand, the melody that the voices sing at 33:13 sounds very like the piano at the end of "Sunjammer" (TBII), and, as Saturno noticed, the "Roses" melody reappears in TSODE.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
saturno3x1 Offline

Posted: April 01 2005, 02:41

familyjules:
>>due to my being a cloth eared ninkumpoop
:)

Ugo:
>>the melody starting at 12:45 is, in a different key, the main theme of "The wind chimes".

Right!

>>On the other hand, the melody that the voices sing at 33:13 sounds very like the piano at the end of "Sunjammer" (TBII),

Right!

That's one reason because I love Amarok: You can do research an investigate on these connections :)

Saturno3.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 01 2005, 08:23

Oh, by the way: there's more. With a little help from Steve Farrell's precious Amarok Analysis, I can state that:

- The guitars on Scot (11:54-12:04), inspired by the movement in TB (1973) corresponding to "A minor tune" in TB 2003, are reprised in "Blue saloon" (TBII).

- The rhythmic pattern of the Fast Waltz (22:10-22:23) is similar to the one used in "Serpent dream" (TBIII).

- The drum pattern of Africa II is, of course, very similar to the end of Ommadawn Part I.

There are many other resemblances to previous or subsequent works by Mike in Amarok, but these are the ones that I remember right now. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
6 replies since Mar. 31 2005, 05:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net