Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok In Heaven, Amarok meets Art In Heaven< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 20 2003, 08:42

After some thinking, I thought I'd go with a trend and release my Amarok fantrack that was made for The 3 Moons of Amarok fan contribution project. I only have an MP3 this time because it was made a while ago before I got into OGGs.

http://smc.sq7.org/brandon/amarokih.mp3

Think of Art In Heaven's off-beat hits at the beginning when you listen to the second part of my tune :). I thought these two pieces, though surprising, worked well mixed together.

PS - Be warned, some parts around the beginning are off-time a bit because I messed up when I was mixing it all together. Sorry about that. Perhaps I'll do it again sometime.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: April 20 2003, 18:09

Trying to work with the idees of the Master (and not his most easy-listening ones), kinda risky...

I don't like the ending of your 'first part', at 1:40, when you play the melody loud and then you stop. But I have to admit, I think if I had to make it, I would do something similar. There's not much choice if you want to put your second part behind it. Start immediatly like in Amarok would mess things up, and developping the melody to a more suitable ending wouldn't be appropriate for a contribution project...

I like the part that follows though. It's worth sacrificing the ending of the previous part to introduce this one. I like the drums!

From 2:49 on, you don't get the chords right, I think. It sounds a bit strange if you're used to Amarok.

At 3:21 you introduce the same 'disturbing' (for the outer world of course  ;) ) stresses as Mike does. Here, it hasn't the same contrast anymore with the soft, gentle background as it does in the original, but it still does its job. It still catches the spirit.

At 5:15, when 'la finale' starts (it rocks btw! ), I wouldn't re-use the cimbals any further then the start. Don't know why, matter of taste I guess. The chord at 5:27 sounds weird again, but for the rest the final ending is great!

It seems I've many complains here :D , but I think it's only because I'm comparing it with the original. But the fact that I make the comparison is good news on itself, isn't it! :cool:

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 

Posted: April 20 2003, 21:12

Thanks for your positive and negative feedback, Ancient. I made this about a year ago so my inexperience shows. I did mess up some chords in there. I also didn't like how to mix the first part with the second. Couldn't think of anything else, though. About the cymbols, I like things going nuts for big finales :). I guess that is a matter of taste. Also, about the comparison between this and the original, It isn't a straight remake of Amarok, no. I guess the transition of Amarok and Art In Heaven together kinda changed it a bit. Gotta be a little different anyway. I planned on having all kinds of guitars playing dischordant (yet in tune with eachother) notes on that near-end part of part 2 much like the original Amarok did, but I never got around to it.

Thanks again!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 21 2003, 18:45

I guess I cannot contribute anymore than Ancient already told you.

I just wanted to express my appreciation for experiments being made such as this one. And of course it's not perfect. It doesn't have to be as long as you get the final idea.

So keep on going, just keep this going in sight (now where have I heard this before?)

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 

Posted: April 21 2003, 20:07

Funney, I never really considered this an experiment. I was trying to think up a cool but different way to do an Amarok theme when I discovered that Art In Heaven and that calm theme near the very begininning with the voices on the original were kinda the same. They both were calm at first and had sudden loud off-time 'hits.'

Basically I just made what I felt like making. I don't really consider Amarok sacred like some people. I don't even consider Tubular Bells sacred. I don't even consider TSODE (my fav MO album) sacred! :) Music is music. What's good is good. I admit, what I ended up making was nowhere near what I wanted being too inexperienced (It's basically a MOD music file with guitar over it).

I appreciate your appreciation, Jael! :)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: May 06 2003, 19:19

Very nice work! I especially like the guitar sound which is very near to Oldfields sound from what I hear - both in the sound itself as in the playing style. I also like the calm rhythm connecting it all.
Profile PM 

Posted: May 06 2003, 21:25

Thank you, Mark 1. I'm glad somebody notices my guitar playing ability to be similar to Mike's. I really like the style. And while I try to do similar things, I kind of go my own way at the same time. It's been a while since I made this tune so my playing is probably more different now. But anyways, again thanks!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
SHINE Offline

Posted: May 10 2003, 11:38

Today it's not a great day for me (or my PC)
  This is the second time I try a link to listen to one of your themes and it doesn't work
   My PC says "page doesn't work"
   I tried the link in Google,said "couldn't be found"
But I'd like very much to listen to it...
   Any solutions?
Profile PM 

Posted: May 10 2003, 15:56

I'm not sure why it won't work. I've just tried it and it worked for me. I'm at a loss.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
SHINE Offline

Posted: May 10 2003, 16:17

Hi,Musically Inspired,
   The link works allright.I'm downloading.The only problem was that I didn't know that I had to right click+ save target as...I just clicked onn the link and it didn't get me there,I don't know why...
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: May 10 2003, 17:09

well done , like the guitaring .
  listening 2 it now with a bottle of wine ; )
Profile PM 
10 replies since April 20 2003, 08:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net