Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok Deluxe, An Ultimate Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
lordlucan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 28 2012, 09:44

Me, I'd have no problem with a deluxe edition as long as one disc is the existing Amarok we all know and love.

If the album was edited down from a (much?) longer recording, then disc 2 should be the longer work.

A completely different mix wouldn't bother me at all, as long as the original is still with us.

In other words, Mike, don't go all Edgar Froese on us, yeah?
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 28 2012, 11:13

No, DON'T go Edgar Froese. God how it pissed me off when I bought "Epsilon in Malaysian Pale" only to find out that the original (amazing) recording had been replaced with some sort of sick joke.
Big stickers should say "This recording has been messed up badly".

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 28 2012, 11:41

What exactly did Froese do? Not that familiar with TD beyond a few of the earliest albums.
Profile PM 
lordlucan Offline

Posted: May 29 2012, 10:00

Froese re-released a bunch of his solo work having remixed the bejaysus out of it and with lots of new synth parts added. I have no problem with this per se, as long as the original version remains available. But this does not appear to be the case here.

I have faith that Mr Oldfield won't pull a Froese, though - he's re-recorded Tubular Bells and remixed it, but the original version is still around too. If he does remix Amarok I expect that it'll be a double album along with the original.
Profile PM 
DelfĂ­n Offline

Posted: May 31 2012, 08:32

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ June 24 2009, 15:44)
I'd love to see Amarok Deluxe Edition...for me:

-the remastered CD featuring a newstereo mix made by Mike,as well as a 5.1 mix

-Amarok on LP

-U-MYX Amarok in full

Tati! I got 'Amarok' on L.P.!!!

Miraculously, because I seriously considered getting rid of it after my first listen back in '90.

Happy!!!!!!!! I didn't do it  :p  :D  :cool:  :) !!!!!!!!

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
pilotfish Offline

Posted: July 25 2012, 21:34

CD amarok + some demos

DVD 5.1 remix and featurette
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 03:40

Quote (lordlucan @ May 29 2012, 10:00)
Froese re-released a bunch of his solo work having remixed the bejaysus out of it and with lots of new synth parts added. I have no problem with this per se, as long as the original version remains available. But this does not appear to be the case here.

I have faith that Mr Oldfield won't pull a Froese, though - he's re-recorded Tubular Bells and remixed it, but the original version is still around too. If he does remix Amarok I expect that it'll be a double album along with the original.

"Hergest Ridge"

Although that did eventually get reversed (over thirty years later) :)

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Falc04 Offline

Posted: June 23 2013, 11:29

I just finished listening to this (and am tempted to replay it once again).  What a masterpiece!  As for a deluxe version, guess I agree with most here that a second CD of demos/outtakes would be fine.  Also, I wouldn't be totally upset if the remastered version of the CD contained tracks.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: June 23 2013, 16:22

Perhaps each CD could come with a pocket score of Amarok?

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
seventeen64 Offline

Posted: July 23 2013, 16:57

Does the original score still exist now? If it doesn't, it'd be a hell of a lot of work to pick apart (given how Amarok is)  :O

--------------
life is not one-dimensional
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: July 27 2013, 09:18

I have the original score so making pocket versions would be a doddle.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
seventeen64 Offline

Posted: July 27 2013, 15:34

Nice, something that'd really give some insight to the casual Amarok listener I think  :)

--------------
life is not one-dimensional
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 29 2013, 07:16

From what Mike has said, there is not much lying around that he didn't include on the album, but I have heard him play bits of  Amarok live on TV and radio, maybe they could be included on disc 2, and maybe a documentary about the album. I do feel Mike has missed a trick not making a documentary for each re-release. Unless he has been making one big documentary. Sorry, dreaming again!!!!
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2018, 02:56

Assuming Mike is still doing the deluxe releases of his albums, there is only Islands and Earth Moving between Amarok now, I can see Mike wanting to do a 5.1 mix of The Wind Chimes, so I can see Islands getting the deluxe treatment, with Earth Moving, I am wondering if he may just do a double release like with Discovery and The Killing Fields, as I can't imagine Mike not wanting to do a 5.1 mix of Amarok. Plus a re-release of Amarok would let a let more people become aware of this stunning album!!!
Profile PM 
33 replies since June 23 2009, 17:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net