Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok Deluxe, An Ultimate Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
dazzler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 23 2009, 17:30

AMAROK is one of Mikes last great albums.
I wondered how an ultimate rerelease of that album would look like.

Which bonus tracks should be on it?
Should we include lyrics, liner notes and some nice photographs?

TRACKLIST

Amarok

Sometimes you don't have to change a winning team.
I wonder if seperating the track (it would be easy ofcourse)
in different subtracks would be a good idea. It's great as it is now.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 03:38

Personaly I would seperate the tracks yeah,as long as they don`t have to have inapropriate or cosmic/new agey titles or something.Didlybom,Scot & Lion etc would suit me just fine in fact.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 09:44

I'd love to see Amarok Deluxe Edition...for me:

-the remastered CD featuring a newstereo mix made by Mike,as well as a 5.1 mix

-Amarok on LP

-U-MYX Amarok in full

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 11 2010, 20:22

If were talking about a deluxe edition, I would definitaly try to fit some of the already released amarok excerpts, if we want to delve really deep perhaps a no sound effects version? That may please some people not to keen on say the brushing teeth, however, some sounds may have to stay, like the huge breaking of glass before the first Reprise of the very first theme.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: July 13 2010, 11:39

Perfection is a state in which any change is always for the worse. Adding or substracting anything to Amarok, including a new mixdown and mastering, would be a crime!

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 13 2010, 16:14

I'm not sure how a new transfer, remix and mastered Amarok would be that much improved. It was most likely originally recorded digitally using the best technology of the time. Even if someone did a new mix it may not be as improved in terms of fidelity as the tape-based recordings.

Plus, as others have said, the version we already have is rather good. :)
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 14 2010, 17:52

Hmm.. maybe the sound effectless mix was a bit much, yet I see no problem in adding different songs from that era, and/or excerpts, which would help if one was trying to bring a friend or family member to enjoy Amarok

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: July 15 2010, 05:51

Then introduce them to easier on the ear albums such as TB or Ommadawn as we all have before getting into Amarok.

Don't ye touch me amarok OR I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN LIKE A DOG TO KILL YA WITH A FROZEN TROUT  :laugh:

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 15 2010, 06:29

Quote (Incantations @ July 14 2010, 17:52)
Hmm.. maybe the sound effectless mix was a bit much, yet I see no problem in adding different songs from that era, and/or excerpts, which would help if one was trying to bring a friend or family member to enjoy Amarok

No point in pussyfooting around. Just plonk your friend/family member on the couch, put on Amarok, and tell them if they move you'll start kicking butt!
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 25 2010, 19:09

Makes sense to me, however, I think you may want to tell Mike to put that on the box of the deluxe edition (should it be released). As it would be quite hard to tell everyone who buys Amarok that.

And it wouldn't be very deluxe if it didn't have any material that is new and/or collected from many sources. If it it was just Amarok it would simply be a re-issue (not a remaster, quality is already fine).

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 26 2010, 01:46

We have no idea (or at least I don't) what is left in the cupboard from the Amarok sessions.
If the idea was "Ommadawn II", then perhaps it gradually mutated into what it is now. Perhaps there are fragments of a "re-make" somewhere in there.
Or perhaps he had to start all over because the a-dat tapes wore out?  :D

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 26 2010, 21:01

Amarok was such a mad concept, just fit as much awesome themes into one song as possible, and it worked in-awesomably (in-awesomeably means well, just so you folks know)

With that frame of thought in mind, I wouldn't imagine Mike would dispose of a part of Amarok, as he left in such (well fitten) obstrousities like drinking water, breaking glass, and a Margaret Thatcher impersinator.

I think we may need to consult one 'o' them well informed folk like UGO or KORGSCREW.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
sikejsudjek Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2011, 11:36

There is a good argument for leaving it as it is, although personally I wish he'd make Amarok even longer, or consider a new Amarok II ! There are so many great themes and sections that seem too short. These could be expanded quite easily to make this an even more amazing work.

I'd also like a 5.1 mix and some of the synth blasts either removed or reduced in dynamic range. I like my speakers intact not in bits ! This is the one thing that annoys me - when turning up the sound to hear some of the awesome guitar playing only to be whacked round the head by a synth blast ! At least I know where they are now. I'm well prepared with the remote !

Maybe the Maggie Thatcher impersonation could be updated with another politician ? No idea who though. I'm not too bothered with most of the random effects although the robot h-h-h-happy sounds a bit dated now. Fantastic album which could be remade even better IMO.

Having said that the more times you listen to it the easier on the ears it gets, and the more you appreciate the genius behind it.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2011, 11:36

Quote (sikejsudjek @ Dec. 05 2011, 11:36)
There is a good argument for leaving it as it is, although personally I wish he'd make Amarok even longer, or consider a new Amarok II ! There are so many great themes and sections that seem too short. These could be expanded quite easily to make this an even more amazing work.

A hearty welcome, sikejsudjek!  I've attempted to sound your handle in my head, but guarantee it'll be wrong ;)

Mixed emotions here.  A delight of Amarok is how sections that could be songs by themselves are restricted to a few bars of concentrated brilliance.  I would assume though that some of the themes, whether they date from pre-1973, 1987 or whenever, existed in lengthier form at some point.  A lot depends on whether Mike decided to add or cut material once his decision was the more or less exact hour of music.  I think it was a case of subtraction, from the way some sections run directly into the next with no bridge to speak of.  But I often turn out to be talking a load of nonsense :laugh:

And save the stabs!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2011, 14:35

Hmm....that work had so much dynamic range and recording perfection, I can't see why anyone would feel the need to change it.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2011, 15:32

Logically I think the only real "deluxe" feature would be a surround mix - provided it was done with proper care and attention...I have not been impressed with most of the surround mixes from the previous re-issues...

It might be useful to include some sketches or demo's - maybe - if they can license it in - the bonus tracks on the sallyangie album like "Branches" which has Amarok themes in it...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2011, 17:34

Quote (Cudsie @ Dec. 13 2011, 21:32)
It might be useful to include some sketches or demo's - maybe - if they can license it in - the bonus tracks on the sallyangie album like "Branches" which has Amarok themes in it...

It could really be a great idea, but I doubt it will happen. Those tracks are owned by Transatlantic Records and right now they have licensed them only to Esoteric, which reprinted the album (and the bonuses). Universal would better be prepared to spill some beans (= money :D) if they really wish to include that track and the other one - "Mrs. Moon and the Thatched Shop " - in a potential Amarok reissue. I have doubts also about that.

I always considered those two tracks as the mother and father of Amarok (who's who, I don't really care! :D), and I always thought that it's absolutely incredible for Mike to have created such wonderful music back in 1968, when he was only 15. But then he did play his guitar (and he did play with his guitar) an awful lot, back then.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
bob the screamer Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2011, 12:35

Quote (Scatterplot @ Dec. 13 2011, 20:35)
Hmm....that work had so much dynamic range and recording perfection, I can't see why anyone would feel the need to change it.

Fully agree! I think it is the best sounding record I own.

--------------
New free album out:

http://www.bobthescreamer.com/music/twinety-twine/
Profile PM 
pilotfish Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2012, 06:54

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ June 24 2009, 09:44)
I'd love to see Amarok Deluxe Edition...for me:

-the remastered CD featuring a newstereo mix made by Mike,as well as a 5.1 mix

-Amarok on LP

-U-MYX Amarok in full

don't forget the demos on CD2 ;-)

and Amarok does exist on LP right now
Profile PM 
J1Star Offline

Posted: April 02 2012, 08:52

I cannot WAIT for this. Because IT WILL come. :P
I am in two minds about whether it should be separated into tracks or not though. I guess I don't mind either way.
Profile PM 
33 replies since June 23 2009, 17:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net