Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok, but without Thatcher, YT link down below< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ÜberForce Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 30 2020, 10:15

URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc64rsEZExc

this right here is a slightly re-edited version of Amarok from Mike Oldfield, with the only change of cutting (almost) every parts when Margaret Thatcher speaks at the end, not that i dislike her monologue, but it has nothing to do on an album, especially one as good as Amarok, i want to say that i didn't made this change myself, it's from a channel called "Paul"
here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdgFrhEfgehdHIsagjUZZXA
there is 2 reason for this upload, one, the album was cut in 2 parts, and two, for some reasons, "Paul" considered the two parts as "made for kids" which means: no comments, and most importantly, Miniplayer disabled, which is particularly annoying for phone users,
so all the credits goes to Paul, and of course, Mike Oldfield
Enjoy
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2020, 19:32

Like the Amish, Mike often seems to end his creations with something that "spoils" them. On Amarok it's the Thatcher stuff, onSongs of Distant Earth it's "a New Beginning", on Tubular Bells 2 it's "Moonshine", etc. Perhaps Mike doesn't really like his albums at all, he created them for some "unknown" reason, and THAT'S why he hasn't produced any recently. He simply doesn't want to. Conspiracy theories, anyone?  :laugh:
Profile PM 
ÜberForce Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2020, 13:16

i like Moonshine
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2020, 19:10

Quote (ÜberForce @ Oct. 01 2020, 13:16)
i like Moonshine

It's better to go to a Speakeasy  :D
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2020, 01:53

I like Moonshine too, the Thatcher stuff is just a bit of light hearted humor, which has always been a Mike Oldfield trait, but that is the end of Amarok, the final minute of Amarok is outstanding, and for me a fantastic ending to an incredible album.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2020, 19:59

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Oct. 03 2020, 01:53)
I like Moonshine too, the Thatcher stuff is just a bit of light hearted humor, which has always been a Mike Oldfield trait, but that is the end of Amarok, the final minute of Amarok is outstanding, and for me a fantastic ending to an incredible album.

And very good value for money! Buy your copy today!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2020, 15:19

come on people! don't you get the joke? at the [/I]end of the album "thatcher" drones this mealy-mouthed pap about beginnings and just when you think you want to kill her she tap dances[I] and takes a tumble.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2020, 05:23

There are parts of Amarok I'm not in love with. I made a nice edit once with all the dubious bits taken out. I would not touch the last 15 minutes though. That's a masterpiece.

Do you know? I really feel I could dance.  :p
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2021, 17:32

nightspore - i hear you on the irrelevant-to-the-composition endings which have always made me wonder whether mo has trouble with endings. to my possibly (cashmere)cloth ears it does sound that way. and much of the time those appendices are almost as annoying as the real thing banging on in one's belly.

but the thatcher bit is brilliant, especially when she tap-dances into a drum set. bc thatcher did a lot of damage to the country - tho not as far the the rich (including branson) were concerned.

2+2 and all that

you can't possibly remove thatcher from an album that is a string of everything loathsome in that time and place.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 28 2023, 16:58

I was just thinking today, I wonder if it would be able to remove Thatch using software. Those bits really do grate on me.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 29 2023, 04:06

But then it wouldn't be a 60 minute track!! I like the fact Mike composed something so long.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 29 2023, 06:05

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ June 29 2023, 04:06)
But then it wouldn't be a 60 minute track!! I like the fact Mike composed something so long.

I didn't mean remove the sections, I meant remove the voice. Same length.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Happy? Offline

Posted: June 29 2023, 10:43

I've been thinking of that as well. Just removing the voice. I think nowadays there must be clever software that can do that without spoiling the other voices and sounds.

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 29 2023, 11:12

Quote (Happy? @ June 29 2023, 10:43)
I've been thinking of that as well. Just removing the voice. I think nowadays there must be clever software that can do that without spoiling the other voices and sounds.

Exactly this.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 30 2023, 03:26

Maybe replacing it with a different voice? Boris?
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 30 2023, 04:38

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ June 30 2023, 03:26)
Maybe replacing it with a different voice? Boris?

How would that make anything more enjoyable? Jesus, what a horrible idea.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Happy? Offline

Posted: June 30 2023, 15:36

I just want to hear the tribes singing without being distracted by an imitated politician or whatsoever.

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
florencepugh Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2024, 21:19

Quote (ÜberForce @ Sep. 30 2020, 10:15)
URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc64rsEZExc

this right here is a slightly re-edited version of Amarok from Mike Oldfield, with the only change of cutting (almost) every parts when Margaret Thatcher speaks at the end, not that i dislike her monologue, but it has nothing to do on an album, especially one as good as Amarok, i want to say that i didn't made this change myself, it's from a channel called "Paul"
here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdgFrhEfgehdHIsagjUZZXA fnaf
there is 2 reason for this upload, one, the album was cut in 2 parts, and two, for some reasons, "Paul" considered the two parts as "made for kids" which means: no comments, and most importantly, Miniplayer disabled, which is particularly annoying for phone users,
so all the credits goes to Paul, and of course, Mike Oldfield
Enjoy

Many thanks!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2024, 01:56

I just realized that the end of Amarok is where Mike really went full Disney. I didn't think that happened until TB2.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
pauken Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2024, 07:42

Well, I thought I'd have a go at removing Mrs Thatcher. Used an AI tool to separate out her voice to remove the big opening speech and the "isn't that charming". Needed a bit of fixing up but here you go :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ups71tUHgC0
Profile PM 
21 replies since Sep. 30 2020, 10:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net