Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok, Mike's sleeve notes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CJJC Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 21 2012, 10:34

Amarok is one of my favourite albums. Richard Branson and Simon Draper at Virgin Records wanted to call the album Tubular Bells II because they thought it was so good. I felt that if anything, the album was closer to Ommadawn. It had a lot of similarities as it featured Clodagh Simmons on vocals and the bodhran (the Irish drum) was prominent. With Amarok, I decided to switch myself into creative mode. I was living in a house called Roughwood at the time and I had a lovely studio there. The atmosphere was nice and {I} decided that that I'd work every day from ten in the morning to six at night. I don't think I had a day off for three or four months, I just spent the time on the album. I approached the music by recording every idea that I thought of. I didn't spend time deliberating, I just put ideas down as I had them. I decided that I wouldn't use any sequencers or quantizing, the album would just feature me playing real live instruments.

I began recording with two bodhrans playing a pattern, I then added as I went on. I finished the process by recording 50 singers provided by the South African group Jabula at CTS Studios in Wembley. They translated my lyrics into the Xhosa language and it sounded magnificent. I also had the idea of having Margaret Thatcher speaking towards the end of the album, and Janet Brown did her magnificent Thatcher impersonation! There were other touches  such as having the sound of footsteps walking around an art exhibition. In my mind I could see the paintings. All these ideas came together. The whole piece was an improvisation. I think it's as good as Tubular Bells and will continue to stand alongside that album as one of my best for many years to come.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
0 replies since Aug. 21 2012, 10:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net