Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Am I going mad?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MyCoalField Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 16:10

I was tracking a discussion regarding the cover for the new album (which included some art ideas from a member) and it seems to have disappeared from the discussion listing???
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 16:47

it was moved to the Light and Shade forum.

http://tubular.net/forums....;t=4846

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 17:17

We do move things from time to time, when we feel they'd be better placed somewhere else (a bit like with this topic here!). This is especially the case with things in the General Discussion forum, as it tends to get very busy, so if we can move topics from there to somewhere they'll fit better, and avoid them getting buried by other topics so quickly, we will do. We're looking into various related matters at the moment, to make things a bit easier for everyone.

The search facility can be helpful in finding things which seem to have gone walkies (though I must say, I find it can be a bit eccentric...Inkanta tells me she has no problems with it, so perhaps it's just me who's eccentric!). Also quite handy is the new posts facility, which does what it says on the tin, and finds new posts, which ought to find a recently moved topic, as long as it's been posted in recently.
Profile PM 
MyCoalField Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 19:00

thanks guys.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 10:12

Quote (Korgscrew @ Aug. 13 2005, 16:17)
The search facility can be helpful in finding things which seem to have gone walkies (though I must say, I find it can be a bit eccentric...Inkanta tells me she has no problems with it, so perhaps it's just me who's eccentric!;).

Hmmm....well there are a couple of things regarding the search feature that could be described as "eccentric," but it seems to work fairly well. Here are some suggestions:

Search keywords: Truncating, i.e., using wildcards, can get a bit funky. "Beacon" retrieves "beacon(?)" without the wildcard, but it may be ignoring (?)-type characters. BTW, you will get non-relevant retrievals. "Beacon" brings up "beacon of light," the "beacon" as in airplane lingo, etc. Using the "AND" operator can help, e.g., beacon and hergest; of course, this could also exclude potentially relevant items.

Type of Search: Select "posts and topics" if you are searching the forums.

Forums: Highlight "all open forums" (especially with us moving things sometimes, hehe). Note: This will retrieve both open and closed topics.

Search in: Choose "topic titles and posts." If this database were comprised of millions of posts, I might suggest restricting your search to the topic titles, but you'd really miss relevant items by doing this, unless you know beyond a doubt the name of a specific topic you are attempting to retrieve.

Search from: Select "this year and newer" or any of the other date options and "newer" ("this week" or "today" if your brand-new topic has suddenly gone missing). "Newer" seems to be the operative thing here. When I experimented using "Mike and Religion" because a) it was a new topic; b) it wouldn't yield thousands of retrievals, I couldn't retrieve it by "this week and older" or "this month and older" for that matter.  I could get similar topics, but not the one started on 14 August. Searching "xxxx" and "newer" solves it. I suspect "this month and older" really means "older than this month."

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 18:46

I would just like to comment that Olivier and Korg have for many years kept this forum as the biggest and busiest Mike related site, along with many others helping.

There moderation of the forum has been quiet, and uncommented on, which I think proves how successful they have been. Closing topics about to descend into flames, but leaving all participants with thier pride intact, reigning in the excessive, linking topics in the sensible places.

I'm not a member of a huge number of fan sites, but the few others i use often fall into the flame wars, or become so muddled with irrelavant comments.

Now we have a couple of reliable people to help out with the admin tasks, I'm sure Korg can enjoy a bit more space and time. Especially as he has the joys of another multi-channel release to look forward to  :)

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 19:54

I'd use the Search option even more if there was a quick search function, with an edit box and a button besides. ;)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 14:04

The only quick search feature we could provide would be a separate page. Altering ikonboard itself would then make it a huge pain to upgrade, and I think it would infringe the licence as well.

You can do it using Google - just put in your search term(s) followed by site:tubular.net/forums
It don't think it's quite as comprehensive as the onboard search facilities here, though.
Profile PM 
7 replies since Aug. 13 2005, 16:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net