Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: All the chants< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 28 2000, 15:55

Listening to TSODE there are so many different chants to keep fans like us busy working out what they are. I'm surprised that no one has bothered to find out:

What the latin chant in LTBL is and means

What the significance of the Hindu chant in Only Time Will Tell is. Does it mean anything or is it just wordless singing?

Whether the Enigma-esque chant in Prayer for the Earth is proper words or just a drunk person singing in the bath, but with synth pads to make it sound good

What the latin (?) lyrics are in Hibernaculum and also the unprofessional sounding ethnic chants

and anything else like this. What about the English lyrics even? In Tubular World are they singing 'just enjoy it' and in Ascension (I think) is the person saying 'start' or 'it's hard' ?

To Olivier: I don't know whether this should be in this forum or the lyrcs and language forum. If you think it should be in the other one then please can you move it accordingly
Profile PM 
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2000, 13:07

The Latin chant in LTBL is 'Dominus mundus salvus' (God saves the world). Unfortunately I can't understand the chant on Hibernaculum.

I think the other chants hasn't any meaning. The chant on Prayer for the Earth might be a yodel.
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2000, 17:38

In Ascension, they are singing "start". In the beginning of "Tubular World" it's not really a chant, but you hear the word "Enter" and then what kind of sounds like a roller coaster taking off, not really sure about the chanting further along in it though

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2000, 12:02

In LTBL, I can also hear 'burning, melting, deforming' or 'dissolving'.
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2000, 13:12

What latin chanting in "Hibernaculum"?

The only thing I can hear is the Grigorian Chant by the Tallis Scholars (buddhist monks)

Hmmmmmmm, Hmmmmmmm, Hmmmmmmm, Hmmmmmm, Hmmmmmm, Hmmmmmmm!
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 15 2000, 05:17

I think that the "melting", "dissolving", etc. came from samples of a self-hypnosis tape (see the inlay on the SODE CD).

There is a tribal-style chant on Hibernaculum, I'm not sure what it is but it sounds slightly similar to a chant used by Delerium on their track "Enchanted" (at the beginning of the track). The chant is in the major (as in, not in minor key) part with the distorted guitars where the vocals are "ooooh oooh ohhh," etc., just before it returns to the minor section.

In the minor section is a Gregorian-style chant with words (the "Hmmmmm Hmmmm Hmmmmm HmmHmm Hmmmm" is from The Chamber).

I've got no idea what these words are, or what they mean.
Profile PM 
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2000, 10:37

I think rather 'Prepare yourself' in Lament for Atlantis are from the self hypnosis tape.

I have also noticed one more interesting thing: on LTBL I can hear 'burning, melting, dissolving' and in the video about the TSODE CD-ROM track at 2:30 I hear 'deforming'. Did somebody else noticed this difference? Or it's only because poor sound quality of the video?
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 20 2000, 12:00

as part of the latin chant, later in the song, i hear 'ornken, ornken' repeated/
any idea?
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2000, 11:00

I can hear the following chant on Hibernaculum:

calarus dormito
caslitus dormito
lenis cunchani
et le mundus trescari
cantirus dormito
calarus dormito

On Crystal Clear, I hear 'no' (or 'now'?) and 'dissolving' but there are a few words I can't understand. At the beginning of Ascension somebody says 'I don't know what the hell... I think that...'
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2001, 08:29

The Hibernaculum chant is surely Latin. Some of it has a grammatically correct meaning, some other has not. What I hear is:

Laudamus Domino [Let's praise the Lord]

??? [I couldn't get this...any help? wink]

Pleni sunt cæli [The Heavens are full (of Thy glory) - from the "Sanctus" prayer.]

Mundus vesperus [The world in the evening]

Cantimus Domino [Let's sing to the Lord - grammatically incorrect, it should be "Cantàmus Domino"]

Laudamus Domino [as above]

Any more ideas?

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 25 2001, 17:22

Could be 'transmutus dormitus' [changing the shape in the sleep]. That would make sense with the title 'Hibernaculum'. But I'm not sure at all.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
ChiRho Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2001, 05:34

I do not have TSODE, but it may be "wordpainting" or "pseudo-Latin" i.e. using almost random words from Latin (or suchlike) in a manner that looks and reads like genuine sentences, but are in fact complete gibberish, or using genuine sentences in a random order that makes little or no sense. That might explain why some of the chants can be translated from original Latin, and others seem impossible to understand. Examples include Conquest of Paradise by Vangelis (theme music for film of same name).

But I am not sure (since I don't have or have never listened to TSODE) so don't shoot me if I'm wrong.

--------------
<P>Mr. ChiRho
Email to chirho@mine.nu.almost (guess what drops)
Visit ChiRho Network Central [URL=http://www.chirho.i12.com/]http://www.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Check the forums (topic suggestions still welcome[URL=http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/]http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Profile PM WEB 
Pikalcazar Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2001, 12:47

I don't understand latin but I've got a friend who can help with this...

P.D.: And if we ask directly 2 Mike?? xDDDDD
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: May 04 2001, 15:23

HI EVERYONE, IT'S THE YEAR 2001 AND I'VE JUST DISCOVERED THIS GREAT SITE!
MY NAME IS DIMITRA, I LIVE IN ATHENS - GREECE, AND I'D LIKE TO ADD ONE MORE PUZZLE: THERE'S ALSO AN ORTHODOX GREEK CHANT IN "TSODE" SUNG BY A FEMALE VOICE, DURING "ONLY TIME WILL TELL" AND "ASCENSION". UNFORTUNATELY, I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO MAKE IT OUT. ANY HELP IS MORE THAN WELCOME.
THANKS!
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2002, 17:15

Hi everyone!

Some day I listened to the Art In Heaven-version of Sunlight Shining Through Cloud and I noticed that the vocalist man says "I don't need nobody" more times. These words have no meaning if I know (I'm not English). You can hear it also in the original version but it isn't so prominent there. What could it be?
----

At the beginning and at the end of Peace On Earth a female voice sings a Latin(-like?) expression sounding something like "Adete". What do you think it is?

Thanks

EeToN

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 14 2002, 20:40

'I don't need nobody' might just be a case of using a double negative to give it a bit more 'attitude' (it being a slangy way of saying 'I don't need anybody' ). It sounds, to me, way too much like English words for it to be one of these cases where lyrics written in one language resemble words in another, but someone may prove me wrong...
It could be a statement of independence and freedom - that these slaves can live their own lives instead of being tied to somebody.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2002, 10:22

Hi everyone!

I tried to get the correct version of the Latin lyrics from Hibernaculum, but I realised that it isn't available anywhere. So I took a Latin dictionary from the net, and I tried to write down the correct version. It wasn't easy at all, and even now it may contain some bugs. So here it is:

Cadarus dormito
(Sleeping corpse)
Translitus dormito
(Sleeping covered over)
Meli sunt cani
(Melodies are sung)
Tene mundus des cari
(Keep the mankind standing heavy sleep)
Cantivus dormito
(Celebrated sleeping)
Cadarus dormito
(Sleeping corpse)

It's repeated twice but the second repeat doesn't contain the two middle lines.

I suppose that the first two rows should be perfect. The next two lines might bear bugs:
Probably the 'Meli' should be 'Meni' but it doesn't mean anything according to the dictionary.
'Cani' means 'sung' but it also means 'wise', 'old', 'white' and 'celebrated'. I suspect that this line should be approx. "They are old", but the 'Melodies are sung' is correct, too.
'Tene' and 'des' are second person singular verbs so I'm not sure at all that it's gramatically correct in English. And I lack an 'in' before 'heavy sleep'.
I think the last two lines are correct.

If anybody speaks Latin well, please comment this lyrics!

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2002, 17:45

Sorry, but I have to repeat what I already wrote:

1) Laudamus Domino [Let's praise the Lord]
2) ??? < the only line I can't get.
3) Pleni sunt cæli [The Heavens are full (of Thy glory) - from the "Sanctus" prayer.]
4) et mundus vesperus [andhe world in the evening]
5) Cantimus Domino [Let's sing to the Lord - grammatically incorrect, it should be "Cantàmus Domino"]
6) Laudamus Domino [as above

I've studied (ancient) Latin an the university, and the above is the only transcription that makes sense. Trust me. :)

PS: Have any of you wondered if this is really supposed to make any sense? Can't it be just wordpainting / pseudo-Latin? Like in Requiem for a City (TKF) ?  ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ecco
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 22 2002, 12:40

Hi , it's great to find this forum ! (there IS intelligent life on earth )                                                                     Mike once told me that the chants (at least up to Five Miles Out) were basically "nonsense syllables" that he used as "grace notes". Hope this is helpful.
EeToN Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2002, 09:25

Dear Ugo!

Sorry, but I don't agree with You. :) I know You've studied Latin, but there are words that are audibly different from your version:

> 1) 6) Laudamus Domino

Please, listen to this line at 1:54. In my opinion the third syllable of the first word doesn't begin with an 'M', and I think it should be an 'R'. The third syllable of the second word should start with a 'T' even though there is a bass drum sound trammeling the discrimination. My most conclusive argument of 'Cadarus dormito' is its meaning.

Cadarus: NOUN, SINGULAR, NOMINATIVE or ACCUSATIVE
corpse, cadaver, dead body

Dormito: PARTICIPLE, PERFECT, PASSIVE
sleep, rest, go to sleep, fall asleep, be idle, do nothing

I suppose it is more alliable to the conception of Hibernaculum.

> 2) ???

I think it's obvious that the second word coincides with the previous second word. The first word isn't so evident, but IMHO it could be 'translitus'.

Trans: PREFIX
- across, - over

Litus: PARTICIPLE, PERFECT, PASSIVE
plaster (with), cover, overlay

I have the same opinion about this as above: it's very close to the conception.

> 3) Pleni sunt caeli

As I mentioned, I had problems with this line, so I took your version as a potential solution.

> 4) Et mundus vesperus

It's quite evident that the last word doesn't terminate with 'us'. What is more, I hear the whole word otherguess. For instance, IMHO the 'v' is actually a 't' or a 'd' or something similar (2:10). And from the beginning of the line you missed a syllable. I think of 'Tene mundus des cari' because:

Tene: VERB, IMPERATIVE, second person singular
keep, hold, possess, preserve, master; remember

Mundus: NOUN, SINGULAR, NOMINATIVE
universe, heavens, world, mankind

or
Mundus: ADJECTIVE, SINGULAR, NOMINATIVE
clean, cleanly, nice, neat, elegant, delicate, refined, pure

(I'm not sure of this word at all because of its grammatic usage: )
Des: VERB, SUBJUNCTIVE, second person singular
give, dedicate, sell, pay, allow, devote, bestow, send to die, give birth, utter, allow

(It could be also this for instance: )
Stes: VERB, SUBJUNCTIVE, second person singular
stand, stand still, remain, rest

Cari: NOUN, PLURAL, NOMINATIVE or SINGULAR, GENITIVE
heavy sleep, stupor, sleep of death ( !!! )

or
Cari: ADJECTIVE, PLURAL, NOMINATIVE or SINGULAR, GENITIVE
dear, beloved, precious, valued

> 5) Cantimus Domino

The second word is the same word as in the first and second line (IMHO 'dormito' ). The first word could be 'cantivus':

-iv- : PREFIX
having been ...-ed, passive tendency

Cant(iv)us: ADJECTIVE, SINGULAR, NOMINATIVE
sing, celebrate, chant, crow, recite, play music, foretell

I think these words are quite close to the concept of Hibernaculum, so I presume they're not simply pseudo-Latin or diffuse Latin words.

If I wrote any ungrammatical structures in the lyrics, please, indicate them to me!

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
30 replies since Oct. 28 2000, 15:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net