Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: All the chants< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 25 2002, 17:36

EeToN, sorry again... I don't want to argue with you too much because it seems very evident to me that I base my theories on different sources from you... but have you ever sung Gregorian chant? Well, I did :). In Gregorian chant, you often lenghten vowels to cover more than one note, and that's why line 4 is 'e-et mundus vesperu(s)'... [I hear no 'I' in the final part... the vowel is too 'close' to be an I.]  I think that this piece is clearly recognizable as an Enigma-imitation fake Gregorian chant. Just listen to Sadeness Part 1 and you'll hear a very good example of real Gregorian chant.
BTW, something has improved in line 2: now I hear is as 'Càslitus Domitò' which makes absolutely no sense :) (see below).

Plus, have you realized that in your transcription none of the lines makes sense if translated literally into English? Here's the literal translation of 'your' latin transcript:

1) Corpse slept [NOT "sleeping"  - it's a past participle :)]
2) Covered across slept

4) Keep the world you give stupors (???)
5) Sung slept ['Cantivus' doesn't exist in ANY Latin dictionary I've browsed.]
6) Same as 1.

Plus (to end it), I still hear your presumed 'Dormito' (which, remember, means nothing else but 'slept' and NOT 'asleep' ) as 'Dòmino'. The 'T' IMHO is due to the choir's heavy English accent.

Well... End of discussion... let's shake hands, OK? ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2002, 17:44

P.S.: I don't think that "Dormito" exists at all as a Latin word. But I'll need some further studies to estabilish this for sure.  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2002, 09:51

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 25 2002, 17:36)

OK, I give it up. :)

I forgot to tell You that I'm not a professor of Latin and English grammar, so the type of words wasn't exactly clear for me. (I'm Hungarian and this language is a bit different from those.) :)

P.S.: But don't You think that these words: sleep, corpse, sleep of death might be in any form in the lyrics. They are so close to the meaning of Hibernaculum.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2002, 10:16

Just one further addition: in Middle Ages Latin, "Hibernaculum" simply means "a place to rest". (This does not imply death or even sleep.) The chant is conceived as an Enigma-like fake Gregorian chant and I don't think that the words are really connected with the piece.  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2002, 10:13

I have a new idea: dormido. It's a noun or an adjective. What do You think of it? :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2002, 16:30

Dormido = asleep [Spanish, not Latin. :)] And I don't think it's in Hibernaculum.  ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2002, 06:31

But 'dormido' means 'in a/the state of sleep' in Latin language.

What is more, according to a New Latin Word List on the net 'dormito' means 'to be sleeping'.

:)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2002, 15:09

Oh well, EeToN. I still think that neither 'dormito' nor 'dormito'  exist in classical/church Latin [the language that Hibernaculum is supposed to be in.] If you found it in a New Latin list, I can't do anything about it, can I?  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2002, 05:19

It definately sounds like "Dormito", but I really wouldn't know. I'm reading the book for the second time (just started yesterday and I'm halfway through it already! ) and from what I have picked out about the Hibernaculum (prehaps I've missed something, I've only seen it once) I don;t have a clue what it does. Seems to be something about virtual reality. I'll just get the book... <Several minutes later> no, can't find it, but it definately was something about virtual reality, recreating scenes, something like that.

I've been listening to Hibernaculum a lot (great song! ) and I'm just going through the differing transcriptions. In regards to Ugo's first translation, it most definatly sounds like "Dormito" on several occasions, but I suppose they may have pronounced it wrong, though you would expect Mike to have fixed it then. I didn't know anything about New Latin or all of them, I had no idea they existed. All the others sound alright except for "Mundus vesperus" , I am sure there is a "I" on the end. EeToN's transcription seems, phonetically, to make more sence.

I suppose this cound just be fooling around with impressive sounds, or maybe Mike told the choir to make something up on the spot (I'm thinking of Ommadawn here), but having two translations to english makes me think otherwise. Ugo's translation mentions God a lot, but the book specifically mentions that God does not have a place in the 'colony worlds' that TSODE is based on. Once I find out what the Hibernaculum actually is I may be able to write more, but EeToN's translation does seem more relevent. But maybe that wasn't Mike's point.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2003, 21:43

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 09 2002, 15:09)
Oh well, EeToN. I still think that neither 'dormito' nor 'dormito'  exist in classical/church Latin [the language that Hibernaculum is supposed to be in.] If you found it in a New Latin list, I can't do anything about it, can I?  :)

Yes, I plunged into Hibernaculum again.  :D

Some links:

<a href="http://latin.realdictionary.com/Latin....dormito

<a href="http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0059%3Aentry%3D%2314753">Perseus - dormito</a>

So 'dormito' is definitely there, IMHO. Although the word 'cadarus' isn't right, I have to admit. But I'm searching for new solutions. :D

Raven4x4x, thank you for your comments!  :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2011, 10:58

This whole topic is all over the place yet it is very interesting so I will just add this, readers of this please also note that there is much more written on this subject under various topic headings and if you follow this link it will take you to another topic where upon the subject is further discussed:-
http://tubular.net/forums....;t=5101

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
30 replies since Oct. 28 2000, 15:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net