[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Album most like Ommadawn?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 27 2007, 07:59

Quote (hiawatha @ Oct. 26 2005, 20:23)
A similar question about "Ommadawn" over in the "Ommadawn" section of the forum might be interesting, but I'll leave it to another to ask if they want to.

Well, I'll bite. What album by another artist is the most similar to Ommadawn? Personally, at the moment, I have no idea. I'll try to think of something though. But I will be interested to read other people's thoughts on this.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: June 27 2007, 18:53

When I saw the question, Ken Baird's first album called 'August' came to my mind. The similarity isn't striking but very subtle, it can be that only my mind associates them. The atmosphere, the spaciness, something like that. Anyway, 'August' is a nice, melody-based album, in structure it's like an inverse 'Five Miles Out', and Baird is obviously an Oldfield fan, though the album lacks electric guitars (while acoustic ones are present).

You can listen into the first track here:
http://www.kenbaird.net/discography.html

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 28 2007, 19:42

I've given this some thought and have come up with a few things. The first isn't an album, but only a track - "Variations on My Lady Carey's Dompe", by John Renbourn. It is a well known fact that Mike was heavily influenced by Renbourn in his formative years, and indeed the similarity in the guitar playing is striking; yet it appears that this track dates to 1985 (from the album "The Nine Maidens"), so the influence might actually be going both ways. If I didn't know better and someone tried to sell this to me as an unreleased, early MO track, I'd have no troubles believing it.

The other is the album "Renaissance of the Celtic Harp", by Alan Stivell. It mixes traditional, classical, and rock arrangements of traditional Breton, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh music, and in places gets quite close to the Ommadawn sound.

Lastly, and I'm a bit hesitant to say this, because I'm usually among the first to cry "bullshit" at any comparisons between Mike and a certain well-known Frenchman; but I remembered that I once listened to Equinoxe and found the ending of side one (part 4) quite similar to the ending of Ommadawn part one - not stylistically, but in structure and effect. Listening to the track again, I don't find the similarity as striking as I did back then, but there's still something there, and I'm willing to believe that Jarre was indeed inspired by Mike's album to let the first side of his end in a similar manner. Of course it could also just be coincidence.

Quote (EeToN @ June 28 2007, 00:53)
You can listen into the first track here:
http://www.kenbaird.net/discography.html

Nice track, and yes, definitely an Oldfield influence there I'd say.
Profile PM 
Balbulus Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2009, 16:40

I can't say I have come across any album that is similar to the whole of Ommadawn, but one album that for me evokes the same "misty, rainy, celtic" feeling as the opening movement is "Bagpipes On The Beach", the debut album from Australian/Welsh global-folk act Kangaroo Moon. Despite the title, there is no bagpipe on the album at all, instead it's a fantastic brew of folk roots, dub/reggae, and ethnic influences (esp. didgeridoo). The first track "Lily Loch" has that same feeling I mentioned earlier.

If you're so inclined you can check out the album on my blog The Woodsman's Axe.
Profile PM 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2009, 09:59

I've said this before, but the pipe tune is a variation of the basic Ommadawn melody. Everything on side 1 AND side 2 is. Including On Horseback.You can see for youself - you can sing the words to On Horseback to every section. Now, it is most stretched on Paddys Tune - you have to drop some of the words - but you can see the chordal progression is there.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2009, 12:28

And if that's the case then that goes back to A Sad Song For Rosie from 1968/69.I think that's stretching the point somewhat mate.Ommadawn is based on a really simple little folk tune.Or rather 2.Check out The Making Of Ommadawn from All You Need Is Love and The Essential Mike Oldfield video.Both are on Youtube and in it Mike explains the origins of Ommadawn.I agree that are endless repeats of the first cuople of themes but Paddy's Tune is in fact older.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2009, 11:23

Weird; I meant to add this to the Paddy's Tune thread, not surehow it ended up here.
The Caveman; I agree! What I wrote does imply the origins of Ommadawn go back to A Sad Song for Rosie!
I've got the DVD of All You Need is Love; and had a ropey (cassette player next to the TV) audio recording of it for the last however many years. I know what it says.
I repeat what I wrote - try it for yourself. Singing the lyrics of On Horseback (which has the two tunes - the verse and the chorus are the two tunes), you'll see how it fits every section. Including the start of side two - where it is the tune played slowly; and the bazouki dance at the end (where the tune is speeded up).
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2009, 12:31

I can sort of see the bazouki bit.I'll try the rest later.HR is like this too.There's only a few themes repeated in different 'settings' but then that's part of Oldfields charm i think.

--------------
Profile PM 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2009, 06:32

Agree!
I can remember a few moments of delight when i realised how he repurposed tunes on Hergest Ridge with completely different instrumentation. I think it's a pity he moved away from doing that. Although you get the odd moment in later albums.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2009, 07:21

Side one of HR is almost all based around the opening theme played on tin whistle.If you can work out how to play it on whatever instrument you can play (it's a very simple little tune to play) you'll find it turns up in so many variations but 'disguised' in much the same way as on Ommadawn.Maybe it's played in the bass register or it's re-arranged against a minor backdrop or whatever.Never ceases to amaze me how such simple tunes can be employed to make so much music.

--------------
Profile PM 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2009, 09:42

oh..interesting...didnt realise it went that far. I'll give it a whirl.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2009, 10:14

Same tune re-appears on side 2 as well.

--------------
Profile PM 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2009, 03:57

well, that was a blast. To find something new in munsic you've been listening to for 35 years! I guess I'd just not thought about it, but to find the whole of side 1 was variations on a theme....man that guy was a genius.
Thanks for that!
(Yes, I'd noticed the references on side 2)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2009, 04:14

You're very welcome.I've listening to it for around 29-30 years and still find something new now and then.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2009, 10:14

Quote (Balbulus @ Sep. 15 2009, 16:40)
the debut album from Australian/Welsh global-folk act Kangaroo Moon.

Well, throw another leek on the barbie, boyo-sport!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2009, 15:28

Surprised no-one (including me) has mentioned Tom Newman's "Faerie Symphonie". Two other albums I've thought of that are sort of similar-ish; both of them film soundtracks:

- "The Englishman who went up a Hill but came down a Mountain", by Stephen Endelman; nice mix of folkloristic themes (the film is set in Wales), morriconesque choral arrangements, and Nyman-ish parts.

- "Mise Éire", by Séan Ó Riada, a legendary film in Ireland or so I understand. (Never seen the film, only have the soundtrack album.)

A thought that struck me, though, is that while both this thread and the Incantations one haven't been particularly productive, a similar thread about Hergest Ridge would probably yield many more results. In fact, all three albums I've mentioned above could be argued to be closer to HR than Ommadawn, and I could think of a few other albums / pieces that are sort of similar to HR as well (for example, Egdon Heath by Gustav Holst, and a few things by David Bedford). Obviously Hergest Ridge is still one of a kind, but it seems much easier there to think of music that is somewhat similar. Any thoughts on that?
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2009, 18:58

'Journey to an Imaginary Land' from Austrian Gandalf, an album from 198o featuring first-Genesis era guitarist Steve Hackett. Recurring melodies, huge atmospheres, ethnic feelings, clever guitar & synth orchestrations, and a very open air - seventies countryside kind of feeling. Directly inspired in Oldfield's moods by no mistake, but with a quality and with an entity of it's own. My favourite track is 'Foreign Landscape', the 2nd one.

I'm sure everybody that listens to the album will agree with me.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2010, 03:50

No idea - but definitely NOT Amarok.  Makes my toes curl when I hear it called Ommadawn II (check the Allmusic review for one) - such a false comparison.

They both have some african drums, the odd celtic pipe - end of similarity.  I love both - but goodness.  If I see another - 'I bought Amarok because the review said it was kind of an Ommadawn II' - poor silly sods.

Can I say sods?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2010, 10:09

It has bits from the albums either side of it IMO.The start of side 2 is very Hergest Ridgeian in it's construction and emphasis on texture so it's similar to that.Then the African drums re-appear on Incantations part 2 so there's a similarity there.I can hear similarities with Amarok (sorry but i can)but i don't think there is a single album in his whole cannon of work that you can really say is similar.Ommadawn exists in it's own world that crytalises everything that's so good about the man's work.

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 25 2010, 19:04

Listen to 'Return of the Guardians' from David Arkenstone. No doubt if you like 'Ommadawn' you will like this one.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
33 replies since June 27 2007, 07:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net