Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Album most like Incantations?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 26 2005, 08:47

What album/cd/etc do you find to be most like "Incantations"?

The answer must be something by an artist other than Mike Oldfield, since "Ommadawn" and "Hergest Ridge" might be very obvious answers). Albums by Terry Oldfield are OK answers (I've never heard him, but I know he plays that flute...).

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2005, 13:37

Well, Terry Oldfield's Icon has indeed some similarities to Incantations. It's repetitive but still melodious (the main melody goes on through the whole album), contains woodwinds, vocals, synths, acoustic guitar, vibraphone and ethnic-like drums - it's kind of majestic and it has a special, darky atmosphere. Among Terry's albums I know it's certainly the most similar to Incantations.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2005, 14:17

Maybe a strange answer, but I guess Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden...

It's a beautiful album (don't know if anyone's familiair with their latest two experimental albums?), but it comes really close if you look at the atmosphere and the peacefulness (if that's a word) and calm feeling...
The instrumentation is a little different, but the feel is the same :) .

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2005, 14:23

Thanks. I'll get both!

A similar question about "Ommadawn" over in the "Ommadawn" section of the forum might be interesting, but I'll leave it to another to ask if they want to.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 29 2007, 10:16

Off the top of my head, I'd say Music for 18 Musicians by Steve Reich. It's not that similar of course, but then there are some obvious similarities. I can't really think of anything else at the moment. However, on "Millions Now Living Will Never Die" by Tortoise, there is a part that reminds me very much of Incantations (so much that I can only assume it's intentional), but it's not a very long part IIRC.
Profile PM 
fragile Offline

Posted: May 29 2007, 13:55

yes Holger is right. I think Incantations is a mixture of Reich´s Music for 18 Musicians (the minimalist Drive/Patterns etc) and of course the magic from David Bedfords The Odyssey. Also the instrumentation is something between these two works. You have to listen to these 2 works!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 29 2007, 16:52

I think Incantations is like a mix of Philip Glass ca "Einstein on the Beach" and David Sylvain ca "Gone to Earth". Try both! Excelent albums.

On the other hands, Incantations is a very unique album that doesn't really sound like anything else I've ever heard. Mike's earlier albums had strong folk elements, and the post-Incantations albums are more rock. Incantations is neither.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
fragile Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2007, 04:43

There is a new 6 part video doku about steve reich on youtube.
search on youtube for:

Steve Reich - South Bank Show
Profile PM 
ettlz Offline

Posted: April 06 2008, 18:17

Quote (larstangmark @ May 29 2007, 16:52)
I think Incantations is like a mix of Philip Glass ca "Einstein on the Beach" and David Sylvain ca "Gone to Earth". Try both! Excelent albums.

Those bits at the beginning and end of Part 1 are stunning. I first heard Incantations by accident and thought it was a either a Glass shard or something by Reich (certainly evokes 18). And then I found out it was Mike. :cool: It's a minimalist masterpiece --- I wish he did more minimal stuff!
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: April 14 2009, 13:22

Minimal, and apparently mathematical aswell.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2010, 12:46

Listening to David Bedford's "Instructions For Angels" right now and it has be the album most like Incantations. I even wonder if Mike didn't nick a few ideas for his own album (or was it the other way around? I think both albums were released in 1977!;).
Thinking Incantations minus guitar plus Wendy Carlos!  :laugh:
It's difficult to describe, but it's bloody good actually. I had only David's more difficult stuff before (Star's End, Star Clusters etc).
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 05 2010, 19:43

I'd say (but I don't listen to a lot of different music so my opinion is not worth much) Incantations is the most like Incantations. Each part of the album makes think of the album itself. It has a strong personality. 2nd with strong personality, I'd say Amarok (well, actually no, because of the music from the balcony). And all the rest, I think we can say that some parts make think of some other stuff.
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2010, 08:54

I really like Steve Reich. I haven't heard incantations yet But I just wanted to say that Steve Reich is awesome and way way way better than Philip Glass  :D

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2010, 16:14

look at http://www.18musicians.com for a fans website dedicated to this brilliant piece of music by Steve Reich.  the fan likes Mike Oldfield as well!!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2010, 17:49

Quote (HR lover @ Nov. 06 2010, 14:54)
I really like Steve Reich. I haven't heard incantations yet But I just wanted to say that Steve Reich is awesome and way way way better than Philip Glass  :D

You love HR, you really like Steve Reich, and you haven't heard Incantations yet? I have a very strong recommendation what to do next for you...  :D
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2010, 17:57

Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 05 2010, 18:46)
Listening to David Bedford's "Instructions For Angels" right now and it has be the album most like Incantations. I even wonder if Mike didn't nick a few ideas for his own album (or was it the other way around? I think both albums were released in 1977!;).
Thinking Incantations minus guitar plus Wendy Carlos!  :laugh:
It's difficult to describe, but it's bloody good actually. I had only David's more difficult stuff before (Star's End, Star Clusters etc).
Lars T

Yes, Mike definitely "nicked" ideas from David Bedford, though in the case of Incantations, they're more likely to come from David's previous album "The Odyssey" (quite similar in sound to Instructions for Angels, and also featuring Mike). I think fragile got it about right saying that Incantations is a mix of Music for 18 Musicians and The Odyssey.

If you like both albums (The Odyssey and Instructions for Angels), I also recommend checking out "Rigel 9". Also, I recommend to any fan of Mike's early output Bedford's Recorder Concerto featured on this CD. It really is a lot like Hergest Ridge.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2010, 09:34

The techno equivalent to Incantations is with no doubt a masterpiece that Anthony Phillips made in 1981: '1984'.

Although Anthony Phillips is the former guitarist of Genesis, in this album he created a massive synthesiser Opus with a very futuristic feel based on games and sequences and scales very much in the vain of Incantations. With no doubt he must have heard the work previously.

I hope if anybody tries this album you can tell your opinion about it. For me, '1984' is one of the most complex, original and envolving albums I've ever heard.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2010, 12:42

David Bedford once told me he thought Incantations was a "pain in the arse" but I think he was referrring to having to do the Orchestration for the Exposed tour, which I imagine was hard work.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 09 2010, 12:26

Quote (Delfín @ Nov. 07 2010, 09:34)
The techno equivalent to Incantations is with no doubt a masterpiece that Anthony Phillips made in 1981: '1984'.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have his Slowdance,which I absolutely love.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2010, 05:30

Funny how my absolutely all time favourites - MO and Genesis - again and again somehow (persons/reflections etc) are linked together. Nice...
Profile PM 
28 replies since Oct. 26 2005, 08:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net