[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Album most like Incantations?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sammy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 12:46

Quote (hiawatha @ Oct. 26 2005, 15:47)
What album/cd/etc do you find to be most like "Incantations"?

Well... apart from the Reich and Bedford works already mentioned, and maybe bits and pieces of Glass (no pun intended), there's not very much stuff around that would sound like Incantations - and IMO that's a good thing, it's more unique that way; in fact I'm glad Mike himself did not follow it with similar albums.

But I thought I'd mention a Finnish prog-rock group Uzva (you might translate that as "Mizt", "usva" means "mist"), who actually pay a relatively obvious homage to Mike's Incantations on their excellent "Niittoaika" album - here's the bit that most certainly has been influenced by both the flutes in Pt 1 and the vibes on Pt 4... (it's on the band's own web pages so there's no copyright infringement of any sorts)

Uzva home page / Drontti excerpt

Home page: http://www.uzva.utopisti.org/

The rest of the album is not so much "like Oldfield" but certainly they have taken a cue or two from that direction. Worth getting if you can find it - seems to be available on the UK Amazon at least.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2013, 02:32

Quote (Holger @ May 29 2007, 10:16)
Off the top of my head, I'd say Music for 18 Musicians by Steve Reich.

Wow, thankyou I have just heard that album for the first time and OMG what a beautiful piece of music.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2013, 13:40

Quote (First_Excursion @ Oct. 23 2013, 08:32)
Quote (Holger @ May 29 2007, 10:16)
Off the top of my head, I'd say Music for 18 Musicians by Steve Reich.

Wow, thankyou I have just heard that album for the first time and OMG what a beautiful piece of music.

Indeed! That's very cool that such an old post of mine has pointed you to this great piece. Time I gave it another listen myself, actually. I remember very well the first time I heard it, I thought "right, so this is where Mike got that from!" :)
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2013, 11:47

Much as I love "Music for 18 Musicians" I don't think it had much influence on Incantations. Much more likely candidates are Philip Glass (especially Music in Fifths which has a similar "math rock" intricate structure) and Terry Riley "In C" (the opening figure of which was supposedly the inspiration for the opening riff of  Tubular Bells...there's a synth arpeggio somewhere on Incantations which is a dead ringer for one of the organ riffs on "In C'...

...I'm sticking to my "David Bedford" wrote it theory though!!

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2013, 14:08

Quote (Priabonia @ Oct. 24 2013, 17:47)
Much as I love "Music for 18 Musicians" I don't think it had much influence on Incantations. Much more likely candidates are Philip Glass (especially Music in Fifths which has a similar "math rock" intricate structure) and Terry Riley "In C" (the opening figure of which was supposedly the inspiration for the opening riff of  Tubular Bells...there's a synth arpeggio somewhere on Incantations which is a dead ringer for one of the organ riffs on "In C'...

Well - Glass, Reich, and Riley are sort of the "holy trinity" of so-called minimalist music (I don't think any of the three likes the term, but that's what it gets called anyway), and I think it's more than likely that Mike was equally aware of all three. The Riley piece that influenced the TB opening was, I think, "A Rainbow In Curved Air". Philip Glass is a given, seeing how Mike even "covered" one of his pieces.

But the obvious similarity between Incantations and M18 is in the tuned percussion. I distinctly remember I immediately thought "Incantations!" when I first heard M18. So I wonder why exactly you think it so unlikely that it influenced Mike? While I don't remember Mike mentioning Reich in any interview I've read (except for MotS, if I remember correctly), he'd hardly be bothered with mentioning each and every piece of music he's ever liked.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2013, 05:13

In 1977 he was all Terry Riley and Philip Glass. In 1984 he was telling a Swedish magazine that Whitesnake fans would propably enjoy his latest album. Not many people make that
kind of crossover.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2013, 19:48

Quote (Holger @ Oct. 24 2013, 19:08)
The Riley piece that influenced the TB opening was, I think, "A Rainbow In Curved Air".

Doh! Yes of course I meant Rainbow, not in C.

I do agree, the instrumentation that Reich used (marimba, vibes etc.) seemed to inspire much of Incantations, but I would still argue the actual composition and structure owes more to Glass.

Strangely Mike always seems the quietest about Incantations (skips over it in "Changeling" in a few pages)...

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2014, 06:42

Thanks everyone for keeping this topic I started so long ago alive :)

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2018, 16:50

There is no album like Incantations. Which is just as well because it is the most tedious thing I've ever listened to. Pseudo-Bach. Yeccchh.
Profile PM 
28 replies since Oct. 26 2005, 08:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net