Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Airplanes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Man In Rain Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 15 2000, 02:22

I have two passions: Mike Oldfield and airplanes. Every day I fly a plane in MS Flight Simulator (often a Beech D18-S) and every evening I listen to an Oldfield album. And my two passions meet in FMO: an album about airplanes. smile

It looks like Mike is also interested in airplanes. Besides dedicating a whole album to them, aircrafts also appear in HR, QE2 or Amarok. The lyrics in FMO show a knowledge about aircrafts and air traffic control (although there are a few mistakes).

My question would be: what is FMO inspired by? Was Mike involved in a plane accident or emergency situation, probably in a Beech D18-S? I can't find any information about this...
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2000, 03:18

From the 1982 Stereo Review Interview:

"To write lyrics you've got to have something to write about. Well, this time I had something to write about: my airplane theme. That's what the album's all about. Every time I go up in a small plane something terrible happens. One engine stops, we go into a thunderstorm or snowstorm, or we're surrounded by fog."

There's also something somewhere I read where Mike goes on about a specific incident somewhere in Europe I think, where there was a big storm or something and everyone was going Aaargh. I think.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2000, 11:06

On different sites I found:

'The album was inspired by a near tragic flight on his preceding tour, where a small aircraft piloted by Mike hit a terrible storm.'

'Mike listed his recreations as "aviation (light aircraft, helicopters)". He had gained his pilot's license in 1979, and a flying incident a year later provided the inspiration for the title song of the 1982 album Five Miles Out. In August 1980, Mike was piloting a two-engined Piper Navajo over the Pyrenees mountain range in Spain when the aircraft was caught in a thunderstorm. "We were tossed about like a pancake and there was ice collecting on the propellers and rain on the windscreen and everybody was going "Aaargh"!" he told an interviewer. The incident was also commemorated in a painting specially commissioned by Mike from a renowned aviation artist.'

So besides making the best music of the world, he is also a qualified pilot and likes aviation! That makes me the most devoted fan of him!!!
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2000, 18:17

I knew remembering everyone going Aaargh! would come in handy someday!

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Gerloc Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2001, 20:38

The Arghh thing would become
handy if Mike desided to make
a new album inspired by airplanes
Named "Five Arghhs Out" ...

(hehe)

Gerloc.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2001, 03:58

Aside from Five Miles Out and other albums mentioned by Man In Rain about airplanes (to use the US term), I think on a/the original quadrophonic Tubular Bells, Mike or someone else put in the sound of a plane at the end to show the potential and effects of quadrophonic sound. Anyone confirm this for me?

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2001, 12:51

Yes, in the quadrophonic version there is a sound of a model airplane flying around the four speakers.
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2001, 13:32

But it's not the Boxed version. There has been at least one other quadrophonic TB mix. They've got a discussion on Amarok mailing list about that right now - but ask someone who's observing more closely what's going on there...
Profile PM WEB 
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2001, 13:48

a little more about albums and airplanes (not flying in general!):

> Tubular bells - of course the quadrophonic version
> Hergest Ridge - the model airplane on the cover
> Platinum - titles like Airborn and North Star
> QE2 - Arrival (with a helicopter on the single cover)
> FMO - Orabidoo and FMO lyrics are about airplanes, unfortunately there isn't a detailed analysis on the net about them (I will write one with pleasure if anyone is interested)
> Crises - IHP contains a couple of navigation terms; and of course the 'trip in the air' from FA
> Discovery - 'In The Clouds, Running And Chasing Shadows'
> EM - 'Love is a beacon, a guiding light'
> Amarok - a model airplane or what as an instrument
> HO - 'Fly right in!'
> Voyager - perhaps this matches the best with a flight (of course you can't listen to music when you fly a plane) wink
> TB3 - Yeah, you guessed it: Far Above The Clouds.

One more thing: a Boeing 747-41R Jumbo Jet (registration number GVHOT) of Virgin Airlines (which is also Virgin record company) is named 'Tubular Belle' in honour of Mike. smile
Profile PM 
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2001, 09:32

If anyone is interested I started to make the plane from FMO cover for Microsoft Flight Simulator. I obtained repaint permission so I will start to work and the repaint will be available in a week.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 01 2014, 11:16

TSODE - song title First Landing
Profile PM 
10 replies since Nov. 15 2000, 02:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net