Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: African Base Guitar< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 23 2000, 16:25

In Amarok, from 42:22, I hear an instrument that sounds like a fretless base guitar. But then again, it doesn't. The notes start low, and then slide upwards with no jumps. If I'm not completely wrong, there's a similar sound in Paul Simon's record "Graceland". So, it might be a south african instrument. What is it? Can you help me? -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 25 2000, 08:15

To me it sounds just like an ordinary fretless bass, put through some sort of pedal effect (limiter, compressor...?) Sorry,but I don't understand the fact that the notes "slide upwards with no jumps"....the "fretlessness" of that kind of bass exists just for this purpose!! smile But it could also be an ordinary bass with a "defretter" pedal effect...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 01 2000, 19:14

If I'm not mistaken, this is a fretless bass guitar with some chorus added (or a related effect). There'll probably be some limiting/compression there as well, but maybe not much...The unusual sound comes mostly, I believe, from it being played up at the higher end of its range, added with that delicate touch that Mike can have when he plays bass. From where I'm sitting, it doesn't sound 'acoustic' enough to be any kind of 'ethnic' instrument. Just my thoughts...
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 02 2000, 19:21

Thank you, Korgscrew.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 05 2009, 18:33

I wonder if it is a Guild Ashbory bass? Jack Bruce plays one of these on his 1989 album A Question Of Time (on a track called 'Kwela', which has an African theme) and it has that unique kind of loping sound produced by the silicon rubber strings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashbory_bass

http://www.largesound.com/ashboryfaq/general/

Maybe you can get a fretless one too?

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 05 2009, 20:27

@ Ghostmojo: according to the Wikipedia entry, the Ashbory is a fretless bass, as the frets are just marked. :) But maybe it was a little bit uncommon as an instrument for Mike to get, and I still think that the sound in that section is produced by an ordinary fretless bass with just a little bit of processing - all this without counting that a "Defretter" effect does exist as a foot pedal: it's made by Roland. :)

By the way, sorry for not having welcomed you to the forums before. I do now. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 06 2009, 01:02

Welcome carsten, i believe it was a fretless base mike used, with some compression, use of the roland delimiter, and digitally enhanced synth to create those higher notes, deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 06 2009, 04:19

@Ghostmojo:Didn't realise Jack Bruce used one (mentally runs Kwela through the mental ipod in my brain).As you say though,although it is a (very small)fretless bass those rubber strings make for a very different sound.Never tried one but they used to recomment using talcum powder on them as lubricant to allow slides.
 In this case though it sounds like a normal fretless to me.I think Mike had a fretless Wal.I know he used a fretted version but i seem to remember seeing him with a fretless as well.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 06 2009, 15:31

I think Clotty will testify that Mike had a fretless Fender Precision!
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 06 2009, 19:56

Well, let's not fret over this one guys! ;)

Thanks for the welcomes and good vibes Ugo and you other loverly Tubularpeeps - this is certainly one of the nicest forums (fora?) I've been on, without the usual squabbling associated with just about every other music site I've ever been on (sh1t - perhaps it's me? :/) and it is a real pleasure to be surrounded by so many like-minded individuals.

I've spent quite a few hours so far picking through the millions of threads I've missed, and will probably be here until next Christmas reading them all - but I'm getting there.

I've generally started with albums I like best (or even least) which are naturally the classics by and large - but I will get around to contributing across the boards eventually.

I've also invited another MO fan/friend of mine to come and join me from the Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash website we frequent (when I'm not here).

Be seeing you...

Howard

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 07 2009, 08:28

I noticed some of the older threads had been opened  :laugh:

Welcome aboard mate.

BTW i forgot about the fretless precision.Am i right in thinking it was the old natural finish one he had defretted?

--------------
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 07 2009, 15:37

Quote (The Caveman @ April 07 2009, 08:28)
I noticed some of the older threads had been opened  :laugh:

Welcome aboard mate.

BTW i forgot about the fretless precision.Am i right in thinking it was the old natural finish one he had defretted?

It WAS the 'blonde' 1960 precision that was defretted. However I believe it was still fretted at least up to the Montreux concert in the 1981 - see DVD.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 08 2009, 04:02

Yeah it's nice to see him pick up a bass on that.Hugely underated player.It was fretted there.I checked out the instruments list for it and the photo on there from the time it was sold showed it as fretless.

--------------
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 08 2009, 13:08

Sorry I should have added to my post above, that it is obviously possible that it was de-fretted after 1981 and before 1990, in time for use on Amarok. However, I think only the man himself knows the answer to that.

(Unless one of the many knowledgeable people on this forum tells me otherwise).

Haven't listened to the section in question yet. Will try in the next couple of days.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
13 replies since Sep. 23 2000, 16:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net