Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A use for it< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 30 2000, 18:09

I bought this album to hear the TB3 preview track, when it came out. There was a big discussion raging between fans about whether it was any good or not, if he'd lost it, etc etc (nothing's changed then...). So I thought "What the heck" and went out and got the album. Of course, I didn't have much use for the CD beyond this (some fans may have suggested using it to stand coffee cups on, along with Heaven's Open, Boxed and whatever else they'd taken a disliking to on that particular day).
So it sat there...until I came to buying some more audio equipment and was wanting something to take along to the to listen to (to audition the stuff). I was after something I was familiar with, yet I wanted some music in a range of styles. First instinct was to stuff my entire CD collection into a pocket (admittedly I'd need an extremely large pocket to do that...). Then I realised that this compilation would do nicely (along with a couple other for good measure...).

It's also quite good for taking places where you want to listen to a bit of everything (like on holidays where you can't realistically cram 22+ CDs into your suitcase...ok so there are other solutions...). That's if you're not into making compilations on CDR, or MiniDisc, or an MP3 player...and there's always Elements of course...

Hmm...you all really wanted to know that, didn't you?
We could always start '101 uses for a MO compilation album' (if we were really desperate)...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 30 2000, 18:57

Another possible use: buying it as the last record to complete your MO collection. I'm going to do this very soon, even if I have everything else and I've downloaded the TBIII preview from Arrian Rutter's site...I'll delete it when I buy the CD.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Pikalcazar Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2000, 12:37

Another use similar to Ugo's is to hear a "rarity" of TB3, with Mike as singer.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 31 2000, 21:03

You could also use it as a novelty, shiny MO frisbee...or hang it from fruit trees to scare the birds away...

(ok, so better to use AOL CDs for this, rather than use perfectly good MO albums, which as we now know can be useful when buying audio equipment...)
Profile PM 
Belthazar Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2001, 07:30

Is it worth it? I've seen it in a CD shop for half again the price of any other MO CD in the same shop, and it only had five tracks, three of which I've already heard.... (or is that another CD? Ah well, if it is, I definately had simiar thoughts about this one)

My local CD shop is weird.... it puts half of MO in the "Male Artists" section, and half in the "New Age" section..... i think the ones with Mike on the cover go in the Male artists section....

--------------
Belthazar
That's Bravo Echo Lima Tango Hotel Alpha Zulu Alpha Romeo

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana
-- Groucho Marx

Profile PM WEB 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2005, 13:26

I GUESS U CAN PUT MIKE'S MUSIC IN THE NEW AGE SECTION, ESPECIALLY ALBUMS LIKE AMAROK, TUBULAR BELLS 2, THE MILLENIUM BELL.

XXV IS ONE OF THE FEW MIKE BEST OF CDS THAT HAS THE REMIX OF SENTINAL THAT WAS USED IN EXCORCIST 3.

:p :p  :p  :p
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2005, 16:20

I went into a music store recently, and was surprised to find that there was no longer a "New Age" section. They called it "Lifestyles" instead.

R.Gormlie: GUESS U CAN PUT MIKE'S MUSIC IN THE NEW AGE SECTION

Would you mind typing with mostly lower-case characters? The all-caps is the typing equivalent of the "evil eye of the hurricane coming in now for the kill!!" voice on the song "Five Miles Out."

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2005, 18:40

Mike Oldfield on the new age section sucks.Really really disgusting.Here in Brazil is very common,and the stores say that AMG rules their organization for foreign artists.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2005, 22:51

I just went to what is the largest (only?) music store in the area today. No New Age section. No Lifestyles section, even. No Mike Oldfield. Not even "Tubular Bells."

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 03:17

Quote (Pikalcazar @ Oct. 31 2000, 12:37)
Another use similar to Ugo's is to hear a "rarity" of TB3, with Mike as singer.

Is that Mike singing on that TBIII excerpt? I did not know that.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
9 replies since Oct. 30 2000, 18:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net