Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A survey for musicians, A few questions, if you wish to answer< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 02:33

Quote (arron11196 @ Oct. 19 2005, 02:04)
Just in case you're really that interested,...

Yeah, sure I am :)
I like reading these posts and I think that's a pretty good list :cool:
I find it's quite easy to sing songs by Madness, he's got the same tone of voice as me, and the hight (if that's the expression) suits me!

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 14:27

My singing is a bit of a bother. I love singing, be it alone or along with Winamp or the stereo. When I'm alone in my house, I often put on something very loud and sing along until my throat hurts - it's usually something uplifting, like Bob The Builder or something. I have no technique at all - it's just yelling. :) I have a good bass voice, my middle range is pretty poor, my high register is not that bad. I can Geddy Lee shriek and Jon Anderson squeal without much trouble. But it's all about just getting the notes out without technique. When I intend to get my voice recorded, I always try to make it just a vehicle for the melody.

The real disappointment comes to... well, putting my voice to the microphone. I suffer from an annoying embarrassment of hearing my singing, I'm totally unable to play and sing at the same time (due to embarrassment and nothing else), and when I get myself on the gear, it's always a bit difficult to overcome that. And there's always the trouble that my voice just doesn't sound the way I imagined. Sometimes, I tend to write exactly the kind of melody I'm unable to sing (like on "Buses" and "I'd Rather Be Home"), so I have to "mask" it. Other times, it's just weird. At least, I know my strength is on writing, not singing. :)

There's one more trouble I tend to face at times... I imagine how my music will be like long before I write or record it. Sometimes I have ideas I just love, but I'm just unable to make them work. And sometimes, I have entire songs in my head without knowing how to make them come to life. I create "concepts" without the content. Oddly enough, sometimes, it seems to work. I don't trust that method too much, though. But I always need an overall framework to write my music - I'm not good at "meandering" and coming up with an album, or something. I need careful planning. It's almost music engineering, at times.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
21 replies since Oct. 06 2005, 13:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net