Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A suggestion, The little brother of Amarok< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Drealm Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 23 2008, 19:29

I have a suggestion to make for you Amarok fans (like me).

After listening to Amarok, I always wondered if an other artist, or composer, or group , did something that could be close to Amarok. I mean not look-alike or similar, but having the same amount of work, being completely original, you know, something done by an other artist with the same intentions/mindset of Amarok : doing a completely crazy album reflecting profound artistic inspirations without concerns about commercial success. In other words, letting the imagination flow without any barriers.

One day, I discovered what I personally call the little brother of Amarok. It's not the same. Not same mind, not same imagination; but an other kind of imagination that I always considered an other "kind" of Amarok.

So if you are curious, take 1 hour of your time and give a whole listen (that means not just the first song but the whole album) to this cd:

Mr. Bungle : Disco Volante

Some of you will love, some will hate. But you can't be indifferent. I wrote this suggestion because if I didn't knew Disco Volante, I would be very happy that someone did what I just did! Original music is so hard to find sometimes.

I hope you enjoy!!

Please understand that I don't "compare" Amarok VS Disco Volante here as they are two differents works. I just offer a new musical discovery for those interested in original music.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 23 2008, 20:45

With regard to the question of whether there are any pop records similar to Amarok, if, by "similar" you mean melodic sections juxtaposed with noise sections, then obviously there are quite a few similar pop records. Early records by Yes (especially Relayer and Close to the Edge) Pink Floyd (Atom Heart Mother, Ummagumma (particularly "The Narrow Way" and "Sisyphus"), and ELP (Brain Salad Surgery) are obvious examples).

Surprisingly, though, I know of no classical music that does this. The reason is that "melody", in the sense of pleasant, catchy tunes, is largely considered passé in serious music these days; listen, for example, to Black Angels, by Pulitzer Prize winning composer George Crumb; it's like Amarok without the melody (although it's quite effective in its way). So if you want melodic serious music you have to go back almost 100 years (except in the case of Russian music, where the Communist Party forbade composers such as Shostakovich to write discordantly). Actually, Shostakovich is probably the closest you'll get to serious music that combines both music and noise. Listen to his Violin Concerto Op. 99 or his 10th Symphony.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 23 2008, 21:47

I'll try that Mr. Bungle album when I can. As for recommendations of my own, the closest I can get is Ultravisitor, by Squarepusher. It doesn't have the "mosaic" structure of Amarok, but in terms of artistic intentions, clashing styles, raw music making and challenging passages, it gets quite close. For a taster, try the track Iambic 9 Poetry.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 13:51

Quote (nightspore @ July 24 2008, 02:45)
Surprisingly, though, I know of no classical music that does this. The reason is that "melody", in the sense of pleasant, catchy tunes, is largely considered passé in serious music these days; listen, for example, to Black Angels, by Pulitzer Prize winning composer George Crumb; it's like Amarok without the melody (although it's quite effective in its way). So if you want melodic serious music you have to go back almost 100 years (except in the case of Russian music, where the Communist Party forbade composers such as Shostakovich to write discordantly). Actually, Shostakovich is probably the closest you'll get to serious music that combines both music and noise. Listen to his Violin Concerto Op. 99 or his 10th Symphony.

In terms of classical / "serious" music, I find Bartók (e.g. Violin Concerto No. 2, Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta) and Messiaen (e.g. Turangalîla Symphony) to have a nice balance between "music and noise", as you put it; I guess Stravinsky would also qualify, but personally I've never really been able to get into his music.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 21:57

Yes, I forgot Messiaen, and I own a few of his works (eg "Quartet for the End of Time". Stravinsky, of course, changed is style radically during his career....
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: April 10 2009, 14:49

Quote (Holger @ Aug. 01 2008, 14:51)
Quote (nightspore @ July 24 2008, 02:45)

In terms of classical / "serious" music, I find Bartók (e.g. Violin Concerto No. 2, Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta) and Messiaen (e.g. Turangalîla Symphony) to have a nice balance between "music and noise", as you put it; I guess Stravinsky would also qualify, but personally I've never really been able to get into his music.

Anyone unfamiliar with the title of this brilliant bit of Bartok, should think "Jack Torrance looking down on the model/real maze in 'The Shining'".  Yes, bits of Amarok are definitely Bartokian.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 10 2009, 18:30

Quote (smillsoid @ April 10 2009, 20:49)
Anyone unfamiliar with the title of this brilliant bit of Bartok, should think "Jack Torrance looking down on the model/real maze in 'The Shining'".  Yes, bits of Amarok are definitely Bartokian.

Hehe, The Shining... it always makes me smile when people refer to classical (and not only) pieces that were to remain completely unknown if some film director or ad director or video director hadn't used them in their film/ad/video. For example, when I talk to my friends about how pure do the female voices sound in Ligeti's "Lux æterna", they look at me like I'm mad. But then I tell them: "You know when Bowman is travelling through that multicoloured tunnel?" And then they go: "Aaahhhh, THAT one!!" :D :laugh: It's a little bit like the goddamned association of the TB piano theme with The Exorcist, which led to the general public's perception that it was born as an horror-sounding theme, which of course was not. :D

By the way, @ smillsoid: welcome to the nuthouse. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Lapelcelery Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 02:29

Maybe it's because I listened to it for the first time just after Amarok, but I've always thought 'Music from the Balcony' was like a little bit of leftover Amarok. Which isn't to say I think it is sub-par, I reckon it's excellent, but it seems to fit very well with the Amarok 'mood'. Whatever that is.
Profile PM 
shaynw Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2010, 22:10

I've been making an album in the style of Amarok for the last few years, only another 2 or 3 to go and it will be completed :)

if only I could work on it more than a few hours a week !!!

damn having a job !
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2010, 01:54

Hi Shanyw please let us know when you complete your album, even work in progress. I take my hat off to anyone who has a go at doing versions of Amarok. Its a complex piece and an emotional rollercoaster! I didn't like Amarok for some time but listened to parts and found parts I like best. The high energy grips you and its one hell of an experience! The only other group that come close with guitar as alive as Mike are Pink Floyd. Deb
Profile PM 
shaynw Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2010, 06:17

I will put up some mp3 snippets eventually when I get back into it ;) been so busy lately, I haven't touched it for months but weeks of listening to amarok has stirred me to get going again !
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 15:01

So, nobody listened to Disco Volante yet?

I never had any feedback on my original post!

So maybe nobody gave it a try, but you should.

I hope to see some feedback in the future...
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 16:00

I completely forgot about this thread. I did check out Disco Volante, don't remember when, but it was over an year ago if I'm not mistaken.

Result: it blew me away. So much, in fact, that it encoraged me to go out and dig out anything Mike Patton put his hands on. I definitely see the parallel between the two albums, and I guess the only thing that's missing from Disco Volante is the single track structure, with recurring motifs and all. But it's amazing either way.

Fantômas is also great stuff, albeit much more violent and raw. Suspended Animation and their debut album are hilarious, exciting stuff.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation, Drealm! And thanks for bumping the thread, because I needed to give you the kudos. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2010, 00:32

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Feb. 22 2010, 16:00)
I completely forgot about this thread. I did check out Disco Volante, don't remember when, but it was over an year ago if I'm not mistaken.

Result: it blew me away. So much, in fact, that it encoraged me to go out and dig out anything Mike Patton put his hands on. I definitely see the parallel between the two albums, and I guess the only thing that's missing from Disco Volante is the single track structure, with recurring motifs and all. But it's amazing either way.

Fantômas is also great stuff, albeit much more violent and raw. Suspended Animation and their debut album are hilarious, exciting stuff.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation, Drealm! And thanks for bumping the thread, because I needed to give you the kudos. :)

So that's great! Happy to see that my suggestion widened your musical horizons!

If you want more softer work from Mike Patton but still very great, put your hands on Faith No More. Try the album "King for a day, Fool for a Life Time" for a good start.

You mentioned Fantômas. Did you try the Delirium Cordia album? It could be seen as the personnal "amarok" from Mike patton; here is the description from Wikipedia:

"The music, which was composed solely by Patton, could be described as the score to a horror movie and/or concept album centering on the theme of surgery without anesthesia. The album consists of a single track that runs for 74 minutes and 17 seconds."

So you must try it if you didn't.
Profile PM 
13 replies since July 23 2008, 19:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net