Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A new idea for Musicians, The Tubular.Net Music Competition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
4thEden Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 20 2011, 13:44

Hi

I've just started entering a few music competitions/battles/challenges... call it what you want.. So I thought it might be a good idea to start one on the forum here...

There are plenty great musicians on this forum who have a variety of styles but we obviously have a common theme of liking Mr Oldfield's music.  

My idea would be to set a 'theme' challenge with a deadline date. This could be to do something in a Celtic genre, something in the same vein as 'Songs Of Distant Earth'  a spatial theme, a vocal only challenge... that sort of thing.

Once all songs are entered I will then collate them so that ALL forum members can vote for their favourite track. This can be voted on by musicians and fans alike.

I suggest a top 3 tracks that you choose with the favourite getting 3 points and the 3rd favourite 1 point. The track with the most points wins the competition/challenge.

Then I will set-up a new comp to follow that....

It would be best that for the musicians, that you write a new track from scratch and not an old track as this is not really testing your skills. This really gets your creative juices flowing and also good to see if you can get a track done for a deadline.

So I'm just testing the water here to see if there is enough interest in the idea before going ahead...

So please feedback with your thoughts...

4th Eden (Martin)

--------------
Composin' until I'm decomposin'

http://soundcloud.com/quietman
www.4th-Eden.com
Profile PM 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2011, 13:53

Hi Martin,

My main concern would be how you would go about tempting people to enter. For some people creating a new track can take days and so they may take the point of view of "what would I get out of this?"

Personally, I like the idea and would definitely take the time to write new tracks for the competition(s). I firmly believe in working outside my comfort zone and trying to stretch myself.

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2011, 13:55

:) ..already answered ! ..... so yes but what is the theme for this first time ?
Profile PM 
4thEden Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2011, 14:17

Quote (Ginger Daddy @ Nov. 20 2011, 13:53)
Hi Martin,

My main concern would be how you would go about tempting people to enter. For some people creating a new track can take days and so they may take the point of view of "what would I get out of this?"

Personally, I like the idea and would definitely take the time to write new tracks for the competition(s). I firmly believe in working outside my comfort zone and trying to stretch myself.

Cheers,
Terry.

Hi Terry

Yes, it's good to talk about this... I was going to try and set a realistic date for the comp... like maybe for instance a 2 month window... there's no point in making it stressful... its meant to be fun!!

"what would I get out of this?" would depend on your point of view... I've entered a few comps already (haven't won) but that's wasn't the point... I created some new tracks, found some new techniques and communicated with some more fellow musicians.

Like you, I like the challenge and I've got 6 days to finish a track for my latest challenge... I don't care if I don't win (once its entered) I will have another track to add to the portfolio.

The one called 'Stay Dead' was for my Halloween challenge and this turned out quite reasonable IMHO!
Cheers
Martin

--------------

www.4th-Eden.com
Profile PM 
4thEden Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2011, 14:20

Quote (Tubular Tos @ Nov. 20 2011, 13:55)
:) ..already answered ! ..... so yes but what is the theme for this first time ?

ahhhh.... lets get a few interested first... then I will come up with a theme... so far 3 interested (including me of course)... I would like about 10 before committing to this..

--------------

www.4th-Eden.com
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2011, 14:52

I'm interested, although I'm a beginning musician with almost zero    knowledge of music theory, I would love to join  :)

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
4thEden Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2011, 15:32

Quote (HR lover @ Nov. 20 2011, 14:52)
I'm interested, although I'm a beginning musician with almost zero    knowledge of music theory, I would love to join  :)

Hi HR

We all have to start somewhere and if you've got a good riff in your head then you don't need music theory to build up a good track. I've just had a listen to The Odyssey.. it's a very accomplished piece of music!

I write using the Piano Roll View these days rather than'writing music' the way I used to... for me its quicker.. but that's me...

Would be great to have you on board...

4thEden

--------------

www.4th-Eden.com
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 20 2011, 17:05

Fantastic idea.
I work slow though so if I start now I'll have something a few rounds from now :)
Profile PM 
4thEden Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2011, 17:10

Quote (Milamber @ Nov. 20 2011, 17:05)
Fantastic idea.
I work slow though so if I start now I'll have something a few rounds from now :)

that's great Cam... 6 in... it will hopefully generate some new tracks for the 2012

--------------

www.4th-Eden.com
Profile PM 
4thEden Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2011, 16:34

Hi all,

Find below the rules for the challenge/competition. We need to have the rules in place so its all on a level playing field.

These have been adapted from a couple of challenge/competition music sites already tried and tested. This is open for discussion as i probably haven't got it entirely right yet or the way you want it. I have an idea for the first challenge and if anyone else has ideas then please get back to me for future challenges.

So here it is:

Tubular.net Music Challenge Rules

1. About The Tubular.Net Music Challenge

The Tubular.Net Music Challenge is themed challenge and competition to test your song writing/recording skills. I will set a theme and you write a piece of music related to that theme. The purpose of the Challenge is to help you experiment and develop as a musician and ultimately have fun!

The idea will be to write a piece of music (instrumental or song) from when the theme is announce via the Tubular.net forum. Try not to enter a track that you have already written as this would not be testing your skills as a musician as the idea is to write a piece of music from scratch.

Once all songs have been submitted, I will load them onto a song portal (TBC) where all tubular.Net members can listen to each track. The link to this song portal will be posted on the forum. After the deadline close date, all the votes will be counted end then will be announced on the Tubular.Net Music Challenge thread.

2. Submission

You can submit any piece of music as longs as it falls into the challenge criteria.
The track should be an original composition
The tracks has no time limit (but within reason!;)
Please submit in mp3 format only
Submit your track by the required deadline
Submit to my e-mail address martineve64@msn.com

3. Voting

You must pick your 3 favourites from the entrants. If you do not pick 3 favourites your votes will not be counted, so be sure you pick 3.
You must number your 3 selections based on your opinion.
You can also add up to 2 Honourable Mentions for other entrants not in your top 3. These are optional. You can award None or 1 or 2. These will all receive a single point. Reminder, these are Optional.
If you are entered in the Challenge, you are allowed to vote but you can’t give any votes to your own entry.
Points will be allocated as follows: 1st Favourite: 4 Points, 2nd Favourite: 3 Points, 3rd Favourite: 2 points, Honourable Mentions: 1point
Voting will last one calendar week from when all the tracks are released
Send your votes by posting it on the Tubular.Net Music Challenge thread[B]

--------------

www.4th-Eden.com
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2011, 07:30

;) ...so did you got the " ten interested guys " ?

..rules seem to be good ....!
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2011, 07:50

Sorry, but I don't like the idea of writing music to order/to win votes.  That's not why I compose music, and I am by nature, not a competitive person.

Good luck to the other entrants, though.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
4thEden Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2011, 09:33

Quote (Tubular Tos @ Nov. 26 2011, 07:30)
;) ...so did you got the " ten interested guys " ?

..rules seem to be good ....!

not too many yet Phil... but I would expect that... I dont imagine the first one will get too many entries as eveyone will be waiting to see what it is like... I was told this was the case in another challenge/comp... so will persevere... it may take a while for this to be accepted and to bed in as an idea.

I expect more fans to vote however and will post the entries onto other parts of the forum where I don't usually go...

--------------

www.4th-Eden.com
Profile PM 
4thEden Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2011, 12:53

Quote (smillsoid @ Nov. 26 2011, 07:50)
Sorry, but I don't like the idea of writing music to order/to win votes.  That's not why I compose music, and I am by nature, not a competitive person.

Good luck to the other entrants, though.

Thanks Simon,

That's fair enough... it wont be to everyone liking but if you change your mind then it would be good to have you as an participator.

Look out for the first batch of tracks. I hope you will vote on what is published.

--------------

www.4th-Eden.com
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 26 2011, 13:44

I recently watched this documentary about Woody Allen. He was explaining that competition makes sense for measuring how fast you run around a track but not for movies. Perhaps a good compromise would be to get votes but not compile them: why a track loved by 100 people be better than a track loved by 1 people?
Profile PM 
4thEden Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2011, 13:58

Quote (Olivier @ Nov. 26 2011, 13:44)
I recently watched this documentary about Woody Allen. He was explaining that competition makes sense for measuring how fast you run around a track but not for movies. Perhaps a good compromise would be to get votes but not compile them: why a track loved by 100 people be better than a track loved by 1 people?

Thanks Olivier

So do you think this should be more of a 'showcase' rather than competition? If anyone wants to look at a 'showcase' style selection of songs then tonight at 10pm (UK time) all the Coconut Blues Club Challehge songs go online. Here's the link:

CBC November Challenge

This is a selction of songs for the November challenge.. people can leave comments but no voting takes place... but it still operates as a them and to a deadline...

--------------

www.4th-Eden.com
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2011, 20:38

A 'showcase' is more sensible.  I'm sick to the back teeth with people announcing that x is better than y, because a few random people said so!

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2011, 07:58

I'm sick to the back teeth with people announcing that x is better than y, because a few random people said so!

music is taste and taste is subjective (ofc) yet I believe music to be more than just taste. Technique is also involved. I daresay that Ommadawn is technically better than Tubular Bells.

I also daresay that Brahms is technically better than Mussorgsky.

Does not make Mussorgsky any less good though. Although it does make him technically inferior.  

But we could compete for technique even though that is hard, although I really don't care, a showcase sounds good as well.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
4thEden Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2011, 08:09

Quote (HR lover @ Nov. 27 2011, 07:58)
I'm sick to the back teeth with people announcing that x is better than y, because a few random people said so!

music is taste and taste is subjective (ofc) yet I believe music to be more than just taste. Technique is also involved. I daresay that Ommadawn is technically better than Tubular Bells.

I also daresay that Brahms is technically better than Mussorgsky.

Does not make Mussorgsky any less good though. Although it does make him technically inferior.  

But we could compete for technique even though that is hard, although I really don't care, a showcase sounds good as well.

OK, 'showcase' rather than competition... I had great fun last night on the CBC Challenge over on Soundclick... no pressure just a few people listening to music and making comments... no one came first or last...

It still needs to be 'themed' and with a time deadline I feel... as organiser I will need to collate everything for publishing...

--------------

www.4th-Eden.com
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2011, 08:49

Sounds great!!!  I'm in for a 'showcase', no problems.  :D

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
27 replies since Nov. 20 2011, 13:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net