Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A movie of Mikes life?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bennyboy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 12 2000, 08:03

A friend was telling me the other day that Mike Oldfield's life would make an interesting subject for a movie.

Which got me thinking, if you were making a movie about Mike who would you cast as the bell-bashing-one?

I think Robert Downey Jr. would be great. He can do a British accent (see "Chaplin"), he looks a bit like Mike around the time of "Islands" and he can convincingly play the tortured artist (again see "Chaplin"). If he doesn't blow his parole this time maybe he'd be the perfect thespian to bring our idol to the screen.

Not that its ever going to happen mind you, this is all just speculation. Still, speculation is fun isn't it?

Anyone else out there got any thoughts on the matter?
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 17 2000, 06:48

Originally posted by bennyboy:
A friend was telling me the other day that Mike Oldfield's life would make an interesting subject for a movie.

Which got me thinking, if you were making a movie about Mike who would you cast as the bell-bashing-one?

I think Robert Downey Jr. would be great. He can do a British accent (see "Chaplin"), he looks a bit like Mike around the time of "Islands" and he can convincingly play the tortured artist (again see "Chaplin"). If he doesn't blow his parole this time maybe he'd be the perfect thespian to bring our idol to the screen.

Not that its ever going to happen mind you, this is all just speculation. Still, speculation is fun isn't it?

Anyone else out there got any thoughts on the matter?

Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 17 2000, 06:53

I think Jude Law ("The Talented Mr. Ripley" "Gattaca") or Ewan McGregor ("The Phantom Menace" "Trainspotting") would be great in a movie about Mike

Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 17 2000, 22:18

Personally, I think Kevin Costner would be great.
rosko Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2000, 01:23

Kevin Costner??!!!!
You've got to be kidding!
Did you hear his pathetic attempt at a British accent in Robin Hood: Prince of Theives???????!!!!
And anyway, when you want an actor to play someone with a British accent, the best solution is this: GET A BRITISH ACTOR!!!!!

An unknown actor would probably be best. Maybe it would help using different actor for different ages as well.
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2000, 03:50

wink Costner ? brrrrrr...

About accent : you know, a movie will be overdub for non-english speaking people, so a German, French, Hungarian, Spanish version would loose all english accent ! The best way may be subtitling, but there's not so much people who like this kind of movie in those country... so...

If I had to choose, I would like Ewan McGregor too. He is a very good actor (IMO) and would be perfect to play THE role. But I agree with Rosko, an unknown actor would be a good solution.

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2000, 05:45

NO! NOT KEVIN COSTNER! NO!

But you other guys are all probably right, an unknown would be better. Otherwise you are always concious of the fact that it is an actor playing a role....

....but thinking about it, it's probably for the best that a movie of Mike's life will never get made. There is precious little information available about Mike, and a movie could end up like Oliver Stone's "The Doors", and excessive and sensationalized attempt to shed light on the "true personality" of an enigmatic musical dude...

Plus you might ask do we really want to know about this anyway. Judging by a lot of the stuff fans have written on the net, part of Mike's appeal is that he is "our little secret", and I know a lot of people were really put off Mike when the mirror ran those series of articles about his (supposed) drug taking and womanizing in Ibiza....

...then there is Mike himself, who has not had to endure the medias prying as much as other celebrities and would now be emblazoned on silver screens everywhere...

Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 22 2000, 07:19

Why don't ask Mike for doing the job! I think nobody can imitate his behaviour which is a little bit strange. I realy like the idea of the movie. But Kevin Costner is a really bad idea...drop it!
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2000, 11:22

I was thinking not a real movie, but a documentry like Jarre's video from "Concert in Moscou".

Just a concert video with a documentry where Oldfield walk around and talks about his life. smile

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 23 2000, 15:33

Have you seen Jurassic Park? Or Forrest Gump? Let's wait a few years, and they will be able to animate PEOPLE instead of dinosaurs. Do I have to say any more...? wink

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Sephirot Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2000, 16:58

Well let me say here somthnig... no one never could imitate Mike... did you guys seen that on concerts what kinda man is he?

Like at Tub II when The Bell starts it can be seen very well how he lives his music by moving his head...

Well i think that no one can imitate him... and it i want to see his life... and i want that to play it himself.

And right then Kevin Costner:))) Well drop itt!! :)))

--------------
Lost in Static 18...
Profile PM 
10 replies since Sep. 12 2000, 08:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net