Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A big thank you!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 08 2008, 13:27

We'd like to say a big thank you to all the fans who were involved with the Music of the Spheres premiere event in Bilbao last night. It was brilliant how everyone - both from this site and from all the other fan groups involved - came together to make the whole thing possible. Thanks of course also have to go to everyone who's made this possible by simply supporting this site and making it one which gets taken seriously!

It was really fun to spend time with the 'Tubular Ten' and with new and old friends from all the other sites and we look forward to doing it again in the future!
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 08 2008, 13:41

Oh, goody! Korg is back and apparently in good humor. Thank goodness, for me, because I was beginning to fret over people getting lost in the Guggenheim with no way out. Sort of like my recurring nightmare of running through the mall, as it's locking up, trying to find either an exit or a good sale. And thank goodness, for everyone else, because no doubt the juicy details will soon start trickling in.

Welcome back, guys. :)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2008, 15:29

Great to read such a heart-warming response. Thanks Korg.
Profile PM 
GodGift Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 08 2008, 17:30

Well, it was reeeeeallly nice to meet all of tou and other fans out there! Thank you Korg! And big thanks to rumerok! Without him everything wouldn't be so easy there!

--------------
What a lovely day!
Profile PM 
rumerok Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 04:15

I just can say a BIG THANKS to everyone I've met there!! you're all great and really nice people!! Rafal, Chris and Chris (:D), Susana, Brian..the list was too long.
Also, a special thanks to the tubular.net team, who have made this all happen

THANK YOU!
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 05:17

Just to say to meet the ardent core of fans prior to the Guggenheim concert was a great experience and will remain in my memories of the great day.

Orchestra and Choir were spot on, the woodwind section seemed to have a time delay as we were stood behind a pillar with restricted view. Mikes classical guitar was quite drowned out by the orchestra, but the mixer unit outside took care of that on the Televized clips that i have seen. There is a mention it could be released on i tunes or available from digital retailers, but the bum note towards the end will also need to be edited out. On completion of the concert Mike hastily packed his guitar waved at the crowd and left for bilbao sondika airport in a crazed rush!!! :/
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 06:17

Hi Korgscrew...

I am very happy for meeting you and all the other fans from different countries.

Now I can say: I WAS THERE!

Thank you for your help and see you soon

Regards

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 07:10

A big thank you from me too, especially to the Dark Star and other organisers who made this opportunity possible with Universal.

It was a great experience meeting many of the fans previously known by nick-name only.

The only downer was the fact we were all standing at the side of the orchestra, with a view half (or more) obstructed by a big square pillar (look to the right of the stage in the movie clips).  That's us, just out of sight !

Mind you, we all knew this before we went so there's no complaints.  I just hope we get the chance to hear this again from the front!

The Thin Man
(Colin)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 09:46

The view was certainly a big problem. From the front left, I'd have agreed with the term 'restricted'. The further away people were from that point, the closer it got to 'non-existent', unfortunately. I'm also not certain that the Germans were even warned that the view would be restricted - they were, I think, the ones most unhappy with the situation.

I think a lot of small things could have been done to make the experience feel more special to everyone - I'd assumed that Universal were interested in doing this because it was good PR for them, but I'm not sure it's quite worked out that way. It would have been nice to have worked more closely with them to help them avoid some of the slips that they made, but it seemed like they didn't want to listen to our advice.

It was nice to be there, though and most of all, like I said before, nice to meet all the other fans. It would have been nice to have had a bit more opportunity to talk with some people, so I hope we find more opportunities to do so in the future :)

I also agree with GodGift - rumerok is the man!
Profile PM 
Gabo Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 13:25

What was the setlist for the show? Only Music of the Spheres, or did they play any other track as an encore?
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 13:33

Hello to you all,

after being back safely I´d like to thank all of you who organised, supported and shared the whole event, especially Richard, Tim and Rume!

It was a real pleasure to meet and talk to you. That alone made it worth travelling.

:)

And yes, we have to talk to Universal in detail!

:/

Edited by manintherain on Mar. 09 2008, 14:13
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 13:52

Quote (Gabo @ Mar. 09 2008, 18:25)
What was the setlist for the show? Only Music of the Spheres, or did they play any other track as an encore?

There was no encore - not even a second curtain call for Mike. He very quickly put his guitar back in its case, slung it over his shoulder and disappeared off backstage. Not a particularly dignified exit, really!
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 14:02

I have to agree with The Thin Man, I cannot thank Colin Dewey, Michael, and Paul Harrison of Dark Star enough, without whoose persistance and tenacity this event whould probably not have got off the ground.

It was great to meet like minded fans and to share in this really special event. All the best to the other winners, Colin, Sean, and the Guy from Gloucestershire, sorry i forgot your name.  Every time I play MOTS I will recall the fond memories of the great event. It was certainly a highlight of 2008 to me!.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 16:04

I would have thought that by now those who were there would have given the rest of us a better insight into how it all went musically.  Sorry if this sounds a bit rude.  But i want to hear more about it all.  Did Mike pull off the guitar part at the end of silhouette?  To me it sounds quite difficult to play.  You know, the part that sounds a bit like a harp?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 17:22

I think the good bits were really good. Harbinger in particular, with the choir brought to the fore, had an amazing power. The same goes for Musica Universalis - it had an explosive power which I suspect is something the recording won't fully capture.

Mike's guitar playing struck me as nervous in a lot of places. Perhaps it'll seem a lot better on the recording, but it didn't strike me as being terribly confident, and it seemed like he and the orchestra weren't always totally in time with each other.
There were also other parts where the timing of the orchestra seemed a bit ragged, and indeed, Mike dished out a fair number of his dirty looks in various directions.

The overall effect was good - the opening was strong, the ending was strong, and there were a lot of strong bits in the middle as well (Hayley Westenra came across beautifully when she sang On My Heart and its reprise, for example). The impression left by the final chord of Musica Universalis was of something huge and spectacular, and it was a nice experience to hear it.

We'll work on some full reports once we've all recovered a bit!
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 04:09

Thanks Korgscrew for the impression at the concert..

Mike Oldfield is -yet again - difficult to understand.

He recently said he didn´t needed to make music for his sanity anymore..but he would now make music to please his fans (or something like that, in changeling, I think he wrote)..
And now he makes a new record, a live performance...and vupti..no encore...no mangling with the press to promote the album at Guggenheim.....no mangling with fans...just a hasty exit from the concert..   go figures!

Maybe he was dissatisfied with his own playing or the orchestra...but really no need to run like a bat out of hell from the concert...he made a beautiful album in a difficult genre and the album is widely good received.  He should be proud and not looking like wanting to kill all the audience..

Please Mike Oldfield, come back to planet Earth and join the rest of us     :cool:
leesonar Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 06:22

With a studio recording you have plenty of time to refine the sound, use punchout to edit bum notes, and use click tracks to keep everything in time. But when you play live these studio refinements are not available. Orchestral players can read music and have a good grasp of musical theory, it sounded nervy because Mike didn't keep up with the orchestra, bear in mind though there were quite a few guitar embellishments which did not figure on the original recording the orchestra play to what is written down exactly, and time was not given for the extra embellishments.

Mike was probably nervous about how things would work out, but on the whole, you have to allow for the unexpected. It didn't detract from my enjoyment of the performance at all.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 06:31

Maybe there should be a new cartoon on the home page of tb.net with Mike running *away* from the concert :p

Looking forward to hearing more of peoples views on the performance itself. And it sounds like a great time  was had by everyone meeting up!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 07:50

Some journalists told us during the cocktail, that once again, he had a terrible cough, and it seems that during rehearsals there were some problems with the amplification of Mike's guitar. It is also a direct consequence of having only 4 rehearsals. The conductor said that it was a crazy nonsense this little dedication from Mike...
Profile PM 
zedder Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 13:03

I was fortunate to be one of the Dark Star winners and firstly would like to thank everyone who I met for a truly memorable
experience  :)
As fans we should not be winging about the view etc. but to be grateful that we was at a World Premiere event how many fans all over the world did not get this opportunity!!!!
The ending piece Musical Universalis was incredible something that will be remembered everytime I listen to that track , but I did chuckle to myself when Mike just put his guitar over his shoulder and left without a encore I will be interested to know why ? maybe he was upset that his fans were in a poor position!!!!!.
Once again thanks to the Dark Star team and my new friends whom I met .
The Man From Glos (Lloyd)
Profile PM 
60 replies since Mar. 08 2008, 13:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net