Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A basic attitude problem, About this record< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 12:31

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 31 2005, 02:34)
Beautifully said, but who wants to be told they are better looking through fog!

I'd say fog is very erotic... Mmm, fog.

Also I'll say, I don't think I'd get much insight into Mike Oldfield judging only through TB2003. I think Mike, with that album, accidently achieved what Kraftwerk did so very well in the peak of their carreer, "dehumanisation". The difference is that Kraftwerk were cool.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 12:39

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 31 2005, 07:34)
Beautifully said, but who wants to be told they are better looking through fog!

Equally beautifully said; perhaps it depends on whether people want to see the fog more than the woman.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 06:57

Would I be right in saying that the majority of those who prefer the 2003 version to the original were ones who didn't really love the original? As many have said it isn't just sound quality that has changed in TB2003, and if you deeply loved the original it's very likely that you'll think these changed only make it worse. On the other hand, if you never really liked the original, the changes might be just what you wanted in the music.

I can use myself as an example of this. I have always loved Part One of the original, and I find that Part One of TB2003 is a disappointment. It doesn't have the magic the original does for me. However, I was never really a fan of the original Part Two, and guess what, I prefer the 2003 version.

I guess it all depends on what we first got to know and love. I first got into several of my favourite artists through live albums, and in allmost all the cases I prefer the live version of the song, the one I heard first, to the album version. For all three of those artists, my favourite studio album is the one they didn't play much of in the concert. For me at least, it is very hard to replace something I've known and loved. Am I right in thinking this is true for most of us here?

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 16:33

I guess I can be the exception to the rule then.

Although I do madly love the Exposed version, and find all the others so sound dull compared to it.
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 20:42

Quote (raven4x4x @ Sep. 01 2005, 12:57)
Would I be right in saying that the majority of those who prefer the 2003 version to the original were ones who didn't really love the original?

Ah yes, in another topic I considered choosing TB as my least favourite album by Mike ;) - but indeed, after loving TBII so much I couldn't feel the magic of it, its roughness always disturbed the experience for me. Of course it's not the case with the great live versions.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
hcdjp Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2005, 07:33

i will always love TB1.

I think in TB he played with the soul.TB left play one mike depressed , he played with emotiom. And this is mike style. Play with emoctiom.
I like TBII , he put a new atmosphere in Tubular Bells. But i still prefere the original.

But i really like all the albuns : Qe2, Islands , Ommadawn , TBII , The Essencial , and a lot of others :D
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2005, 14:34

Quote (raven4x4x @ Sep. 01 2005, 11:57)
Would I be right in saying that the majority of those who prefer the 2003 version to the original were ones who didn't really love the original?

I think I fall about halfway here. I've been listening to the original for 25 years or so, and enjoying it, but finding more and more that the various 'deficiencies' (if that's what they are) were spoiling my pleasure in it. Did I ever truly love it? Probably not. Do I truly love TB 2003? Probably not, either - but now I can listen to it without wincing in the places that always spoiled it for me.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 05:03

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Aug. 29 2005, 14:14)
I don't mind people questioning my opinions, but not in such a judgemental way.

Sir M almost everything you say is very judgemental! If you can't take it you shouldn't give it.

Anyway, i prefer TB2003 cos the sound quality is much better!  Everyone should look at it this way!  TB2003 is the original, updated.  Just like the new Volkswagen Golf.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 12:56

Quote (Chicular @ Sep. 13 2005, 05:03)
Sir M almost everything you say is very judgemental! If you can't take it you shouldn't give it.

Please, be a little more specific when accusing me of something. I don't keep track of my comments as well as you do, but I don't remember ever judging anyone here based only on his opinions about music. I never said one's tastes were bad, or that one's opinions are wrong, or that anyone here has any "problems" for liking or disliking one certain item. I've frequently disagreed with people here, but we're all free to do that.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 14:29

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 13 2005, 12:56)
Please, be a little more specific when accusing me of something. I don't keep track of my comments as well as you do, but I don't remember ever judging anyone here based only on his opinions about music. I never said one's tastes were bad, or that one's opinions are wrong, or that anyone here has any "problems" for liking or disliking one certain item. I've frequently disagreed with people here, but we're all free to do that.

I didn't say you were judgemental to any other forum member! Almost Everything you say about Mike is very judgemental and insulting.

I guess what you're trying to say is that what you say about Mike's music, you wouldn't say to his face?

I've not read every one of your posts, however i did read your review of Tubular Bells 3 on Amazon.  Maybe you should read over that again and maybe you'll get where i'm coming from.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 15:03

I don't want to fall out with one of the prominent posters of this forum but reading through your reviews Sir M I can understand what Chicular is saying.......

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 15:29

Well, see, you can't put my words out of context. Maybe you can, but it will end up distorting things I bit. My initial comment referred to how the original poster of the thread seemed to find an attitude "problem" with anyone who criticised TB2003 (which includes me) in an almost personal level, which I considered judgemental. So I assumed you were talking about the same thing. And, indeed, I was surprised - I've always questioned and discussed opinions and opinions only, and not the personal reasons and motivations behind them. I'm nobody to discuss other people's personal lives, you know.

But there, you're mixing up my "reviewer self" and my "social self". I don't talk about music here the same way I talk in my website because, hey, this is a public space, shared by lots of people, and I respect that. And my website is, well, my website, and I give myself more freedom. If anything I say may sound insulting and/or judgemental, it's more due to the over-the-top style of my writing, more-or-less borrowed from Mark Prindle, who basically started the whole Web Reviewing thing. And Mike should see those things coming, shouldn't he? He made himself a public person, he published his works, and so, he should be ready to see criticism coming. It's a consequence of the business. If you don't deal with criticism, you're finished. Of course I wouldn't talk that way to him face-to-face, but then again, how should I know? I don't even know the guy. There's no personal bond between me and him whatsoever, so my writing is as detached as it could be. If we ever met, I'd have many more reasons to praise him for his work (and I'm not being hypocritical here: about half of my Oldfield page is gushing praise) than to bash him. And depending on his sense of humour, I would even go ahead and say that The Millennium Bell sucks for all it's worth. But how will I ever know?

Well, that pretty much covers it. If you still think I sound judgemental... I guess you'll just have to read Mark Prindle's reviews, or especially George Starostin's reviews and see what an angel I am. ;)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 15:42

hehehe, well said, I think that clears up any doubts that anyone had. Bravo  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 13:48

I got the original TB in 1973 and I was blown away by it. I have to say though, that over the years I grew utterly bored with it. I still loved a lot if Mikes music such as Ommadawn, Incantations etc (not Hergest Ridge, I hated that from the start, and never changed my view on it), but I had gotten sick of playing TB1. TB2003 changed that for me. It was like running into an old friend and chatting about fond old times. I do listen to TB2003 now and then, and I even started listening to TB1 as well, and it brought back memories of a 13 year old boy marveling at the musical prowess of a guy really only a few years older than me. So I'm glad for TB2003, because it helped cross a bridge in time for me.

On the other hand, I also own the TB2003 DVD-A, and as I said on a Mike Oldfield newsgroup recently, playing catchup with the instruments as they circle the room pisses me off, and rather spoils the experience of listening to it for me.
hcdjp Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2005, 17:50

i really prefer the original version. It gave me the magic of a good music.
The quality of the sound doesnt mean how good is it .
TB2003 sounds like a necessary thing.
TB its like an inspiration moment. Something especial.
Something to keep in the memory for years.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 16:20

Aha.

Aha aha.

Here we go.

So here's the theory: I listen to a piece of music, I like it, but find faults in it because it's slightly out of time, i can't hear some bits of it, its ok but I shelve it.

I hear it again 30 years later, with all of these 'errors' removed. I enjoy, and classify a definative better version to the 2003.

Someone else falls in love with 1973. They create 'emotional attachment' through that love - which is literally love of the album - and when something else comes along which is different - and doesnt have the associated love felt - they feel it has nothing. Not because it isn't good music - but because they don't feel the same emotional attachment as they did to the first one.

Again, linking to specific experiences.

A basic regurgitation of everything said so far, but at least a cohesive theory - please don't attack me with popcorn (shrinks into chair)  :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
lostrom Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2006, 06:37

The original is the original, the remake is the remake. No more to it, if you ask me.
Profile PM 
Falc04 Offline

Posted: May 17 2006, 10:27

Why would Mr. Oldfield waste all this time and energy on creating an exact duplicate of a 1979 recording?  Yes, I know he used more modern equipment, but in essence, it sounds exactly like it's predecessor.  In retrospect, wouldn't it have been wonderful if, instead of this project, he created a followup to the wonderful 'Songs Of Distant Earth'?

Just my 2 cents...
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: May 17 2006, 13:02

Very interesting debate! I'd like to be really controversial and say... I like 'em both! :)

Tony :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 17 2006, 14:00

Quote (Falc04 @ May 17 2006, 15:27)
in essence, it sounds exactly like it's predecessor.

Not to me, it doesn't. It sounds very, very different. Almost all the things I didn't like about the original are gone; and now I can properly enjoy the things that I like.
Profile PM 
57 replies since Aug. 29 2005, 06:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net