Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres on its way!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 05 2007, 01:18

We have heard from Universal that Mike's new album is now complete, and is currently being mastered. The title has been confirmed as Music Of The Spheres. There is no word yet on plans for the release, but watch this space!
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 05 2007, 02:21

This is exciting. I wonder how long it takes to get from 'currently being mastered' to release, and if we can expect it to be available before the end of the year.

*claps hands in anticipation*

Oh, and I'm looking forward to acronyming - 'MOTS' this, 'MOTS' that. Hehehe.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 03:25

Wow! That is extremely exciting!

I'm not very techie-minded, though, Korgscrew - what does being "mastered" actually involve? ( No S&M jokes please! )

Tony :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
onion Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 03:42

Great news.....where do Abby Road studios have an address? -
I´m wanna go to England and steal the copy   :p   :)

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 05 2007, 03:52

wow. this is cool news!
I like the title. 2008 will be yet another cool Mike Oldfield year.
I have no idea hwo this album will be..
  im so curious  :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 03:53

Quote (Sweatpea @ July 05 2007, 02:21)
This is exciting. I wonder how long it takes to get from 'currently being mastered' to release, and if we can expect it to be available before the end of the year.

*claps hands in anticipation*

Oh, and I'm looking forward to acronyming - 'MOTS' this, 'MOTS' that. Hehehe.

Hasn't October been talked about as a release date? Would seem likely as I know the major labels want at least 2-3 months after being handed the completed master of an album to prepare the marketing and packaging etc.

Still not that keen on 'Music of the Spheres' as a title. Just makes me think of Ian Brown's album.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 03:53

It all seems to have happened so fast. I originally envisaged a couple of years, at least, of anguished creative turmoil - and then suddenly (well, more or less suddenly) here it is, done already? Intriguing stuff.
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 04:04

I just hope this will be a good, dynamic classical mastering. And as it's an orchestral piece, one with an overall stereo image and no individual instrument stereo tricks ((which don't work in an orchestral setting, only in a solo studio effort). Ok, I could live with that if it added to the musical experience, sure. Whatever they do, please not a hot hotter hottest pop mastering, including digital clipping and all.

I want whatever gems he created to shine perfectly on the disc!

I'm curious. Random orchestral piece or enchanting masterpiece?
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 04:24

Quote (Nicolas @ July 05 2007, 04:04)
I'm curious. Random orchestral piece or enchanting masterpiece?

Well it happened very quickly. Just a couple of months ago I got the impression that Mike was starting to work with Karl Jenkins, and that they were already at eachothers throats. Maby I was reading between the lines?

Tony, mastering means (roughly) fiddling about with the completed mastertape so that it sounds good on CD or vinyl. The music bit is done.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 05 2007, 04:34

Great news!

Since the piece is about Halloween maybe October 31st for a release date or is that just *too* obvious...

Oh, and if they do release it on 31/10/07 I think there has to be a special edition released with a free mask ;)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Splinter Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 04:59

Found this on play.com

http://www.play.com/Music....ct.html
Profile PM 
Quicksilver Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 05:10

Quote (Matt @ July 05 2007, 04:34)
Great news!

Since the piece is about Halloween maybe October 31st for a release date or is that just *too* obvious...

Oh, and if they do release it on 31/10/07 I think there has to be a special edition released with a free mask ;)

Yes, a mask of the exorcist's girl face  :p

Good News btw
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 06:22

Quote (Sweatpea @ July 05 2007, 08:21)

Yes; if it is now in the state of being mastered, I think we can definitely expect it to be released this year, probably in autumn.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 06:39

According to Play.com release date is 5th November !!!!

Thats AGES !!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE'LL NEED THE PATIENCE OF A SAINT !!!!

I just hope that on hearing it we all recognise it as unmistakedly OLDFIELD MUSIC even though it is a Classical piece !!

Neil
:(  :)
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 08:02

hmmmm
http://www.musicofspheres.com/
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 08:03

hmmm

http://peyote.com/jonstef/spheres.htm
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 05 2007, 10:49

"Music of the Spheres" Hmm well its not called "Music from the Valleys" , what with the Welsh Connection ... Hope Karl Jenkins hasnt got a Welsh Male Choir involved !! :cool:   Sure the Lass Mike is using will be good though..  Just a case of waiting for the "Leaks" to start surfacing for everyone to get an idea of what the CD will sound like in Reality... Im still wondering if this Halloween Idea is going to be the main theme..
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 05 2007, 11:06

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ July 05 2007, 08:25)
I'm not very techie-minded, though, Korgscrew - what does being "mastered" actually involve? ( No S&M jokes please! )

It's essentially the process of preparing the album for duplication. That could be as simple as taking the finished stereo mix and adding the data which marks out the structure of the tracks on the final CD (PQ encoding in techie speak). It's generally a lot more than that, though, involving various tweaks to make sure the tracks sound right when placed next to each other (especially relevant if they've been mixed by different people on different equipment - the mastering engineer can adjust the overall tonal balance so that they sound more like they belong together), the correcting of any problems which might have been missed in the studio (not in terms of getting rid of mistakes or anything like that - that would need a remix - but more in terms of, say, bringing down the level of a certain frequency because the studio where it was mixed had a monitoring system which was weak at that frequency, which the mix engineer unwittingly compensated for...all sorts of little things like that). Compression and limiting was traditionally used to help make the mix more suitable for cutting to vinyl, but of course now it's done more because people like how it sounds (when it's done right...) and more unfortunately these days, to make it seem louder than every other album (a silly route to go down...).

Interestingly, the concept of the music of the spheres is something which David Bedford has been quite into lately. He composed a piece a few years ago that was based on Arthur C Clarke's 'The City and the Stars' which used the intervals that Johannes Kepler calculated using the angular velocities of the planets in the solar system as they orbit the sun (he went as far as having the Royal Observatory in Greenwich calculate what note Pluto would be...of course that was before it was decided that Pluto isn't a planet). He was planning on using "Kepler's Chord" in other compositions too, but I'm not sure he has done yet.

Of course, it could be said that the music of the spheres is a load of balls, but that would just be sinking to an all time low...
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 13:28

Quote (Alan D @ July 05 2007, 03:53)
It all seems to have happened so fast. I originally envisaged a couple of years, at least, of anguished creative turmoil - and then suddenly (well, more or less suddenly) here it is, done already? Intriguing stuff.

I think the days of Ommadawn are over Alan, maybe Mike just had a couple of weeks of anguished creative turmoil, then again he's got a lifetime of experience to draw on. Actually he did say in a interview shortly after Amarok came out that he could knock out an album in 3 weeks if pushed.

Anyway however long its taken him I just hope its got strong melodies and real atmosphere, ie a return to form.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 14:02

And a big fat pumkin or two on the cover . :O

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
84 replies since July 05 2007, 01:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net