Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield in London for this Friday?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 25 2012, 21:29

Keen followers of BBC Radio 2's Twitter feed will have noticed that Mike is in London this week.

Meanwhile, speculation about Mike's 'project of a lifetime' has mingled with rumours relating to the Olympic opening ceremony in London this Friday, fuelled by the leaked playlist which includes In Dulci Jubilo and Tubular Bells and mention of the ringing of Europe's largest harmonically tuned bell.

While we support the idea of #savethesurprise, we'd also hate for fans to miss anything interesting. So we'd just like to say we think it might be a good idea to tune in to the Olympic opening ceremony this Friday (July 27th), 21:00 London time. It sounds like it should be interesting.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 26 2012, 03:00

If that setlist is in order, its quite ironic that Mike is sandwitched between Oasis and the Sex Pistols :)

Good to see Ron Grainer get a show in.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 26 2012, 08:20

I didn't realise Mike will actually be performing in person rather than just TB & Indulci Jubilo being played in his honour !  :)

Sue
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 09:11

And this Olympic experience...that would increase his popularity here in the UK again!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
spark Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 09:32

Mikes in London ! Well hes not here for a jolly so I would think the Olympics has got something to do with it and also talking to Johnny Walker on BBC Radio 2 is a good promo for the new cds.
Thats this Sunday on Radio 2s Sound of the 70s at 3 pm GMT .
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 11:59

I'd have been doing it anyway but now I'm clearing a little bit more space from within my HDD drive -  to capture the ceremony and then any extra little pieces of reaction to the event in the hours that follow.

From my observation point, I reckon the prize for prescience should be awarded to Ratty, Tati and 3Wheeler!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 12:31

It would explain why Monday sees quantitavely the biggest swathe of Mike Oldfield releases in history - Greatest Hits, the 6-disc box, Plantinum & QE2.

Looks like this was planned as tie-in... watch him in the opening ceremony and - hey, look! - it just so happens that he'll have a few CDs in the shops!

Nice!
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 13:00

...have been very anti Olympics...until now.... ;) funny how you can change your mind!

If Mike is there on Friday, and it all looks like he kinda might be then I am over the moon for him.  He is such an important artist and deserves recognition.

I will be watching and will be absolutely thrilled to hear whatever part gets played from Tubular Bells...it always has meant the start of something...in all kinds of ways...it is a beginning. Let the world open it's ears and feel that wonderful sound :)

bee

p.s.

Can you imagine what it must be like sitting there having a coffee outside a cafe and Mike pulls up on a motorbike...how cool would that be!! I'd never be the same again  :D

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 14:26

Hi Guys,

I called this months ago as Mikes 'Project of a Lifetime' Hope its right, would be absolutely amazing!!!

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Thomas Höög Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 14:41

Quote (Ratty @ July 26 2012, 14:26)
Hi Guys,

I called this months ago as Mikes 'Project of a Lifetime' Hope its right, would be absolutely amazing!!!

Saw your post in the other thread today and was really impressed of your foresight :)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 16:03

Quote (Ratty @ July 26 2012, 18:26)
Hope its right, would be absolutely amazing!!!

Well...let's just say that a bit of crystal gazing suggests it's more than just a trick of the light...if you catch my drift ;)
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 16:40

Less than 24h to find it out  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 26 2012, 16:48

Quote (Korgscrew @ July 26 2012, 22:03)
Quote (Ratty @ July 26 2012, 18:26)
Hope its right, would be absolutely amazing!!!

Well...let's just say that a bit of crystal gazing suggests it's more than just a trick of the light...if you catch my drift ;)

tomorrow saved by the bell  :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 16:48

As found on a blog by someone called Sue, we can be pretty sure Mike's in there somewhere.

I so hope he gets to play something new, a blistering guitar theme.  But my guess is a few seconds of In Dulci Jubilo whilst the world sees a stereotype May Pole dance.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 17:40

For his pains, he may get a cut of this...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp....=468294

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 05:51

The union jack bunting is up at my house. I shall be there at 9 o'clock watching BBC 1HD, with my union jack cake and a glass of Pimms. Really looking forward to it! Do us proud Mike!  :)  :cool:

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 07:24

Tomorrows news:
"Many Mike Oldfield fans were watching Olympics opening ceremony to see their favourite author live after so many years. A project of life time they called it.
When he finally stepped on the stage, to their horror they realized he's not carrying his trademark instrument. Instead he was carrying a CD which he put it into a console playing his previous studio recordings.
26 of these poor sods did not cope with the pressure and committed suicides by jumping out of buildings. One of the victims was a window cleaner who happened to be in away of a falling tubularian.
Some call it a Tubular-Lemming Friday"
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 07:32

There is a website called 43 Things where people list their life goals and then tick try to achieve them.

A user called Alan Window has, in the last two days, updated his goal to "see Mike Oldfield in concert" to an achievement, adding:

"At the Olympic Stadium as part of the Opening Ceremony Technical Dress Rehearsal.

Tubular Bells in concert = Awesome"

http://www.43things.com/things....concert

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
guimabvue Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 07:51

Quote (CJJC @ July 27 2012, 13:32)
There is a website called 43 Things where people list their life goals and then tick try to achieve them.

A user called Alan Window has, in the last two days, updated his goal to "see Mike Oldfield in concert" to an achievement, adding:

"At the Olympic Stadium as part of the Opening Ceremony Technical Dress Rehearsal.

Tubular Bells in concert = Awesome"

http://www.43things.com/things....concert

...and the dream came true!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 07:56

Quote (Black Bunik @ July 27 2012, 11:24)
Instead he was carrying a CD which he put it into a console playing his previous studio recordings.

The 'pastoral landscape' becomes Hergest Ridge, the Olympic rings become a bent bell and the world realises too late that the 2012 Olympics were an elaborate ruse invented by Universal to launch 'Two Sides'...and before anyone knows what's hit them, Mike does a repeat of the infamous 'discus thrower' picture and flings out CDs to the bewildered audience.
Profile PM 
191 replies since July 25 2012, 21:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net