Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Which is better - MOTS studio or live version? :: Total Votes:16
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Studio Version 13  [81.25%]
Live in Bilbao version 3  [18.75%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Which is better - MOTS studio or live version?, What do you think?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
timshen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 22 2008, 07:13

Which one do you prefer? Personally I still prefer the studio version as it captures Mike's guitar work perfectly. There are parts of the live recording that seem to shine more than the studio version (especially Shabda and Musica Universalis finale), but overall I still prefer the studio version.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2008, 10:25

Me too. The live recording has its moments and Mike's guitar isn't as bad as I was led to believe (obviously because the mics had  better spots than the fans). Still, there are some mistakes, not too much, but still.
Profile PM 
changeling Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2008, 13:25

I loved the live version ! It just felt more organic. I always think the closer you can get to the "moment" when a player hits his strings, without production or whatever in the way, the closer you are to the emotion behind the music. Obviously, sometimes the moment can't always be perfect, but it is real.
Actually, i accidently put on the live version the other day (as I have put both versions on separate discs), and it was only the third or fourth time that I had heard the album, and It really jumped out at me and it felt more emotional and dynamic...
:)

--------------
"Terrible, wonderful, crazy, perfect"

Mike Oldfield 1998
Profile PM 
Modeler Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2008, 17:36

There's only one way to find out... FI-I-I-I-IGHT!!!

:p

--------------
Doo dom dop
Doodily doop n'dop n'dop
A-doodily doo dom dop
Doodily doop n'dop n'dop

Man, they don't write songs like that any more...
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2008, 18:19

Its been claimed we dont do that here! but maybe you could take it outside... I'll ref.  :D

By the way, Modeler, welcome to the crazy house and may I just say I love your personal message ^_^

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2008, 18:52

I voted for the studio version, but I really can't decide. They're different. The studio version is shining, glowing with a pristine, translucent perfection - which I love - but I also love the imperfections of the live performance. To me the parts that are not 100% spot on are the true marking of a live performance... otherwise I could've easily believed that they were playing some tape in the Bilbao auditorium or wherever it was. :D But then I heard the beginning of Harbinger... with the string section struggling to play all together and finally managing to... sort-of... :D (and I imagined Mike O. giving the famous "Oldfield looks" to all of the string players, and to Karl Jenkins.) There are thousands of such glitches in the live performance, and that's exactly what I love about it.

One thing I like better in the studio version than in the live one is the choir. On the studio recording it's just six people, while on the live recording it just sounds like a full operatic choir... too operatic, IMHO, while (e.g.) on the studio version of Shabda the lyrics are heard much more clearly in the studio version. Anyway, all in all, that's a very minor point. The studio version is wonderful, and the live version is wonderful as well because of everything in it that's not perfect. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 18 2008, 04:59

I went for studio version but I must say I was very impressed with how good the live one sounds. I'd love to hear it live myself one day. Some comments:

1) The timing in places felt quite different which surprised me. For instance in Silhouette the "tinkly piano" is now "frantic tinkly piano" followed by funeral march flute and harp. Maybe I'm just too used to the studio speeds!

2) Hayley sounded a bit more "warbly" in the live. Not my preference but thats probably just me again.

3) Bum notes in a live performance are sometimes inevitable and part of the experience. However listening to them again and again (such as 3 minutes into Harmonia Mundi - ouch! ) can be a bit painful.

4) The mix of the live performance - though slightly different to the studio - was I thought lovely. Does anyone know if this was adjusted in post production or was the mix this good live? I appreciate those who were there might find this difficult to judge as what they heard suffered from - ehm - concretepillarfication.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 18 2008, 07:36

I like both versions and play them both regualrly, but I think the studio version is the better one.

Hayley sounded a bit more "warbly" in the live. Not my preference but thats probably just me again.

Not just you Matt. I agree. In fact I think the choir too is generally better on the studio version - perhaps down to rehearsal time? Just my opinion - what do I know.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
7 replies since Mar. 22 2008, 07:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net