torbenyj Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 22 2003, 05:39

like it or not
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 22 2003, 17:24

Why be so strict in your poll options? :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: July 22 2003, 18:56

like it very much :cool:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: July 23 2003, 04:27

i JUST lOVE Hergest Ridge!!!
it has got so much emotion in it,man, it is almost as good as "Ommadawn" for me!!!

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: July 23 2003, 11:35

In my opinion, had Hergest Ridge been released ten years after Tubular Bells it would have been hailed a classic. As it happened, the (almost) universal appeal of Tubular Bells and the longevity of its stay in, certainly, the UK charts, overshadowed Hergest Ridge's release (being just one year later) and it was unfairly viewed too similar.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Link Offline

Posted: July 31 2003, 09:05

T4, you're absolutely right!
Like I've once said in "TubularBoard » Discussion » Polls and Opinions » Most under-rated album " :

" Yep, Hergest Ridge...

It always laid in the shadow of Tubular Bells...

I quote from the cdbook of Hergest Ridge:

"... Hergest Ridge went to number 1 in the UK charts immediately and stayed for three weeks. The album that took its place was Tubular Bells. ... "

I think many people expected a new Tubular Bells...
The first time I heard Hergest Ridge, I thought it was a lesser album. But the more I listened to it, the better it got (the same with Ommadawn...).
I once discussed this with Music, the Ancient Language... and he agreed on it too. You really have to listen to Hergest Ridge a few times before you appreciate it. And when that has happened, it is one of the best albums you know!

Respect for Hergest Ridge!!!!!!!! "

If HG had been released somewhat later, it would have been a classic indeed...

Link

--------------
Now Link has saved the day
Put Ganon in his grave
So now Zelda is free, and now our hero shall be..
Link, I think your name shall go down into history!

System of a Down: Legend of Zelda
Profile PM 
Crises Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 08 2003, 12:46

Love it :D

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2003, 18:41

Hergest Ridge 'the quiet but thoughtfull' album... as quoted by music critics when released.

Absolutely brilliant, stands the test of time as one of Mikes better albums. A lot of emotion and soul went into it.

This is what we want more of in his next album.

Cheers, MO fan    :D
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2003, 05:54

Quote (Mike Chadwick @ July 23 2003, 04:27)
i JUST lOVE Hergest Ridge!!!
it has got so much emotion in it,man, it is almost as good as "Ommadawn" for me!!!

My sentiments exactly.
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2003, 14:17

well,the power of this album lies not in it's variety - it lies in emotions and peace that makes this special atmosphere and specifical feeling of HERGEST RIDGE as whole recording.
it can be heard that mike wanted to write something more calm and peacefull that TUBULAR BELLS which were a bit demonic in some moments (Not mentioning the Eggsorcist episode)...i love the whole atmosphere of album!

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 18:25

I believe the main reason why Hergest Ridge is under-rated, overlooked and neglected in the canon of MO, is its subtleness. While TB starts with an instantly recognizable ostinato, and Ommadawn and Incantations (and Amarok, in its twisted way) boldly takes you directly into their respective worlds, Hergest Ridge just gives you several minutes of cool highland breeze and the odd ray of sun before anything at all happens. And even then, everything is misty, grey-green and vague. This is ambient music.

Everyone loves Ludwig van Beethoven's third, fifth and ninth symphonies. Because they grip your attention immediately. But the others are just as great (my personal favourites are 2, 4 and 7), but a lot subtler. They all go on a bit before the main theme is presented, just like HR. (I'm not comparing MO and LvB, though. Ludwig is Zeus, Woden, Jahveh. Oldfield is merely super-human.)

It's a lot easier for the masses to embrace noises, bells and whistles than shepherds chanting in the distance, however great their tunes are. Note how everyone seems to dig HR's rainstorm.

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2003, 03:27

Quote (Satyagraha @ Aug. 18 2003, 00:25)
This is ambient music.

Haha, yeah, that's it, exactly. Ambient music. Pre-dating Brian Eno, Michael Nyman, Wim Mertens & C. by how many years? Nearly twenty? :) :D

And about Beethoven: I don't think he ever composed anything more 'ambient' than his wonderful Sixth Symphony, one of my all-time classical favs.

P.S.: To Korgscrew & Olivier - sorry for wastin' a post this way. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2003, 12:40

Pre-dating Brian Eno, Michael Nyman, Wim Mertens & C. by how many years? Nearly twenty?

Well, Eno's Another Green World came along in 1975, and it's basically the first album to introduce the ambient philosophy. If he was inspired by the sonic textures and images of Hergest Ridge, I cannot say. ;)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Punkadiddle Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2003, 11:39

I love Hergest Ridge.  I love lying down and relaxing whilst listening to it.  My favourite part is the opening 3 or 4 minutes on Part 2.  What about everybody else?
Profile PM 
DanishDonJuan Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2003, 07:50

I love Hergest Ridge, especially the first half. It is one of my favorite Oldfield albums. There are portions of it that really get to me & gives me goosebumps everytime I get there. My favorite parts of the album is egual to all of my favorite music, however Hergest Ridge does have some parts I don't enjoy as much.
But to me this album is awesome. :)

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
wowser Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2004, 22:11

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Aug. 18 2003, 12:40)
Pre-dating Brian Eno, Michael Nyman, Wim Mertens & C. by how many years? Nearly twenty?

Well, Eno's Another Green World came along in 1975, and it's basically the first album to introduce the ambient philosophy. If he was inspired by the sonic textures and images of Hergest Ridge, I cannot say. ;)

i was just about to say that - i find eno's work is truer to what we know to be the ambient style, but it's definitely (from what i've heard of the album) pretty chilled  :cool:

--------------
Pointless act! You don't give a five hundred dollar tip to the housekeeper! That's inappropriate! That's inexcusable!
Profile PM 
dreamweaver Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2004, 10:26

I've just fallen back in love with this album.
I hadn't listened to it for quite a while as I've been in a SODE frame of mind.  But just recently I thought 'hmm why not' and went back to it.  I had forgotton how great this album was... never off the turntable now!!!

--------------
I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
Some letter of that After-Life to spell:
And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
And answer'd "I Myself am Heaven and Hell:"
Profile PM 
12MilesOut Offline

Posted: April 12 2004, 13:56

Hi all. Been bumbling about this site for while but, upon delving a bit deeper, i found a whole bunch of likeminded people.
I love Hergest Ridge... as i do most of MOs recordings. And there's something quite special about listening to HR on the Ridge itself overlooking the beautiful Herefordshire countryside.
Part 1 does remind me of TB but it carries off its own unique feel. I prefer Part2. Its beginnings are mellow and it takes a good 9 mins before slapping you across the face in a great wake up call which lasts a heady 6 minutes before easing into 'mellow fruitfulness' for the final 2-3 minutes. :cool:

--------------
Somebody's out to get you
-Poison Arrows-
Profile PM 
Brewer Offline

Posted: May 07 2004, 22:25

HR is the one piece of music that is just so over whelming, its hard to define how i feel when i listen to it. I have listened to it hundreds of times and just when i think i know it inside out another little background ditty that i never heard before rears it head. This music is not "mood" music for me, as regardless of my humour, when i do hear it it just uplifts me.
If there is such a thing as an orgasmic piece of music then this is it.

--------------
Maker of MOs favourite beverage

No trees were harmed in the creation and sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: May 24 2004, 07:52

Quote (Brewer @ May 07 2004, 22:25)
If there is such a thing as an orgasmic piece of music then this is it.

Actually Ommadawn would get my vote as the 'orgasmic' MO album.

HR is much, much subtler - you're simply not going to get it first time, or even the fourth or fifth time.

The album is built to last - it's subtlety is its strength because you come back to this record when all the others have become too familiar.

Most of the record is so serene and peaceful.  The notable exception is the Thunderstorm sequence - the bit I always skip.  The rest of it I now love to bits, but it took a while....

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
110 replies since July 22 2003, 05:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net