[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music from the balcony - bad?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Rileman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 17 2004, 09:26

I'm thinking of buying the 'Heaven's open' cd, because
it's intresting to hear only Mike's voice all over the songs. :)
But I've heard that the instrumental track 'Music from the balcony' is quite bad and irritating. Is this true?
Is there some of Mike's instrumentals earlier or later after Heaven's open that sounds like 'Music from the Balcony'? Which instruments are appearing on the track and which music style? I need to know before I buy the cd.

--------------
It's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows...
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 17 2004, 09:52

Good question. Well... I love Music From The Balcony, but it's difficult to tell if you will like it. There are NO tracks in Mike's catalogue that come close to Music From The Balcony. If you listened to The Wind Chimes and Amarok, you might have an idea of the style Mike adopted here. But it sounds completely different. It's very influenced by Jazz and Progressive Rock, it's very unpredictable, crazy, and it hardly stands at the same place for very long. Granted, it's brilliantly written, it has very beautiful moments, and above all: it's a humour piece. It's funny, you see. If you're not afraid of seeing Mike trying something highly unusual, I say "go for it". It's no Trout Mask Replica, mind you: it's completely listenable, and it's got more melody than Taurus II. And the vocal tracks are something you gotta witness. You might not like the songs, but, at least, you'll find it interesting. :)

You'd better listen to some more opinions, though.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2004, 10:10

Music from the Balcony sits alone within Mike's own compositions as sounding really quite different from anything else. For me thats reason enough to give the attention it rightly deserves. It's not in any way catchy or immediately tunefull in a way a lot of his other stuff is. Some fans liken it to a sythetic version of Amarok but that doesn't really cover it for me. It has got some deliberately bonkers synth sounds on it and some sections are perhaps overly bombastic but it also has a real energy and fantastic eccectisism (where the Amarok comparison comes in) that we rarely if ever see from him these days. On a technical level it has a really warm production from Tom Newman and for me the best Simon Phillips drumming outside of The Lake. I can't remember the name of the session bassist used but the bass is really powerfull as well.

I can understand why some fans don't like it but I can't sympathise with them. They're not listening hard enough in my opinion, after all it's refreshing to hear Mike produce something this removed from his normal instumental work, that in its own right is got to be woth something. Also you can tell a lot of thought went into it on a creative level, it's got some mad chords and time signatures.

All in all Music from the Balcony is a challenging track but if you're up for it it's a piece you'll keep on going back to.
Profile PM 
MAN IN CRISES Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2004, 17:50

Quote (Rileman @ Mar. 17 2004, 09:26)
I'm thinking of buying the 'Heaven's open' cd, because
it's intresting to hear only Mike's voice all over the songs. :)
But I've heard that the instrumental track 'Music from the balcony' is quite bad and irritating. Is this true?
Is there some of Mike's instrumentals earlier or later after Heaven's open that sounds like 'Music from the Balcony'? Which instruments are appearing on the track and which music style? I need to know before I buy the cd.

Well....?
The opening theme is good. Music from the balcony is a very special song. I'm not sure I like it.
Personal I think it have some good little piece. But 80% is chaos!!! To many moonkees, screaming gitars and noises.
Many bit of it can be beateful but the chaos is breaking it all the time.
Buy it anyway! No dream is good! Gimme back is reggae! Heavens open is more like Holy/ Hostage song (from the album Earth moving)
My little sisters like the vocal songs! She's 14!
She loves Mike too! And no dream she likes very much! Me to naturally!!!
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2004, 06:06

I think it's a very good album, but I know that many don't like Music from the balcony because of all the crazy noises and swift changes. It's very experimental and also rather disjointed. If this doesn't scare you, buy it! =)

The instruments are guitars, piano, drums, bass, keyboards, hammond, bass clarinet, saxophone. Some say Mike is a terrible singer, some say he's a good singer (me included).
Profile PM 
MAN IN CRISES Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2004, 12:20

Quote (oldfield_fan @ Mar. 18 2004, 06:06)
I think it's a very good album, but I know that many don't like Music from the balcony because of all the crazy noises and swift changes. It's very experimental and also rather disjointed. If this doesn't scare you, buy it! =)

The instruments are guitars, piano, drums, bass, keyboards, hammond, bass clarinet, saxophone. Some say Mike is a terrible singer, some say he's a good singer (me included).

:D  I think hes a good singer too!
He have a dark cool voice.
But... to much of it is not good!
Mikes voice on "no dream" is perfect! Sounds like Bowie sometimes....
Profile PM 
Bones Offline

Posted: April 04 2004, 12:33

I have to say, when i first bought Heavens Open, i wasnt all that keen on it.  A few listens later, and its now one of my favourites.  Music From the Balcony, is an amazing, fairly angry sounding piece in parts.  As everyone says the Saxaphone piece, is definatly the highlight of the album.  As for Heavens Open, i loved that song the first time i heard it.

--------------
Amarokin' All Over the World

"Music is at its best when listened to in the dark"
Profile PM 
Q! Offline

Posted: April 04 2004, 18:00

i wouldn't say it's bad but it certainly is not one of my favourites. someone here once said it sounds like an amarok outtake, i tend to agree with that.

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 26 2004, 08:00

I feel it has a really different feel to Amarok. With all the funny synth bits, it is a more discordant and artificial sounding piece. Amarok is more natural, at least to my ears. Overall, I think it's totally mad, not that that's a bad thing! I really like the intro, with the piano and that funny squelchy sound thingy (I've always wondered what that sound actually is). Some of the mad bits are a bit too blah for me, but I really really really love the sax bit in the middle. Six minutes of really good music in the middle of the most unmusical music imaginable. Even this bit though really does not sound like Mike at all. When I think of his music I don't think of funny howling monkey sounds, and I certainly don't think of high powered sax pieces. I think that's why this is an unpopular album, no matter how good it may be it really does not sound like Mike at all.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 26 2004, 08:19

Yup, the feel of MFTB is completely different from Amarok, but the idea is similar. I wrote a line like that in my Heaven's Open review for my site, something like "If you replace the African drums, vocal chants and bagpipes on Amarok for drums, saxophone and samples, you get MFTB". That's more or less what it sounds like, to me. The feel is very different, though. I love that feeling of "this is not Mike!... And I love it!" I get... Plus, there's some awesome Simon Philips drumming in there. I love those rolls he does towards the end, in the middle of the quiet part.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 03 2004, 11:42

Heaven's Open is for me the weakest Mike Oldfield album.

But it is still very good!!!!

About Music from the Balcony, seems to be the continuation to Amarok, with the only difference Mike felt more tired and look forward to leave the company. In a way, this song is for me, as well the whole album, a total mock to Richard Branson and Virgin. But it is still good. There are some unforgettable parts on it.

The beginning is very dreamy, with this magical piano arpeggio and this a little annoying screwy sound.

I love the following part, this very Mike's trademark guitar solo with counterpoint bass, this is Mike in his own essence.

The heavy drums and horns part is tacky but uplifting and spectacular, and the unexpected sax solo adds originality.

My favourite part in the track, is this big screaming guitar climax, after one of the "monkees" parts... it is sudden and unexpected and it's so bright and strong as the Amarok post "hum..." great guitar part.

The part with the vibraphones and the monkees is new agey, magic and strange and reminds me to 'Incantations'.

Another part that I love is when the guitar melody at the start gets repeated in a slow and progressive way while Phillips' drums play some improvised beats... it's real quality.

Mike was really tired and fed up when made this album. They pushed him on to release a record per year and in this one he said... heaven's open, I'll record this album and leave the company. So there's a kind of freedom that brings this surrealistic bits that you can't find in any other album ever. Music from the Balcony is a very special theme, I've always loved it.

'Kee kee kee, kaa kaa kaa'

Delfín>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2005, 12:40

Some parts of this track sound like the kind of thing Jean Michel Jarre would create which I found interesting upon my first listen, it's a good track but not to all tastes :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2005, 14:45

MFTB is a triumph. Far more progressive than many of the neo-progressive rock bands around at the time of its release. Yes - it's challenging, complex, constantly shifting in tone and pace, painting vast aural landscapes in an instant from a sparse, almost blank canvas of simple piano melodies or rhythmic synths and sound effects.

The traditional Mike sound is there - the unique guitar styles and phrasing, synth refrain and high on melody; very high on melody. It's almost like he had parts left over which didn't make it onto Amarok, so he blended them into another 20 minute piece against a Crises background as opposed to Ommadawn. There are even nods to QE2 and Mussorgsky's 'Great Gates of Kiev' three-quarters of the way in and again at the climax, just prior to final few notes of sax in the fade out.

As for the vocal tracks, there are reasons why there are very few examples of Mike's vocal prowess both prior to and after the release of Heaven's Open. 'Nuff said. ;)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2006, 13:10

I really love this song, except maybe for the loud chaos bits, though I know why they're there, ... just to tease and make you go 'what the f is this??'

I was always obsessed with the animal noises in it... and the piano tune is great.
Some music would fit perfectly with the cartoon Dexters Labratory  :laugh:
the weird electronic bits... great Phillips playing on it.

Waiting for mike to call Simon again  :laugh:  :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 14 2006, 13:12

hey, just now noticed I posted in this exactly one year after the last post...
It took me THAT long to come up with this inspirational story I just wrote  :p

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2006, 14:27

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Sep. 14 2006, 13:10)
I really love this song, except maybe for the loud chaos bits, though I know why they're there, ... just to tease and make you go 'what the f is this??'

You mean "Batsh*t, Batsh*t" ?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 14 2006, 14:32

hehe... I'm not sure...
This piece is 3 times, 2 in the beginning and very long chaos bit at about 16 minutes...

hahahha...

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 14 2006, 19:22

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Sep. 14 2006, 19:10)

I was always obsessed with the animal noises in it... and the piano tune is great.
Some music would fit perfectly with the cartoon Dexters Labratory  :laugh:
the weird electronic bits... great Phillips playing on it.

Waiting for mike to call Simon again  :laugh:  :cool:

i have the same thought like you :)
i dont mind this album at all. Im starting to like it actually!
Im the kind of person who likes chaos, like he do in that strange long piece he he

cool stuff the whole idea

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2006, 16:48

So... Rileman (topic starter), are you still here? If you did buy the album eventually, then will you please tell us your opinions of it! And are you still listening to it sometimes? Just curious :-)
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 16 2006, 05:21

Quote (oldfield_fan @ Sep. 15 2006, 16:48)
So... Rileman (topic starter), are you still here? If you did buy the album eventually, then will you please tell us your opinions of it! And are you still listening to it sometimes? Just curious :-)

I thought about that too...
but you only get up to thirty days of email notifications if you're subscribed to a thread, so he'll probably not know we're writing in his thread again... Shame actually... Most forums have it that you can receive emails 2 years later  ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
38 replies since Mar. 17 2004, 09:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net