Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: phil collins?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jesse Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 20 2007, 15:59

how did he get involved in the recording? such a famous musician and i found no article about it?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 20 2007, 18:31

Phil Collins was involved in an attempt by Mike to make QE2 a bit more 'commercial' and 'sellable' than his previous work. As Richard Carter writes here on tubular.net in his Discography entry for the album:

«With QE2, Mike attempted to cooperate with his record company, Virgin, a bit more. His hope was that if he took their suggestions on board, they would promote his albums better, especially in the USA where they sometimes weren't being released at all. At their suggestion, he recorded covers of Abba's track 'Arrival' and 'Wonderful land', a piece made famous by The Shadows. He also took David Hentschel on board, who at the time was working with Genesis. Virgin still didn't promote the album in the way Mike would have liked, however, which caused further resentment.»

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 20 2007, 19:21

I'm not entirely convinced that Phil Collins's involvement has anything to do with the commercial appeal of the album. It's true that, in 1980, Genesis was cracking the charts with Duke, but Phil's collaboration in QE2 is restricted to drums, and it's the same kind of drumming he was renowned for in mid-70's Genesis, for example. Also, Phil collaborated with many renowned artists for many "non-commecial" albums - for instance, he played on Brian Eno's Before and After Science, from 1977, and on Peter Gabriel's third solo album, also from 1980.

My personal opinion is that Phil was brought in for his drumming skills, which I think are extraordinary. The commercial aspects of QE2 are more related to its overall sound, with more air between the instruments, less thick song structures, Vocoders, shorter tracks and cover versions.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 20 2007, 21:57

The drum job that Phil did on QE2 it's just AB FAB,one of my favorite PC's drumming for other artists.

But I've never seen him commenting about those sessions,and I'm a fan of Phil's for 18 years...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2007, 02:15

David Hentschell worked with Genesis. Morris Pert and Mike Frye (I think) had been playing with Brand X. Several people involved knew Phil personally. Remember this was pre-"Face Value", so Phil's involvement propably wasn't much of a selling point.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 29 2014, 07:30

It is interesting that Phil Collins played on this album, I think he does a great job with his drumming on QE2. I have never heard/read either Mike or Phil comment about Phil's involvement on this album, has anyone else? was there a photograph taken of the 2 of them together?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 06 2014, 05:09

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ April 29 2014, 11:30)
It is interesting that Phil Collins played on this album, I think he does a great job with his drumming on QE2. I have never heard/read either Mike or Phil comment about Phil's involvement on this album, has anyone else? was there a photograph taken of the 2 of them together?

The only time I've seen the two together was on the vid for Richard Branson's This Is Your Life.Mike sat close to Phil and that's it.

We're in 2014 but no much info on the collaboration is available.Dunno why!!!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
MasterGeek.MX Offline

Posted: May 15 2014, 01:09

Recently his son, Simon Collins, released an album with his band "Sound of Contact". The disc is called "Dimensionaut" And is great.

Here is a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki51CI0Yp4E

--------------
Hailings from a Mexican Mike Oldfield's fan.

Y chingue su madre el que no le guste Campanas Tubulares!
Profile PM 
memberd Offline

Posted: April 07 2015, 09:59

My guess is that it was David Hentschell who brought them together or rather brought Collins in to play the drums on those tracks where he features. Note also the use of the CR "Compu-Rhythm" drum machine at the beginning of Taurus 1 - Collins used it on Duke and on his debut solo album.[I]

--------------
"...inside, and the positions are reversed..."
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 08 2015, 11:45

Something I only recently found out: Dave Hentschel did the huge ARP synth intro to Funeral For A Friend/ Love Lies Bleeding (the opening of Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" album).

He's a handy way of getting from Mike Oldfield to Elton John / Genesis if you are ever playing that six degrees of separation game.
Profile PM 
9 replies since Dec. 20 2007, 15:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net