Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Radio 2 campaign, Platinum collection being PROMOTED< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
simmo2005 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 24 2006, 06:02

Further to yesterday's interview with MO, BBC 2 have continued to promote the platinum ollection, and on the Ken Bruce show (radio 2) the 5 mins opening to TB1 was just played followed by an announcement of the release date of PC.

And begs the question  WHY DIDN'T THAT GET DONE FOR L+S??????????
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2006, 06:56

I have actually formulated a theory about this... (although I don't believe it for a second, but heh, someone might like it)

Notice... the first album was TB.

The second was the antithesis of this, stately, calming, relaxing.

The third was a return to the compositional style, yet completely different in itself...

So, transpose that 30 years on...

The first album (after 30 years) was TB.

The second album was the antithesis of this, pop-y, hip, and 'with it'.

The third... well from his description, it may just be similar in idea to Ommadawn...  :)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2006, 07:05

So, the theory as to why it wasn't promoted is the same as for HR - it didn't need it really, as soon as anything Oldfield was mentioned, people ran out and bought it :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2006, 06:58

The Platinum Collection is one of the TOP TEN PRE-RELEASES on the WH SMITH website.
If Smith's are stocking it (they haven't stocked an MO new release since The Best Of TB in 2001) then we could be in for a decent chart placing first week of release... !!
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2006, 17:31

Generaly Mike's best of albums do make a good dent on the charts, i feel that they are bought by people that dont generaly follow mikes music to the note, like us lot, but buy them to test the waters of later albums, plus with us buying it to add to the collection it makes the numbers up, its all good tho, people will see Mike Oldfield at number whatever in the charts and think ooooh i wonder what thats all about and buy it! hehehe

well maybe

:p

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2006, 19:51

And for newbies,compilations can help'em to find out more about the artist,musically speaking,and on Mike's case,that there much more to offer to the listener than just Tubular Bells(The Exorcist Theme) and Moonlight Shadow \o/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Duggeh Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2006, 08:21

I find any drawing of parallels between Hergest Ridge and Light and Shade, even that casual, to be sort of insulting. But then I am an absolute Hergest Ridge nut.

Excuse me know while I go mad and bounce off the walls to the thunderstorm section....

--------------
http://www.thismanwillkillyou.com
http://www.last.fm/user/Dougmac21
Profile PM WEB 
Ian Too Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2006, 06:32

Quote (Duggeh @ Mar. 03 2006, 08:21)
I find any drawing of parallels between Hergest Ridge and Light and Shade, even that casual, to be sort of insulting. But then I am an absolute Hergest Ridge nut.

Excuse me know while I go mad and bounce off the walls to the thunderstorm section....

Don't make excuses, I'm absolutely with you on this and I'm confident many others are as well. If it weren't just a bit of fun it woud be downright offensive, instead mildly insulting.

In my bones, I don't feel that Mike was in a strong position when he signed with Mercury. Despite generous publicity, Mike's WEA albums haven't performed well; to the point that WEA Spain chose not to release the last album of their contract.

I think it's important for Mike to rekindle interest in his music and the Platinum Collection, along with the autobiography and promises of a long piece are part of a strategy to do just that.

Hopefully, Mike the publicist has made way for Mike the mucian and composer, in which case I'm all for it. Who knows, I might even come to respect him again.

--------------
(-: Ian :-)

Currently reading:
What Remains to be Discovered by John Maddox
Also doing far too much decorating than is good for one :)
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2006, 06:47

Quote (Ian Too @ Mar. 05 2006, 06:32)
Who knows, I might even come to respect him again.

:laugh:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2006, 08:53

Yeah, that is pretty funny.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
Ian Too Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2006, 05:10

:) I'm glad you find that amsuing, but you people who are so uncritical don't understand. I'm not expecting Mike to be Peter Gabriel or anything.

My concern isn't so that I can stand in judgement over everyone and find them wanting, but that I think I can see behaviour which is harmful, both to him and his loved ones. Alcohol becomes a problem long before it becomes an addiction.

Despite all the soul searching he claims to have done and all the psychoanalysis, he doesn't seem to be any better off.

I sincerely hope that this autobioraphy has brought about the change of heart Mike claims. He will be happier for it and I won't feel like Cassandra before the fall of Troy.

--------------

Currently reading:
Profile PM WEB 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2006, 06:44

but you people who are so uncritical don't understand

... i thought we were being critical by discussing the poor publicity of L&S...

plus, just because we dont critique mikes personal life, doesnt mean were uncritical.

hehehee :D

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2006, 07:33

Quote (Ian Too @ Mar. 06 2006, 10:10)
Despite all the soul searching he claims to have done and all the psychoanalysis, he doesn't seem to be any better off.

And who are you to make judgements like that? Are you his keeper? Can you see inside his mind and say with absolute certainty that you know whats going on in his mind?

I can't even say this for myself, given the influences of the subconscious and learning about my personality. If you think you can do this regarding someone whom you presumably have never met in person, then personally I think you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2006, 07:59

It does depend on what we're talking about here, whether we're talking personally better off or artistically better off. If its the latter then I would certainly agree with Ian Too, he absolutely doesn't seem any better off, if we're talking about personal issues then obviously who are we to judge, though there is the argument that in Mike's case the two are obviously linked to a certain extent and you could make observations based on the state and content of Mike's music verses his general place as an all round human being and how he got to where he is, psychologically speaking.
Profile PM 
Ian Too Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2006, 11:53

Quote (arron11196 @ Mar. 06 2006, 07:33)
Quote (Ian Too @ Mar. 06 2006, 10:10)

And who are you to make judgements like that? Are you his keeper? Can you see inside his mind and say with absolute certainty that you know whats going on in his mind?

Well I did use the word seem to indicate that I'm not claiming knowledge, only expressing the impression I that forms when I read his words. After all the whole point of language is to transfer meaning from one mind to the other.

Of course I could be wrong, in fact I hope I am. However, Mike has not been reticent about his psychological problems and he is by no means someone with a poker face.

I can't even say this for myself, given the influences of the subconscious and learning about my personality. If you think you can do this regarding someone whom you presumably have never met in person, then personally I think you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

Well if you have so little self-knowledge, it's no suprise you can't see what causes me concern; though really I don't hink that is what is happening here.

You don't approve of what I'm saying - that is the impression you give me, so bare in mind that you say more about yourself than the meaning of your words. These are the impressions that just float into my mind when I read, listen or watch people speak. I'm surpised this doesn't happen to you, you must live a very dry life.

--------------

Currently reading:
Profile PM WEB 
Ian Too Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2006, 12:04

Quote (jonnyw @ Mar. 06 2006, 06:44)
but you people who are so uncritical don't understand

... i thought we were being critical by discussing the poor publicity of L&S...

Frankly, I don't think L+S was worth the publicity.

plus, just because we dont critique mikes personal life, doesnt mean were uncritical.

hehehee :D

Oh come on, many people here are downright hostile to people who are critical; even if only of the music. For some of you, your regard for Mike reaches religious proportions and so does your intolerance.

hehehehehehe :D

See my laughter doesn't fool anyone either.

--------------

Currently reading:
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2006, 13:04

Everyone's welcome to an opinion. It's just that, most people on this forum seem to be able to give an opinion - and make it just that - an opinion - and not make it sound as though a God whom supposedly knows everything has spoken.

Yet again, harsh words from you Ian Too. It seems as though you have succeeded again in bringing me to your level. I marvel at how darkly you view the world; as though everyone has to have a negative agenda.

I also laugh at the fact that you haven't actually read what I have said here, just interpreted what I've put as to how you want to. "Mike has not been reticent about his psychological problems and he is by no means someone with a poker face.
" Again, how do you know? The best anyone can do here is theorise, and to make such broad sweeping statements as though you are his brother is something that I'm sure, would  not only rile me.

I have not been around on this forum as much, as your last round of negativity left me less than happy with coming here regularly. I say it again: Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That includes me. That includes you. NO ONE however, has the right to force opinions onto others, and I do not like the tone with which you choose to communicate yourself.

For what it's worth, I also think that some people idolise Mike and take that to grand proportions - but hey, each to their own, eh? Perhaps it would be especially poingnant of you to realise the climate you are conversing in, and be mindful of that situation.

Or maybe it's that you just enjoy being the person most people don't like, I don't know. It's not really my concern. What is is that yet again, you have made me seriously consider whether I want to continue coming here. I can do without this rapt negativity in my life, in whatever form it comes in. Maybe to you this is just a forum where you let of steam occasionally. To me I get to meet and talk with friends in a pleasant atmosphere - albeit mostly.

Maybe I should let you alone to your dark view, and take mine elsewhere. Praps that'd make you happy, and then we can both move on from this.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2006, 17:20

Can I also say at this point, that my earlier post regarding an ill-baked theory was an attempt at humour. Evidently you can't please everyone as it appears some have been offended. Fair enough; I didn't anticipate that, and that certainly wasn't my intention so for that I apologise.

I will just have to learn that not everyone appreciates my form of humour.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 08:45

See my laughter doesn't fool anyone either.

typical of you Ian to take something so serious, the "hehehe" was as a mark that i was taking this light hearted, something you never seem to do.

And arron, i understand your humour, as you well know i have a simliar sense of humour also, but please arron i enjoy your company here on tubular and i always look out to read your posts, so dont consider for a second that Ians tone should be enough to qualm your visits to the site.
    I believe strongly in what youve taught me, "to each their own" i know ive thought that before but never before have i realised it in grand detail thanks to our discussions on msn. So Ian i must say I belive strongly that if anyone here idolises or admires mike in grand preportions then they should do so without being told they are wrong.

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Profile PM WEB 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 08:51

by the way, your opinions on how you dislkie mike as a person are very much valid! But all im merely saying is to be careful in arguing with someone who does like him as a person, (i have no opinion on his personality as i only know his music and refuse to discuss his personal life, even if i knew anything), im pretty much only saying that in my opinion, you shouldnt speak ill of him if someone has a good opinion of him, i say that critique his music by all means, but his personal life is a diffrent story as you know well im sure that he is a very private person, and if i didnt know any better, you look like your antaggonising him. IMHO.

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Profile PM WEB 
29 replies since Feb. 24 2006, 06:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net