[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: all music making people check this out< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Q! Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 02 2004, 18:22

VOCALOID VIRTUAL VOCALISTS:
http://www.zero-g.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=802

this thing absolutely rulez, download the demos, incredible stuff. i must have it! too bad it's rather expensive.

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTERin WinXP
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 03 2004, 10:43

too lazy to login.........

Hey I heard about this software when it's development started, actually I heard the demos and it all sounds very promising though the price.............:-/
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2004, 12:42

What is it that makes me feel we'll hear this on a Mike album pretty soon?  :D
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2004, 18:04

The V-Phrase function on my Roland VA-7 synthesizer does pretty much the same as this. Shame that I can't make it work. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 03 2004, 18:53

You probably can't make it work because it can't do it! The Roland Variphrase system uses similar pitch shifting technologies, but Vocaloid is the first time that they've been applied (at least commercially) to a voice synthesiser. The basic principals of taking many samples of a voice and combining them to make intelligible words is nothing new - the singing voices on the Mac are an example of that, and they're not the only ones and not the first either. The new pitch shifting/processing technology in vocaloid allows for far more realistic results, however (just as Variphrase allows much more room for manipulation before everything starts sounding pingy/chipmunk-like).

I'm not sure what I think. I like the possibility of being able to create new forms of bizarre, synthetic voices, but I also wonder if the reason why people make music is being lost sight of by some...
Profile PM 
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2004, 10:02

Well - people have string sample libraries, but the genuine article is still being used. Same with this. Also, based on the demos the Zero-G Vocaloid products (Leon and Lola) have on the website the result can be described as adequate at most. Like drum loops with real drums, this will not replace normal vocals - though it will impact in the long run on when and how much real voice will be used.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2004, 11:05

Well, I'm not suggesting that vocalists will be out of a job within the next few weeks!

I was commenting more on the cookie-cutter mentality, bashing out tracks with all the fashionable presets and samples, without much pause for thought.

I get the feeling we'll be hearing a lot of Vocaloid in the years to come, just as we hear synth saxophones and flutes at the moment (if you get what I mean! ).

The problem's never the tools, but the way people use them...
Profile PM 
Square
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 06 2004, 07:11

Actually, for people interested in synthetic singing, if you do not have Win XP, you can try Yamaha S-YXG100 plus software MIDI synthesizer, which is a great XG MIDI set and comes with VA plugin (virtual accoustics - most realistic sounding instrument simulations I've ever heard, derrived from famous Yamaha VL synths) and SG plugin, which is a voice synthesizer capable of "singing" lyrics and with quite a few variations (japanese female singing, opera voice, itd.). I've never actually got SG to work (nor tried too hard) but I've heard it in action. Unfortunately, as I've said, it does not work under Win XP due to different MIDI structure, and I'm still waiting for an update.
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2004, 08:16

Yamaha actually have a bit of a history with speech synthesis - their FS1R module caused a bit of a stir with its formant synthesis a few years back (this might be the same technology that's in the SG plugin, I haven't investigated). Before that, some of the Yamaha FM synthesisers were reportedly released with speech synthesis software in Japan. That might not be so surprising if you know that the FS1R was itself based on their FM synthesisers of the past.

The Korg Wavestation was also capable of speech synthesis, though not by design - some programmers managed it by combining certain partials, one after the other, using its wave sequencing feature. Rumour has it that Korg executives refused to believe it was even possible, until someone programmed up a patch which told them where to go!
Profile PM 
8 replies since Feb. 02 2004, 18:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net