Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Most Embarrassing CD in Your Collection< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 02:11

You know what I'm talking about... the one you make sure isn't out in the open when friends come over. In fact, it may not even be allowed to mingle with the other CDs. It might be relegated to a spot behind the encyclopedias or beneath a loose floorboard.

Mine is... the soundtrack to Xanadu.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 03:15

Yeppers, Xanadu was worth hiding. Never heard it, not so sorry to say. I was a fairly late newcomer to collecting CD's. I think they became available(although your choices were small) around 1986. I never even bought a player till 1997. Prior to discovering P2P file sharing around 2002, I bought maybe 100CD's to replace MO and other favs. After that.....well...thats life. What would I hide would be anything by: Bee Gees, The Mamas and the Papas, The Carpenters, The Osmonds(any member), Peter, Paul and Mary, Menudo, New Kids On The Block, Kiss(big cult following here but all based on Alice Cooper), and Barry Manilow. Keep it in the dark like skeletons in the closet. OMG....some of of this could have been used in place of syrup of ipecac to induce vomiting. Although I will admit I kind of like Bee Gee's "Jive Talkin'"
Jimbo
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 03:47

Gosh and gee, did I end that with Jimbo Jim? Only one signature per customer. Sorry. But it does give me an excuse to add some more nauseating albums. Besides Sweatpea, your threads always get me to "get involved"......I had mostly LP's to hide, or show off, at my age(47 in August). To add to the list...OMG...was stuph my mom liked: Roger Whittaker. This dude sang like Burl Ives(HIDE HIM TOO!!!;). "For I have loved you dearly, more dearly than the spoken word can tell." I just wanted to hurl every time I heard that. What I did when I had 300+ LP's I lugged around in the 80's was put the "coolest" LP cover in front of my collection. Which was a very rare album by Godley and Creme called "Snack Attack". It had a cover with a large hamburger creature with eyes ready to attack you. Way too cool.
Jimbo

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 04:40

This in itself isn't embarrassing, well one track is, about 1 1/2 years ago I wanted to get a copy of Cliff Richard's "Move It" as he had reissued it with Brian May on guitar, and as you'll know I'm nuts about Queen  :cool: . However the thing was I had to buy the CD single of "21st Century Christmas" to get Move It and 21st CC is rather pants  :p , I much prefer  King Crimsons "21st Century Schizoid Man" :cool: .

I know Cliff is generally seen as "older persons music" or uncool these days, but Move It is pure Rock n Roll, I wish Cliff would return to that style of music, but working with Brian May is uber cool    :cool:  

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 04:43

All Over The Wiiiiiirrrrllld...Xanadu`s mint man got some brilliant songs on it.Well ok one side of it has,and then the other side.. :/ ..I`ve yet to see this movie start to finish.But out of the ten-fifteen minutes I`ve managed to accumulate over the years from accidental remote flicking.I`m prepared to state here quite catergoricaly and without any hestation at all,that I`ve seen about fifteen minutes too much.

I do like some of the Bee Gees sixties back catalogue though I have to admit.Before they really kicked in with all that high-pitched singing stuff.No dis-respect intended to the late Maurice Gibb here God rest his soul.But I think if they`d gone on any longer most of their songs would probably have now been only audible to animals.You know they would have absolutely nailed the whole dog & cat demograph hands down imo.

In The Lounge with Andy Williams is probably right up there for me.No way I`m selling it though love it to bits.My problem is I`ve got all my wife`s albums stuck up on the shelves here as well.All kind of mixed in alphabeticaly unfortunatly so friends can have a field day when they`re looking through them.So anyway we`ve got Rick Astley,Wham,Wet Wet Wet,Duran Duran etc etc..Oh and we did have a Culture Club album but luckily the dog ate it,along with Who`s Next unfortunatly...Only one of those albums has since been replaced I might add..."We don`t get fooled again..oh no"!

Worst of the worst though (and my wife says she bought this in a charity shop for a joke or something but given her track record the jury`s still out for me) is undoubtably David Hasselhoff Sings America..The Hoff sings 15 American classics..Rhinestone Cowboy,Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head,California Girls,New York New York,...These Boots Are Made For Walking??????...WTF...I`ve never even heard this thing honestly I`m just reading the sleeve here and I can`t even believe it myself..Good Grief,..La Isla Bonita???No way...No Frickin` Way!.....Aaargh Amazing Grace ha ha I`ve got to hear this thing now just for comparison..          :D
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 05:20

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Aug. 01 2008, 09:40)
This in itself isn't embarrassing, well one track is, about 1 1/2 years ago I wanted to get a copy of Cliff Richard's "Move It" as he had reissued it with Brian May on guitar, and as you'll know I'm nuts about Queen  :cool: . However the thing was I had to buy the CD single of "21st Century Christmas" to get Move It and 21st CC is rather pants  :p , I much prefer  King Crimsons "21st Century Schizoid Man" :cool: .

I know Cliff is generally seen as "older persons music" or uncool these days, but Move It is pure Rock n Roll, I wish Cliff would return to that style of music, but working with Brian May is uber cool    :cool:  

Yeah Move It was a pretty cool song for the time I agree.My problem is I can`t watch Cliff without laughing.All those hand movements and stuff the guy just cracks me up big time.Wired For Sound..omg that video just brings tears to my eyes..And Green Light?? runs it a pretty close second imo.

My dad was a big Cliff fan up to a point.I think the relentless xmas singles kind of finished it off for him sadly.He`s an old rocker/teddy boy at heart my old man.Apparently when Cliff relased his kind of "back to rock" album in the mid 70`s I`m Nearly Famous.A certain Jimmy Page was often to be seen walking around with a "Cliff I`m Nearly Famous lapel badge"..Good enough for Jimmy I guess so he can`t be all bad imo..I know a couple of years back Cliff recorded a more rockier type of album over in America.Spent a lot of time and money on it from what I remember.But yeah I can`t remember much more about it now so I guess it did`nt manage to do for him what I`m Nearly Famous did for him back in the 70`s..

Oh and I could`nt resist it  Wired For Sound

Of all the places to go roller skating why the hell did he pick what appears to be the studios for Pebble Mill At One?.. :p
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 05:27

So does Gene Kelly put the roller skates on in Xanadu then?I bet if he did do he could`nt have whirled around as gracefully as old Cliff there..Poetry in motion.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 05:42

Quote (Dirk Star @ Aug. 01 2008, 09:20)
Oh and I could`nt resist it  Wired For Sound

Of all the places to go roller skating why the hell did he pick what appears to be the studios for Pebble Mill At One?.. :p

I think some of those scenes were shot in the shopping centre at Milton Keynes, I hate Milton Keynes, so glad I don't live there, it's worse than round here, and here is bad enough.  I hate shopping too:p , and I avoid Milton Keynes if I possibly can  avoid it and shopping  where I can:p , which isn't very girly for a female, but I'm not exactly a stereotypical female     :cool: , coming on a Mike Oldfield board isn't very girly, since I think Mike has more male fans, and the only soaps I'm interested in are ones you wash with.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 12:35

Bit like confession.Bless me father for i have sinned.....i have a wombles lp in my record collection.I don't know where it comes from or why it's there.It's been in there for years and since i'm a terrible horder i can't seem to bring myself to get rid of it.
I also have a 45 of house of the rising sun that dates back to when i was learning guitar.Like a lot of guitar players this was the first song i learned to play so my sister went out and bought me a copy.I actually really dislike the song (or at least the Animals version)but i didn't have the heart to tell her that i was only playing it to please the guy that was teaching me a bit.I was much more into playing like Eric Clapton.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 13:46

Aha,nothing beats Modern Talking - Back for Good :laugh:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 14:04

Who?!? :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 14:36

Manowar, I guess.  :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2008, 00:40

I don't know how any music that one likes can be embarrassing. If it doesn't match up to currently-accepted (bandwagon) criteria, perhaps the criteria are wrong. They often are. Nothing I own or like embarrasses me. Other people's attitudes often do.
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2008, 01:48

Not a CD, but I have Spitting Image's Chicken Song on 12-inch. And it's 12 minutes long, three/four minutes of the 'song' followed by the chorus repeated ad nauseam. Not something I'm proud of owning, but the Phil Collins pastiche on the B-side is actually quite funny.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2008, 07:53

Quote (The Caveman @ Aug. 01 2008, 12:35)
Bit like confession.Bless me father for i have sinned.....i have a wombles lp

Im a Big Mike Batt fan....  you know its only in the UK he is well Known for the Wombles Period... Euroland Knows him more for his Composing & The other Solo Albums Hes Made..
"A Songwriters Tale" just sold well over Here though a Few Months ago....

i think Country Line Dancing Volume 5 is my top faux pas on my CD Rack.. What was someone thinking when they bought me that !! lol :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2008, 14:06

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 01 2008, 03:47)
What I did when I had 300+ LP's I lugged around in the 80's was put the "coolest" LP cover in front of my collection. Which was a very rare album by Godley and Creme called "Snack Attack". It had a cover with a large hamburger creature with eyes ready to attack you. Way too cool.

I Googled for that image and now I don't think I'll ever forget it.

Quote (Dirk Star @ Aug. 01 2008, 04:43)
out of the ten-fifteen minutes I`ve managed to accumulate over the years from accidental remote flicking.I`m prepared to state here quite catergoricaly and without any hestation at all,that I`ve seen about fifteen minutes too much.

I was twelve when I saw it at the cinema, and I wasn't a picky viewer then. But catching a bit on TV, years later, was quite painful. And now I'm thinking, since I haven't heard Hasselhoff sing "Rhinestone Cowboy", I haven't really lived.

Quote (3Wheeler @ Aug. 02 2008, 07:53)
Country Line Dancing Volume 5 is my top faux pas on my CD Rack.. What was someone thinking when they bought me that !! lol :cool:

Maybe they were thinking you had volumes 1, 2, 3, and 4? C'mon, admit it!

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2008, 14:16

Quote (Sweetpea @ Aug. 02 2008, 19:06)

And now I'm thinking, since I haven't heard Hasselhoff sing "Rhinestone Cowboy", I haven't really lived.

:laugh: Then neither have I, as I still hav`nt been able to bring myself to listen to it yet.I`m actualy pretty sure my wife`s never listened to it either.It`s just kind of sat on the shelf there waiting for the perfect moment I guess.Might start organising a Knight Rider themed party night or something and give that thing a blast.Or yeah maybe Baywatch would be more appropraite for this time of year??Yeah I know a lot of people who would look pretty amusing in those red bathing suits..Heh heh bring it on...
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 02 2008, 16:16

When I was young, in my quest for instrumental music, I bought cassettes of these Synthesizer Greatest covers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Starink
It's strange how much I loved it and how much I hate it now.
He is also in the music of the universe bandwagon now: After a long recreational periode Ed Starink decided to fulfil his dream to compose an epos about the universe. This gigantic project will probably take about 10 years to complete. He started in 2002/2003 with preparing and composing for this project..
Profile PM 
sabertooth Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 02 2008, 16:43

Ok ... David Hasselhoff ... but i was young, soooo young!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2008, 00:33

Actually "Snack attack" was a very interesting album. Featured a song about a ghost woman who haunts a train. Another one about riding camels in the desert looking for sacred stone tablets. Released in the UK as "Ismism", that cover was not as cool. MO enthusists probably would like Godley and Creme especially "Freeze Frame".

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
92 replies since Aug. 01 2008, 02:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net