Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Telecaster Speculation Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 05 2010, 05:32

I think my first thought was that we might get another kind of Music Of The Spheres type album only this time with an electric guitar,which would be kind of cool.And then remembering a thread that Bassman once started here I actualy considered that Mike might do an album of Shadows tunes.Until that is it suddenly dawned on me that old Hank played a Stratocaster and not a Telecaster,which just goes to show you how much I know about guitars.Or for that matter Casters.So for those of you like me who are pretty green on the Telecaster front,or just out of curiosity maybe.Here`s a list of famous players of the instrument (including mike) up on Wikipedia What`s the betting that Mike excluded,it`s like nothing that`s even up there?

I noticed Caveman speculating in Fanny`s thread,that Mike might still have his original TB Tele,which I believe was the one that once belonged to Marc Bolan.So yeah not very likely,but maybe we`ll get an album full of T.Rex cover versions.Hey stranger things have happened at sea.Although the fact that the Oldfields would appear to be coming back to shore soon,would just about rule that whole imaginary project out the window I should`nt wonder...Or porthole..Whatever floats your boat/house/living arrangements.

Either way it`s interesting to kind of wonder and speculate,or just to have fun with a little bit.But most of all it`s exciting to learn that Mike is "working" on new music again.Amen to that daddio!
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 05 2010, 07:26

Get It On (Bang A Gong)

or maybe a bell?

;)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2010, 08:51

It would be cool to see him use it again.The only time i've ever seen it in use is in the vid for Guilty.It looks kind of odd as i've only ever seen pics of him with the SG's,L6S,Strats or PRS's (and one photo of him with the black Les Paul Custom and the same with the Hofner Shorty TB guitar).
T Rex covers/It's be funny but Mike's in a whole diferent league to Bolan.he wrote good songs but he wasn't any where near of the calibre of Mike as a player.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2010, 10:48

I would love to hear something blasting,louder coming from the good old TB Telecaster guitar,inspired by his travels on the sea  :)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2010, 10:56

I would love to hear anything new!

Mike can even play the spoons if he likes - I'm not fussy  ;)

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2010, 13:26

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 05 2010, 08:51)
T Rex covers/It's be funny but Mike's in a whole diferent league to Bolan.he wrote good songs but he wasn't any where near of the calibre of Mike as a player.

Exactly.. Mike couldnt Sing Metal Guru  .. But Bolan might not make a Fist of some tricky MO Guitar Solo...   Never the less both are top of there game ..

Tony Visconti was in Charge of Bolan.. Apparently he was Hard work according to a  article that Ive read in the past..
Electric Warrior & The Slider are Great albums though.. I still play both of those to this Day..

I wouldnt say no to a album of 50% covers of  Telecaster Classics and the others some MO Compositions.. guess hes got to put a studio together 1st though.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2010, 13:43

I'm hoping for a prog-type album, he hasn't done one for so long...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2010, 17:15

Quote (Syd B @ Mar. 05 2010, 19:43)
I'm hoping for a prog-type album, he hasn't done one for so long...

Oh, no! I'm not! I'd rather prefer he did something poppy... :D

...nah, I'm just joking. As long as Mike Oldfield plays an electric guitar [any electric guitar!] as only Mike Oldfield can play an electric guitar, I'm happy with whatever he does. :music:

@ Tubular Trekkie: he did play the spoons on one occasion, but I think you don't remember where. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2010, 19:04

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 05 2010, 17:15)
Oh, no! I'm not! I'd rather prefer he did something poppy... :D

Many a true word spoken in jest, Ugo?  ("You will have nothing but pop/Nothing but fluff from start to stop")  :D

I prefer Mike's work where he embraces the latest in technology, and the musical imagery reflects that technology. He really seems to soar then.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2010, 11:38

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 05 2010, 22:15)
@ Tubular Trekkie: he did play the spoons on one occasion, but I think you don't remember where. :)

Apparently not.
Damn! My uber-fan credentials have been shredded, haven't they?  ;)  :)

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2010, 13:37

@ nightspore: where is that quote from? I'm too lazy to Google it up. :D Anyway, as I said above, anything he does with the Tele I'm more than happy with. As I said in another topic, it's not the guitar that matters. It's the player.

@ Tubular Trekkie: HR Original Mix, Part II, halfway during the thunderstorm: click-click-click-click, click-click-click-click, click-click-click-click, click-click-click-click, click-click-click-click, click-click-click-click, click-click-click-click... that's the spoons. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2010, 15:16

Speaking of prog-type albums, has anyone heard the most recent Mastodon album Crack the Skye? I just bought it, and I think it's my favorite prog rock/metal album of the last year.

Sorry, anyways I seriously doubt we'll have any more prog from MO anytime soon... unless it's TB IV... :O
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2010, 19:53

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 06 2010, 13:37)
@ nightspore: where is that quote from? I'm too lazy to Google it up. :D Anyway, as I said above, anything he does with the Tele I'm more than happy with. As I said in another topic, it's not the guitar that matters. It's the player.

Hi Ugo, I just made the words up. They're to be sung, of course, to the melody of "Nothing But"!  :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2010, 19:56

Quote (Syd B @ Mar. 06 2010, 15:16)
Sorry, anyways I seriously doubt we'll have any more prog from MO anytime soon... unless it's TB IV... :O

Someone should draw Fanny's attention to that brilliant cover Ghost Mojo created for Tubular Bells IV some time ago. I'm sure if that were drawn to Mr O's attention it would set the creative bells ringing!
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 06 2010, 21:31

A new album fantastic always hoped MOTS was not his swansong a good album sure but in no way a division bell .
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 02:24

Reality check. Even if a guy like MO abandons music and is 56, sailing his golden years out there........you would expect him to have a git. It's like, if you've been playing your whole life, you feel naked without some instrument, even if you never intend to return to it proffessionally. I hope I'm wrong, but I think ya'll need to set your expectation levels down 2 or 3 settings. I think Fan made a reference to a studio, but I'm a guy who sees things realistically. I give it one chance in 10 that he will do one more. On the other hand he's a prankster. You never know. That thing with the bucket of vinegar he used on Branson in '74 was funny. But he better hurry, if he's serious. I smoke and drink for 30+ years. If I make 56 it's a godamn miracle. I'm just saying, the Fan thing is cool but don't start thinking up album names yet. And MO "covering" other band's songs, forget it. I know this guy(not personally), but if he goes out with one more recording, he will go out in a blaze of original glory. You can quote me on that if and when it happens. One telecaster does not an album make.....yet we are dealing with a guy who can make a studio with a finger snap. I suppose thats a positive note to leave on.
    In my own world, I've moved all my gits, mixers, synths, etc. to my new clean dwelling. Given my speed at organizing it all(and what still works), I may start composing again. I had an agenda, to make a one hour CD by age 50. I don't think that's realistic now. I'll be 49 in August. If I can train my dog(Eddy) to not be so emotionally needy, I might acheive that goal by 51 or 52. Pray for this toobs. I want it. But the truth is.....Eddy(don't ask me why) seems more important. I will never deny him affection. If he ever slams me in the leg with a rubber froggy, I will defer to that and play with him. I have never seen a human give that quality of affection. And yes indeed I've had my fair share of women(not lately, I got old) Ya'll be cool.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 11:20

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 06 2010, 18:37)
@ Tubular Trekkie: HR Original Mix, Part II, halfway during the thunderstorm: click-click-click-click, click-click-click-click, click-click-click-click, click-click-click-click, click-click-click-click, click-click-click-click, click-click-click-click... that's the spoons. :D

Ah, is this what we're going to get on the re-release(s) I wonder?

--------------

Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 11:38

Good luck Jim, and here's to you making some music. ;)
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 12:08

Syd, you must like wind.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 12:34

Quote (Scatterplot @ Mar. 07 2010, 12:08)
Syd, you must like wind.

If you really wanna know, click here
Profile PM 
33 replies since Mar. 05 2010, 05:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net