Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: International Bell Day at the O2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 25 2009, 16:49

To celebrate the re-release of Tubular Bells, Mercury Records is holding a special event on June 6th at the British Music Experience at the O2 in London.

The event will feature the 29 piece Handbell Ringers of Great Britain and an Orbular Bells DJ set by The Orb.

There will also be bell ringing workshops, competitions and more!

The event will be from 2 until 6pm and admission is £15 for adults, £12 concessions and children go free (details in the press release).

Update (29th May): Download the press release
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 25 2009, 16:56

I'd rather go and see Mike Oldfield !  :zzz:
Profile PM 
GodGift Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: May 25 2009, 17:17

Hmmm... I'm a bit confused:P When this event will be happening? Just one day or from now? Website says the BME is already open.

--------------
What a lovely day!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 25 2009, 17:28

Good call, GodGift - it's on June 6th, part of the whole International Bell Day thing.
Profile PM 
BlueTape Offline

Posted: May 25 2009, 20:11

I hope they can do something alittle more down the line with Mikes music, must drive Mike mad with being known for bells, as us fan's know, he has so much more to offer newer fans with any other work than the groundbreaking tubular bells (my little rant over!;) and I love Tubular bells but please ..down the line i'd love something like Incantations, or Five miles out or something, just to show the hard work of Mike's not put to waste! and something us, the fans can enjoy even more!

--------------
my music website
www.bluetape.co.uk
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 25 2009, 21:47

Quote (BlueTape @ May 26 2009, 00:11)
..down the line i'd love something like Incantations, or Five miles out or something, just to show the hard work of Mike's not put to waste! and something us, the fans can enjoy even more!

They're working in chronological order - Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn will come next, then Incantations after that. I don't know precisely what the time scale is, but I would say it'll be a while before we see Five Miles Out back on the shelves as a Mercury-issued CD.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 26 2009, 00:05

I've decided to join the chorus and come here, on a site called tubular.net, whose logo is a tubular bell bent in three places, to complain that Mike Oldfield is more than just tubular bells. :D

Sorry to be provocative, guys, but, sheesh, as long as people are hearing about Mike Oldfield in some way, bang those bells away! Let's make some noise for the man.

(the closest thing to a tubular bell in my reach is a fire extinguisher placed close to the room where I work in -- it produces a beautiful F sharp ring, but I don't go there on Saturdays...)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: May 26 2009, 03:46

Sounds like a good event for Orb fans, but not for Mike Oldfield fans. (Unless they happen to be Orb fans too of course)

[Image of O' level venn diagram question forming in my mind]

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Posted: May 26 2009, 06:19

Quote (clotty @ May 26 2009, 03:46)
Sounds like a good event for Orb fans, but not for Mike Oldfield fans. (Unless they happen to be Orb fans too of course)

Images of vampires sucking the blood and the soul out of TB forming in my mind.
I like better how Bob Dylan handles this, he records disastrous harmonica versions of his songs but then the others interpret them well.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: May 26 2009, 06:27

Sounds sort of intriguing.

But... It also sounds rather, well, bellsy and not exactly in an Oldfield kind of way, if that makes any sense. Might be a fun diversion if you were already planning a day out at the BME, perhaps not otherwise.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 26 2009, 06:29

Let's all stop moaning, and be greatfull that his current record label are interested in doing something for Mike, unlike his previous record companies, who didn't make the most of having such a unique artist.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 26 2009, 06:43

At least they're doing something to promote the re-release...

...even if Mike himself prefers to keep away from it at this moment.(and continue to enjoy his days in the Bahamas).

I'd go if I was there,with or without the bell boy ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 26 2009, 06:58

Quote (Olivier @ May 26 2009, 11:19)
Quote (clotty @ May 26 2009, 03:46)

Images of vampires sucking the blood and the soul out of TB forming in my mind.
I like better how Bob Dylan handles this, he records disastrous harmonica versions of his songs but then the others interpret them well.

Funnily enough The Orb`s most famous track Little Fluffy Clouds used a sample of Ennio Morricone`s Man With A Harmonica.. :p

I don`t know it`s been a long time since I listened to The Orb,I was`nt aware they were still going..They`ve done a fair amount of stuff with Steve Hillage,Mike`s favourite guitarist of course.   ;) Be interesting if he`s involved that`s for sure.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: May 26 2009, 07:06

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ May 26 2009, 11:43)
I'd go if I was there,with or without the bell boy ;)

*Conjures image of MO dressed as a bellhop*
"Welcome to the Tubular Bell Hotel, can I take your luggage?"

:laugh:

That would be fun!  ;)

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 26 2009, 07:12

The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld is an absolutely, dumbfoundingly AMAZING album. I haven't heard anything else by them (him), though; are they (he) still that good? If yes, then I see no reason to be afraid of the event.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 26 2009, 08:31

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 26 2009, 07:12)
The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld is an absolutely, dumbfoundingly AMAZING album. I haven't heard anything else by them (him), though; are they (he) still that good? If yes, then I see no reason to be afraid of the event.

The Orb is basically Alex Patterson though he's had a lot of collaborators over the years most notably Steve Hillage, Youth, Guy Pratt and Jimmy Cauty from the KLF, all four of whom did quite a bit of work with Patterson on the Ultra World album.

The second Orb album UFOrb is mostly recognised as their best. I would definitely say the track Blue Room on the album is along with the KLF's Chill Out album the greatest single piece of ambient music anyone's ever done, its total genius.

Its a shame they did such a half arsed effort remixing TB2 in 1992 but I guess they decided to try and do something less than predictable with it. It'll be cool to see what Alex Patterson does for this TB day in June, hopefully something interesting. This bell ringing workshop sounds more than just faintly surreal to be honest. Could they not have come up with something slightly more profound? Just as Mike's career is more than just about Tubular Bells so Tubular Bells is more than just about that instrument.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 26 2009, 10:16

A collaboraton with The Orb is quite cool, and not out of place really. I like the link here - reminds me of MO.

The Orb Towers of Dub

With "Little Fluffy Clouds,"  I like the way the girl stumbles her words a bit with the narration;

The Orb Little Fluffy Clouds

"...it, they were beautiful,
 the most beautiful skies - as a matter of fact.
... you don't see that..." :cool:

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 26 2009, 11:09

Towers Of Dub is probably my favourite track by them Wiga,great piece of music..

The girly voice on Little Fluffy Clouds is that of Rikki Lee Jones from an interview she did.Apparently she was`nt pleased they did`nt ask her permission to use it,and sued them I think.Interestingly along with the Morricone sample I mentioned earlier,there`s also a sample from a piece by Steve Reich.Another kind of Oldfieldian connection perhaps?Unlike Rikki Lee Jones,Reich was supposedly flattered by the "sampling" of his work.

Strangely the two albums mentioned in this thread so far,are the only two albums I have by them UfOrb and Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld.It`s been a long while since I`ve listened to them though,I may have to dig them back out again.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: May 26 2009, 11:19

I, for one, am dead excited about The Orb doing something. I'm a big fan:) Their recent albums are stunning, I'd recommend 'Oki Dokie it's The Orb'. I finish my last exam at University on June 1st so I'm free to go, let's see if I can afford it!

Infact I've been trying to find an Orb track in which they sampled a guitar riff from Incantations. I heard it on Radio 1 about 10 or 11 years ago. I've got stacks of Orb CDs and I still haven't found it. Somebody told me recently that apparently Oldfield banned it cos he didn't like it! Anyone got any ideas?

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 26 2009, 15:29

Quote (hairy old hippy @ May 26 2009, 11:19)
Somebody told me recently that apparently Oldfield banned it cos he didn't like it! Anyone got any ideas?

That's highly unlikely. The decision of whether or not to license a sample of any given piece of music is almost always with the record label and I'm sure with Mike its with his record label. I'm sure if he'd had a say he wouldn't have chosen to allow some of the more dreadful TB samples that people have used over the years. He certainly had no say of whether or not TB could be used in the Exorcist.

These things are usually all about money. Its probable that The Orb sampled Incantations and then approached Virgin for permission only for Virgin turn round and ask for money. That usually stops a track dead in its tracks from my experience with friends who are in various bands. Quite often a record label will allow a sample to be used simply because if the track its used in becomes successful then the original sampled piece of music will see its sales increase. And infact its not unknown for well known bands and DJ's to be approached by the copy right owners of some old long forgotten piece of music who actually actively want it sampled so as to see its sales increase. I think I read that happened with Lemon Jelly.  

I heard recently that Laim Howlett of the Prodigy tried to sample Michael Jackson's Thriller and was shocked to learn upon approaching Jackson for permission that Jackson didn't have a say as to whether or not he could. Weirdly MJ doesn't own the rights to Thriller at all and apparently never has done.
Profile PM 
104 replies since May 25 2009, 16:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net