Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Auctions at mikeoldfield.com< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 21 2004, 09:30

An auctions area has been added to mikeoldfield.com, with categories for selling all manner of items. The only request is that items should be "related to Mike and Music".
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 21 2004, 15:15

It all seems a bit well...weird to me. On the one hand I'm all for Mike doing anything that could be seen as supportive of what his fans want or need but like MusicVR.com it all seems a bit late in the day. Then again if Mike plans on selling more of his old instruments off and any other interesting memorabilia then I suppose this gives him an easy platform from which to do it. Still it does seem a bit strange. I wonder how popular it will prove to be?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2004, 17:22

What does really lead him to open an auctions part on his webbie? Demand?

Of course,there are people who like this kind of thing,but it can be also a problem if there's no control on the things they're auctioning,like bootlegs(seems to me that anyone can go there and create an auction,not just Mike or Fanny).

Strange,strange,strange really...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2004, 18:00

But they don't have a furry bell logo to go with it do they?

Financially, £30 for a cd isn't going to make a huge difference to Mike's overdraft, but then he does have an unlimited supply of signatures. And a strange choice of CD, considering that most visitors to his site will already own about 14 versions anyway, or will have purchased Fanny's poster.
Now, if he (or admin) had put up a signed tour programme, I might have been interested.

My last thoughts are that the dedicated collector is more likely to want to swap than make money from each other.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2004, 13:12

I don't get it... is he short on money or something?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2004, 13:41

I must admit it does look like that but then again if he starts producing merchandise that we all might actualy want then cool, go for it. A nice big poster of Crises might be nice or TB or any of the other good album covers, I'd buy one, especialy signed. Do you think he's going to start producing these things? He might if he reads this I guess.

I really don't know how the whole auctioning thing works, is it moderated by anyone? Are there lots of fans desperate to part with their collections? As OlracUK says I'd sooner swap stuff and anyway since Mike never releases any rareties all the stuff I'm interested in getting my hands are illegal bootlegs of interesting live recordings, out takes etc. Do you think he'll let fans trade those? The answers obvious.
Profile PM 
liron
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 25 2004, 11:37

i was rolling with loughter when i saw this thing, oh you have no idea... this guy has no limits... i have a suggestion for your next album miki - call it "tubular ebay".
but i don't blame him - with the amount of records that he sells he should be deep into the pawn shop buissness. that's what happens when you beat up a dead corpse with the shape of a bell for over 30 years. what a disgrace... the old miki is indeed putting to shame the young one. and i even start to wonder how much dignity was in the younger version to start with. i took a glance at tubular bells 2003 - which for all of you's guys is old news already - but for me... i prefered to avoid it so far. so i took a look at the inside notes. and i wasn't surprised to see the full listing of all mechanical equipment used for the recording of the album. that's old news - the guy is so informative when it comes to showing off and retaining the "oh-i-play-all-my-instruments-by-myself" battered agenda. but this time he was also ever so kind as to list down the mixer desk, the microphones, the PL cables, the DC plug, his electricity bill and grocery list ("oh and did i mention i buy my own groceries as well as play all the instruments? i even take my baths all by myself!"). amazing. by the looks of it his next album will come with a manual handbook for the young studio technican. get a grip on yourself old man, and loosen the grip on your toys.

when i read your replies to the ebay pharse i can't really understand what the hell is it that you guys seem to miss. the general reply reads "did somebody fart or am i the only one who smell this light pickled cabage aroma coming from the direction of miki?". well - i'll inform you once again as i do every once in awhile - miki has stopped farting long ago, miki's far into producing brownies these days. just be careful he doesn't land one on your head.

"the mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it, the mark of a sell-out is to record one album and repeat it"
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2004, 08:11

We all harp on to Mike about doing things for his fans, but when he does do something we say it's 'weird'. OK, it was the last thing most of us expected in terms of fan involvement, but calling it 'strange' isn't really going to encourage him, is it?

Oh, and liron, I've read your post several times and I still can't work out what you are actually trying to say. You certainly seem very cynical, but what is "the old miki is indeed putting to shame the young one" supposed to mean? And what's with the farts thing at the end? I can't understand what you think these repilies have missed either. A little clarification would be nice, thanks.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2004, 12:59

I think its fair to only pass judgement on the idea only after seeing how it works. If Mike does indeed start producing merchandise to sell then cool, especialy if its interesting stuff. It won't be so cool to just fill it with signed copies of TB. Also remember its for the fans to use too, but again I just don't know how popular it will prove to be. Maybe its just me but I do get the inceasing feeling that people are just loosing interest in Mike. I think he needs some sort of spark to re-ignite everyone's enthusiasm.
Profile PM 
liron Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2004, 18:36

hey toby boy, how's it doin' long time no see (well i was off for a better sonic reality than this one for quite a long time now, and i just came back to see what some of the people were thinking, and also for my own amusment and sheer nostalgia).
so what have you got to say about TB 2003 after the long debate we had about it last year? what was your end decision on the subject? (and please try not to be over cautious with your reply - for better or for worse). i myself thought it was a bad joke in bad taste. but this time i didn't even bothered, and just dismissed it with a "hmmppff...". well what can you do really - if the guy wants to recycle his album ad nauseum than there's no one who can stop him. except for the forces of the free market. with that one you were right my lad - if something will bring an end to this it's the fact that you have a good hunch about the people loosing interest in 'ol miki.
miki the boy wonder...
off went the boy and what stayed was just the wonder. (oh, and that's what i ment when i said that the old miki is indeed putting to shame the young one. which is a bit odd to explain - 'cause the phrase is self explanatory as far as i can read it).

well toby... you think he needs a spark to re-ignite everyones enthusiasm? i think he lost some sparks on and off. and i think he's in a desperate need for a personality transplant. everytime i see his face in interviews done on tv or what not it's getting worse. i'm thinking to myself "does this guy really think, or does he go on watching star trek, playing video games with dolphins and buy extraodinarily expensive CGI equipment he doesn't have the slightest clue how to opperate. for that matter i could only give the example of the latest catastrophe put out in the form of TB 2003 DVD. this piece of crap looked like a cross breed of a wedding video done in the 80's and  a 'getty images' show reel. oh, and less we forget the 3D (!!!) bell. ooooh! i'm impressed.

to conclude i will only say that it's a shame the guy doesn't know when to quit. or at least have a sense of measure. or at least have some decensy. or at least be less pretentious. or at least be less extravagant and extra-vacant. this bell wouldn't save his day anymore. computer games done poorly with the imagination of an ant wouldn't do it also, and selling autographed cd's is not the answer. maybe it's time to just read a good book miki? maybe take a course in the nearest university (no zen-budhizm and/or engineering - please!)? how about letting out some hot air? how about trying to stop change the face of musical civilization and just concentrate on music?
you know what? maybe you should just do what you're good at and become a Roland marketing startegist? it's ok. not too bad. but please - have mercy and put the bell to sleep.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 28 2004, 09:08

Well, you know, I don't see anything too bad in the auctions site at the moment, though much depends on how well it's managed.

It's a little bizarre though, that they close the forum down after abuse, but yet feel that it's safe to open an auctions site where there's potential for far more serious kinds of abuse.

I very much doubt Mike's doing it to make serious money, but it could well help to support the website. I know that commercial operations are often looked upon with disdain around these parts, but the fact is that websites do cost money to run. I'm actually less concerned with the fact that he's taking money (he's been doing that for years after all, through CD and concert ticket sales) and more concerned with what fans get once they've parted with their cash (or rather, once they've electronically transferred their money to him).

I do also think it's a shame that there's not more recognition of the support that many fans have given him over the past 31 years, in buying all his albums and providing him with the wherewithal to be able to embark on Music VR. As it stands, if you don't want Music VR, he's not interested in you...and even then...
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2004, 16:42

Personaly I just can't see it being that popular. I just don't think there are enough fans who A) want to part with any of their collection and B) even if there are I don't think they'll use this method of selling it. I mean if wanted to sell any of my collectable Mike stuff I'd do it on ebay where I'd probably get more of a market.
It did dawn on me that after Mike sold that guitar recently he maybe thought 'I know, i've got lots more stuff to sell so why don't I do it via my site'. We'll just have to wait and see what appears on it. It just seems like a weird thing to put effort into. Out of all the things his fans have asked him to do he goes and does this and at such a late time of the day.

Hi Liron, glad you've joined us again. I must say the cynical part of me agrees largely with what you're saying. The fact is now my relationship with Mike's music is now one of liking what I like and not bothering at all with what I don't. This whole attitude of some fans (including me in the past) of 'you must apreciate it because its Mike' is now long gone for me. He's writen and performed some incredible music over the years (largely between 1973 and 78) which I love dearly but now for me there's other artists out there way, way better than him (now) who are getting my attentions.

I love what I love about Mike and try and ignore all the bullshit. I still think he's an interesting person which is why I'll continue to see what he does next.
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2004, 19:42

ive got a few old concert programes and stuff.

feel there are bigger fans here who may enjoy them more than me, dont want money just postage ect.

oh and an old QE2 concert shirt but think the wash and ware have seen the best of that..it is old  :D

pm me.Bevy
Profile PM 
12 replies since Sep. 21 2004, 09:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net