Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Whatever happened to mike oldfield???< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
glenponder Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 31 2005, 14:04

I remember him making music that was fresh an original.but ever since Songs Of Distant Earth he's been recyclin the same old tunes and samples over and over again.I think the problem is he's spending too much time fiddling on pc's,he should get back to how he used to make music,maybe get a band together and record using real intruments and go on tour(unplugged style).Just heard samples from his recent album and again it sounds like music used on the ceefax pages that would send even Vangelis to sleep.I dont want to sound negative but since 1994 my intrest seems to have faded and i was one of the fans that would buy everything released by mike.

glen eyre
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2005, 14:15

I feel that after 1994 he certainly made a lot of albums that are worth it, like Voyager or Guitars. No 'pc-fiddling' there, I can assure you! Also, give TBIII a go. You might like it. :O
But I see it's your first message, so welcome!

To all other members:
"Guys, has he had the 'rag procedure' yet that all new members have to go through??? (like drinking 20 bottles of beer and then have to sing Islands backwards, humm the national anthem hanging upside down, and walking all the way to Reading without shoes?)"
:p

If you fulfil that, then you can enter :)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2005, 15:41

:) yes, and you have to make up a lemon based drink! And preferably debate hotly on the nature of sandwiches!

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2005, 15:54

Quote (arron11196 @ Oct. 31 2005, 15:41)
:) yes, and you have to make up a lemon based drink! And preferably debate hotly on the nature of sandwiches!

Thanks for remembering, I forgot that one :)

;)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
glenponder Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2005, 16:21

I did buy TBIII,voyager,guitars and got as far as millennium.and most of those albums (millennium especially)just sounded like some amature who has tried to copy mikes style.Im not expecting another crises or amarok but the recent albums havent been half as good.Anyway theres always hope cos he really is a genius and we'll always have the fantastic back catalogue to drool over.

ever in hope
glen eyre
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 31 2005, 16:36

my favorite album is Songs Of Distant Earths, Tb III, tb orginal, tb 2003, ommadawn, amarok, tres lunas (everything about it, mvr, and stuff), crises, so for me mike haven't fade out.
If Light and shade had included -> pres de toi, Lakme and cook's tune it would be on my top 10 actually. Im not looking for the best guitar solos, technic, ect ect, im looking for mood.
That's what mike gives me, and that's why his my favorite and still not fades out!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2005, 17:03

we should all learn to embrace technology and be willing to go forward.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 16:19

Quote (Tubularman @ Oct. 31 2005, 21:36)
...If Light and shade had included -> pres de toi, Lakme and cook's tune

Those songs are on my album of light and shade well not cooks tune, but pres de toi and lakme. I have a special edition, does that make any diffrence?

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Marky Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 20:52

Quote (glenponder @ Oct. 31 2005, 19:04)
it sounds like music used on the ceefax pages that would send even Vangelis to sleep.

I am very familiar with Vangelis, but come on, given how his music sounds, he surely doesn't sleep at all...
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2005, 06:17

I'm not quite sure I understand, Marky. What do you mean?

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
glenponder Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2005, 09:47

Yes i think i was being a bit harsh to vangelis there.I love his albums,especially SPIRAL and THE CITY.Even vangelis has made some below average albums but he's never (as far as i'm aware) repeated himself.Your always gonna get fans who say they love everything ever done by mike,but is there anyone out there who agrees with me about the past few albums??.
Profile PM 
Miguel Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 00:01

Quote (glenponder @ Nov. 12 2005, 09:47)
...Your always gonna get fans who say they love everything ever done by mike,but is there anyone out there who agrees with me about the past few albums??.

I fell the same indeed... :/
For many many years Mike was my favorit musician/composer. Now, even if i still love some of the songs included in is latest albuns, it seems very clear to me that he is getting worst and lazy on these days. Disco beats,very repetitive themes, fake voices and instruments, playback and many unbelievable mistakes on live performances are also something sad and strange to see...

If i had to choose the album of my life, that one would be TB! I'm still crazy about it after all this years...that IS music to my ears!!
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 09:24

In answer to the question posed...Mike Oldfield is a painter and decorator in Leeds these days!!  ;)

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 16:24

Quote (Ratty @ Nov. 15 2005, 09:24)
In answer to the question posed...Mike Oldfield is a painter and decorator in Leeds these days!!  ;)
Still an artist then!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 17:01

I just did the Top 10 poll and I had 5 albums from the 70's and 5 from the 90's, so if I said he was going downhill, I would date it in the naughties (00's, that's what we call it here, it is called that over there too? It should be spelt with an 'o' but I was being naughty! !;) )Only Tres Lunas and L&S have inspired me to wonder if that could be true, I still like them though, but I forgive him because he gave us TB2003.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 17:15

He picked up his back of secrets ,and visited various stlyles and trends.Perhaps one day he,ll return or carry on his musical journey!
Profile PM 
Tubular Freddie Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2005, 18:04

Quote (glenponder @ Oct. 31 2005, 14:04)
I remember him making music that was fresh an original.but ever since Songs Of Distant Earth he's been recyclin the same old tunes and samples over and over again.I think the problem is he's spending too much time fiddling on pc's,he should get back to how he used to make music,maybe get a band together and record using real intruments and go on tour(unplugged style).Just heard samples from his recent album and again it sounds like music used on the ceefax pages that would send even Vangelis to sleep.I dont want to sound negative but since 1994 my intrest seems to have faded and i was one of the fans that would buy everything released by mike.

glen eyre

I agree.:/
Ever since "Distant Earth" Mike seem to have been struggeling to get a proper album in shape.
"Voyager", "Mont St Michel", "Top of the morning", "Enigmatism", "Pacha Mama", "To be free" and "Surfing" + "Sunset" = Great songs, but on the whole the albums, according to me, doesn´t reach the same level as "Distant Earth".

In a recent interview Mike himself said something like
" I don´t know if I´m going to do something musically incredible in the coming years. I feel like I´ve done enough".

Seems like he´s quite satisfied with what he´s doing. But with that attitude, perhaps we won´t hear him pushing the musical limits as he did
1973 - 94.  But I hope I´m wrong !

:)  :)

--------------
"Going on means going far. Going far means returning "

Dao Te Ching
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2005, 03:24

Quote (Tubular Freddie @ Nov. 16 2005, 23:04)
Ever since "Distant Earth" Mike seem to have been struggling to get a proper album in shape.

But as I've said so often, this statement entirely disregards the massive achievement of Music VR. If you take in the whole picture, including the Tr3sLunas album and the computer programs together - the idea that Mike has been 'struggling' in the way you suggest simply doesn't hold up.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2005, 05:37

Alan, I think the reason why you have to keep making that arguement over again is that most people (myself included) consider Mike primarily a musician who makes albums, and we judge him based on his albums. Many haven't ever played Music VR (again, myself included), and so are judging Tres Lunas simply as another album. I can understand why you don't think this is fair, but it's an unfortunate fact. In my view the game has very little to do with any opinion on Tres Lunas the album, as they are two separate entities.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2005, 06:39

Quote (raven4x4x @ Nov. 17 2005, 10:37)
I can understand why you don't think this is fair, but it's an unfortunate fact. In my view the game has very little to do with any opinion on Tres Lunas the album, as they are two separate entities.

It's not a question of fairness, Alex, so much as one of accuracy. What I was trying to dispel was the idea that Mike has been 'struggling'  - when actually his achievement has been enormous. If you're only willing to look at part of an artist's achievement you can't get an accurate picture of the whole.

It's like trying to assess the performance of an all-rounder in cricket by looking only at his bowling figures and insisting that the batting has nothing to do with it. (My whole point revolves around the fact that in my own experience, the game has a great deal to do with the way the album is perceived - but you do of course need to have experienced the game in order to see that.)
Profile PM 
28 replies since Oct. 31 2005, 14:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net