Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A Strange Album?, Islands< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 31 2015, 08:04

I haven't heard half of Mike's output yet, but I've come back to Islands quite a bit as it is so good, but do you think it's an odd album? I refer mainly to Wind Chimes, which changes tempo a lot after what seem like short snippets of great music. No criticism as I love it, but I wonder how he came to compose such a piece of music? The construction is very eccentric.

--------------
Dancing the Entropy Tango
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: July 31 2015, 16:32

Brace yourself for Amarok and Music from the balcony! All joking aside, perhaps there's a pattern here. Mike's music seems to have gotten mellower after the Virgin era ending in 1991.
Profile PM 
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2015, 03:22

Quote (qcfoetus @ July 31 2015, 16:32)
Brace yourself for Amarok and Music from the balcony! All joking aside, perhaps there's a pattern here. Mike's music seems to have gotten mellower after the Virgin era ending in 1991.

I'm not far from reaching Amarok now, but I've been mostly exploring all the different Tubular Bells recordings, including II and III.

--------------
Dancing the Entropy Tango
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 05 2015, 10:13

Quote (Dr Bogenbroom @ July 31 2015, 08:04)
No criticism as I love it, but I wonder how he came to compose such a piece of music? The construction is very eccentric.

It may have something to do with the "multimedia" aspect of the album, as it was released in VHS with lots of computer-generated visuals and whatnot. I've never watched the whole video, but I figure it would be more visually interesting if the music was very dynamic with several radical changes. As it has been mentioned, the trend was carried forth to Amarok and Music from the Balcony, so I guess Mike liked the style and found it worthwhile to explore it further (thankfully! ).

What I find the oddest about this record is the production; all airy, slick and metallic; very, very 80's. Also, it's notorious for me personally, as it has my least favourite Mike Oldfield song of all time (Magic Touch). But I really dig Flying Start.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
sEIGu Offline

Posted: May 18 2016, 09:54

Everything was very "Fairlight" that days. The video to "the wind chimes" was done complete on the Fairlight CVI. :)

--------------
sEIGu
Profile PM 
4 replies since July 31 2015, 08:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net