Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (11) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Quotable TubularBoard, (the joy of quoting out of context)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 12 2007, 05:13

My wife likes some Oldfield, but not all. The first time I put Amarok on for her she said "turn that bl00dy racket off". I said "ok, just let me listen to this track!" hehehe - CuNimb

Oh, now I get it! I'm just not used to people having a sense of humour. I get to hear comments like that with no irony intended all the time. - larstangmark

How any listens does it take to 'get into this'? I ask because it could be absolutley great - but at the moment it is not...... MusicToTheRescue

yesterday I saw Incantations describes as 'simple' and today it's Ommadawn's turn.  Am I surrounded by rocket scientists and brain surgeons?!?! - familyjules

please Mike! make what YOU want to make! MAKE MAKE :p and we TAKE TAKE - Tubularman

Not sure I can find a particularly good reason for buying Orchestral Tubular Bells, except that it's there. - Alan D

I especially like the "Eea eea". Just lovely how it goes! Eea eea eea (lower chord) eea eea eaa (same chord) eea eea eaa (and a lovely higer chord!;) Eea! Eea! Eea! Eea! I will be singing Eea for the rest of my life! - Blue Dolphin

Is this just a made up thing,or do those words mean somthing in any language? - qjamesfloyd

I don't think there are any words in Music From The Balcony at all. In fact, the song is so aggressive and antagonic, I wouldn't be surprised if Mike inserted a bunch of anti-words somewhere inbetween the instruments. I don't think it says anything. Will you stop being so obsessed with swear words? - Sir Mustapha

release date is 5th November !!!! Thats AGES !!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE'LL NEED THE PATIENCE OF A SAINT !!!! - HuanCry

Hergest ridge 'came out on top' so surely that is the orgasmic album - The Bell(end)

You did a very BAD JOB on this thread!!!!!!!!  :( - Piltdownboy on horseback 22

Do you think maybe you could expand on such a detailed and balanced analysis, and perhaps tell us WHY you think it's really bad? - ImAFoolAndImLaughing

TSODE reeks of mike - bugular tell

where's the sun?!? We've got moons and spaceships and stars and planets galore but where is the light coming from?!?! - MusicallyInspired

I can surely forgive Mike for his mistakes, it's just it HAD to be in Ommadawn.. I'd rather 432 mistakes in Tubular Bells - OneGeneratuonTooLate

Of course, it could be said that the music of the spheres is a load of balls, but that would just be sinking to an all time low. - Korgscrew

Maybe Mike Oldfield is a Romantic wolf in a postmodern sheep's clothing? - Alan D

But you're not saying he looks particularly great on the Incantations cover, are you? I laughed so hard when, a long time ago, Carsten Kuss (was it him?) said, "The Incantations cover shows Jean Michel Jarre. Don't you know that? Everybody knows that!" - Holger

It wasnt that bad.  Go get stung and see how bad it isnt.  ER... better check you're not allergic first. - Ray

Acoustic egg cartons rock. I remember when i was about 13 kitting my bedroom out in them so I could play my guitar loud 'Did it work..no...' But they still rock - bevy

if i play them some songs they always says how its boring :( No,they are boring and blind! Tehno,rep and other crap destroyed there heads! - Iksion

Nice quiz question, there: "What do Mike Oldfield's 'Cook's Tune', a pogo stick, and a trampoline have in common?" - Alan D

I don't know where this fear of moths came from - moonchildhippy

the entity behind the screen might not even be human. Yesterday, one of my dogs was on my laptop. Literally. She flat-screened the thing and was doing weird things in my hotmail account while we were at a science fair. Unless it was the cat. - Inkanta

there's nothing wrong with the Voyager cover! - Ebony

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2007, 15:32

Quotes by Sweatpea (just to balance things up a bit):

1. About Amarok:

Whenever I get to the big climax at 50:24 I get such an urge to shout "W00T!!" and start a 'wave' (yes, I'm a nerd) - unfortunately, that doesn't work very well with one person.

2. About her slight preference for Tr3s Lunas:

Wow! *kisses Tres Lunas* Wow wow wow.

3. About Music VR and road safety:

put me on a pink guitar, and WATCH OUT.

4. About the importance of moderation for a Mike Oldfield fan:

it would be a small matter to build a little MO shrine
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2007, 02:18

I am indebted to you, Alan D, for not including my most embarrassing moments. ;)

Is there some sort of technical meaning to "grooving" that I cannot find? - hiawatha

alls i know is that i can put in Tubular Bells, flip on my two black lights, and stare at the awesome blacklight posters and lava lamps in my room and get totally psyched out, without even being high. - tubularbills

many, many yrs ago I got so carried away with that riff in part IV I ended up with a knee injury - Inkanta

If your so called friends don't like 'On Horseback' then obviously they're the wrong friends. I would say ditch them all and get new ones. - TOBY

Looking at some of the definitions, I'm wondering if there's much difference between a 'geek' and a 'musician' these days...But has Mike, by embracing software development, taken a step closer towards total geekness? - Korgscrew

You're being very provocative here mister!!!!! - Piltdownboy on horseback 22

geeks are cool, in a roundabout unfortunately ironic labelling kinda way. - Man In The rain

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2007, 10:45

Quote (Sweatpea @ Aug. 13 2007, 07:18)
I am indebted to you, Alan D, for not including my most embarrassing moments.

I don't think I've seen those, Sweatpea.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2007, 11:55

WELL!!! Where are my notable quotes, Mmmmmm?!

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2007, 13:06

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 13 2007, 11:55)
WELL!!! Where are my notable quotes, Mmmmmm?!

I expect they'll make an appearance eventually, TubularBelle. In the meantime, you're welcome to contribute your favorite quotes.

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2007, 00:29

Would love to but that would mean dragging myself away from You Tube and job hunting, which I do much less off than I should be doing, but this is a great topic. I love quotes.

It reminds me of a favourite not from here that I may have mentioned before when a Big Brother contestant was trying to get a word in with a loud mouthed constantly talking contestant and he said, 'Trying to talk to you is like throwing fairy floss into the wind'.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2007, 14:01

Could it be he made Earth Moving so bland in order to emphasize Amarok? Perhaps Mike's shrewder than we thought. - ImAFoolAndImLaughing

I wish I could tell you that there was deep meaning behind my username. However, it is simply that ever since I had thrombosis about 14 years ago, a good friend of mine has called me Clotty - Clotty

Mine is a smutty pun on my name and testicles.  It has nothing to do with Mike Oldfield at all.  Unless he likes smutty puns about testicles. - familyjules

you have spotted the difference between Dutch and British humour well there, because of course, in Britain we have to press someone's nose rather than pull their finger - Clotty

when that Wagner chap gets Brunnhilde to ride into the flames at the end of Gotterdammerung and redeem the world - wow, what a hoot! And there's nothing like a good Sibelius symphony to get the old chuckles chortling. Yeah, these old guys really knew how to plant a good joke. - Alan D

In OZ we most definitely pull fingers!!!!!!!!!!!!! - TubularBelle

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2007, 17:47

More Sweatpea quotes:

1. On how to survive on Tubular.net (?):

I have a pretty high tolerance for silliness.

2. Famous last words about Mike Oldfield's albums (yeah, we've all been there...):

I'm not really sure I need to have all of them.
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2007, 17:47

Forget Pop-Stardom, Footballer's-Wifedom, BigBrother-MakeATitOfYourselfdom, You know you've really made it, when you appear on Sweatpea's Quotable Quotes Thread!

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 02:07

Alan D, I now feel a bit silly about the 'I don't need 'em all' thing. Since I don't recall if I made a follow-up post, I should reveal that since then I've gotten four or five more MO albums (bringing my collection to twenty-four, including compilations), and I'm even contemplating trying to get a hold of a copy of Orchestral Tubular Bells (just 'cause it's there, mind) and The Killing Fields. In fact, I should also try and watch that movie one of these days. And, of course, I am grateful for your gentle nudging at the time. :)

Tony, I've been meaning to ask this for a while and I suppose now is as good a time as any... where is your signature from?

--------------
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 02:31

Speaking of signatures, where did yours come from?
Quote (Sweatpea @ Aug. 16 2007, 16:07)
"what solo are u guys talking about?" - Lightspeed
"the one that goes diddlydiddlydiddlydiddly" - Korgscrew

Where was this said, and which track it was about? :D

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 02:37

Moz, that quote is from QE2's Guitar solo... Wow!. I've been tempted to change my sig a couple of times, but I'm pretty attached to this one - it still makes me chuckle.

--------------
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 03:50

Quote (Sweatpea @ Aug. 16 2007, 02:07)
Tony, I've been meaning to ask this for a while and I suppose now is as good a time as any... where is your signature from?

Its a (slightly cut down version of a) bit of lyrical bewilderness from Philip Glass' Einstein On The Beach - One of the best thing he's ever done, IMO.

Unless he's changed it, I think Larstangmark's signature is also from EOTB. It's worth checking out if you like minimalist music with repetitive variations. It's also worth checking out if you like music that's minimalist and has repetitive variations. On top of that, it's worth checking out if the minimalist music you like has variations that are a bit repetitive. :D

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 04:28

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ Aug. 16 2007, 08:50)
It's worth checking out if you like minimalist music with repetitive variations.

Tony, could you say that again, please, but slightly differently?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 04:29

Quote (Sweatpea @ Aug. 16 2007, 07:07)
I now feel a bit silly about the 'I don't need 'em all' thing.

We all do, Sweatpea. We all do. You speak for all of us.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 09:42

I once did think I needed all of his albums. That is what I really feel silly about. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 10:11

Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 16 2007, 04:28)
Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ Aug. 16 2007, 08:50)
It's worth checking out if you like minimalist music with repetitive variations.

Tony, could you say that again, please, but slightly differently?

-- Knock Knock.
— Who's there?
— Knock Knock.
— Who's there?
— Knock Knock.
— Who's there?
— Knock Knock.
— Who's there?
— Philip Glass.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 15:00

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ Aug. 16 2007, 03:50)
Its a (slightly cut down version of a) bit of lyrical bewilderness from Philip Glass' Einstein On The Beach - One of the best thing he's ever done, IMO.

I don't think I've heard that, or else it's been a very long time since I have. I know I've heard PDQ Bach's "Prelude to Einstein on the Fritz", though.

It must've been really annoying to edit it from an hour to just over 11 mins! - Ebony

The best part's are the cover and sleave note's. - The Big BellEnd

so fa soo faaa sooo faa sooo-... faa soo faa soo faaa sooo.. - jonnyw

Comfortably down into the safety zone again. Proof positive that Mike Oldfield is truly good for your health. - Alan D

When you get excited, does your blood pressure go up? because I prefer to get excited when listening to Mikes music, but I'm glad to hear you so successfully averted another heart attack, and if you are gonna die of a heart attack, why not make Mike the last thing you hear, he he! - TubularBelle

I would only really listen to Amarok in the safety of my own home - Jammer

I illegally downloaded it, illegally listened to it, illegally hated it, then illegally listened again and decided it's not THAT bad, illegally listened again and again, falling in love with it and buying a CD and LP in the meantime. Which industry would classify as a 15 dollar loss, which it would add to an already megahuge sum of losses due to MP3 downloading. Of course they won't deduct the prices of both CD and LP from that sum. - Navaira

Never bought this album..... i had the chance to but.... I am too scared - lightspeed

Virgin Superstore, where, last time I checked, they had never heard of Mike Oldfield - hiawatha

there are reasons why there are very few examples of Mike's vocal prowess - Baggiesfaninessex

as a female-fan of his, I tend to look at him from several aspects - ElJane

music doesn't depend entirely in complexity and difficulty. Either that's too much of a detached vision, or I'm a mother****in' sell-out corporate bastard for thinking that a song isn't necessarily worthless just because the melody is catchy and easy to remember. But then, you might remember that I'm the fan of Heaven's Open who spat on Tubular Bells III and smite me. - Sir Mustapha

On June 25th, 2007 the planet Herginum came into a three-way conjunction with the planet Platinest and the planet Ommarok in the constellation of Incantular Tubulations. Now, the Great Prophet Fivemilecrises had written, thousand of years before this event, that for as long as that conjunction lasted - no more and no less - subjective musical opinions about any Mike Oldfield album would become objective fact. This conjunction only lasted for about two minutes, starting at 9.57am and ending at 9.59. So naturally, I seized my moment. - Alan D

Crikey! Is this debate still going? The answer is still Noooooo!!! - Baggiesfaninessex

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 16:08

More Sweatpea quotes:

1. On giving credit where it's due:

It seems to me ... that crediting "Platinum Part 4" to Glass is like crediting a gateau to the chicken who laid the eggs.

2. On the importance of being thorough:

Determining the most orgasmic MO album? Surely, to be fair, you should give all the albums a chance?
Profile PM 
203 replies since Aug. 12 2007, 05:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (11) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net