Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Quote from Crises in Kanye West, Kanye rips Mike O for Dark Fantasy< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
wolfus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 07 2011, 01:38

Has anybody else noticed that the first few seconds of Kanye's Dark Fantasy contain a quote from In High Places, from Crises? As in: "can we get much higher?" Amazing, really.
Kanye on Amazon
Profile PM 
BubbaMc Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2011, 02:31

That's a pretty generic lyric though, most likely a coincidence. Personally I can't see Kayne listening to Oldfield's music.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2011, 06:45

You sample something because it fits on what you want for your music,not because you like it(in most cases).

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2011, 10:29

Maybe Kanye and Snoop Dogg have the same producer.Snoop Dogg
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2011, 17:36

@ Harmono: "Celtic Rain" (the piece sampled by Snoop) is an Irish traditional, so it's not really Mike. But the way it sounds resembles a lot Mike's version of it, so... another little bit of thievery. :D And no royalties to pay here, because, as I said, the music is traditional.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
wolfus Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2011, 00:53

No. It's not just the lyric - it's the melody as well. Don't tell me there's actually no-one left here who has actually heard In High Places?
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2011, 02:22

Wolfus - yes, it's in the melody as well - "can we get much higher." So definately Mike's.

Wish they'd included the "navigator to heaven" words - that's my favourite part.   :)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2011, 05:45

We already had a thread on this a while ago, I seem to remember.

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2011, 07:19

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 07 2011, 23:36)
@ Harmono: "Celtic Rain" (the piece sampled by Snoop) is an Irish traditional, so it's not really Mike. But the way it sounds resembles a lot Mike's version of it, so... another little bit of thievery. :D And no royalties to pay here, because, as I said, the music is traditional.

It says on my copy of Voayager that four tracks (Mont St Michel, Wild Goose Flaps its Wings, Voyager and Celtic Rain) are by Mike Oldfield. The rest, it says, are traditional (except The Song of the Sun, which is by Bieito Romero).
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2011, 07:31

Quote (Harmono @ Jan. 09 2011, 13:19)
It says on my copy of Voyager that four tracks (Mont St Michel, Wild Goose Flaps its Wings, Voyager and Celtic Rain) are by Mike Oldfield. The rest, it says, are traditional (except The Song of the Sun, which is by Bieito Romero).

Oh, sorry. I must've got confused. :) Anyway, I wouldn't trust the "official" credits on the Voyager sleeve too much: they say that "Women of Ireland" is traditional, and it isn't. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2011, 08:01

Quote (kazav @ Jan. 08 2011, 05:45)
We already had a thread on this a while ago, I seem to remember.

Kazav, have you been here before under another name (gawd, here we go again!;)? Your bio says you've been here only since October.
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2011, 09:32

Nope, only this name. I just seem to remember reading a thread about this topic not long after I joined is all. Even tried to find it but I can't.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 11 2011, 18:44

Quote (BubbaMc @ Jan. 07 2011, 02:31)
That's a pretty generic lyric though, most likely a coincidence. Personally I can't see Kayne listening to Oldfield's music.

Even though Hip Hop is not really represented in my playlist (except if you count DJ Shadow's Endtroducing as an example), I know that those musicians tend to be very eclectic and gather a very diverse array of sources; Kanye samples King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man in that very same album.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 12 2011, 16:27

Mentioned in this article: http://top40-charts.com/news....90.html

His vocals from "High Places" (by Mike Oldfield, written by Anderson and Oldfield) are sampled on Kanye West's new track "Dark Fantasy" from My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.
Profile PM 
wolfus Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2011, 01:47

Ah - the voice of reason - so glad you are still here Olivier. Happy 2011 to you   cheers, w.
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2011, 10:57

Quote (kazav @ Jan. 09 2011, 15:32)
Nope, only this name. I just seem to remember reading a thread about this topic not long after I joined is all. Even tried to find it but I can't.

Found it: http://tubular.net/forums....l=kanye

Thought I was going nuts for a while there. And it's from November...after I joined in October...just saying like...though why my mentioning we had a topic from a while ago should imply I've been here under another name still baffles me...

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2011, 11:32

Quote (kazav @ Jan. 13 2011, 15:57)
...though why my mentioning we had a topic from a while ago should imply I've been here under another name still baffles me...

Hey Kazav - don't take any notice! Last week had us all wondering who was who after Milamber's Finale Award. Think it's back to normal now. :)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
oGUH Offline

Posted: April 05 2011, 08:47

Has any one of you ever heard this french song? It came out in 1997 or 98 I don't remember and at the time I really enjoyed the music sample,13 years later I know why  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDLexuyc694
Profile PM 
bob the screamer Offline

Posted: April 05 2011, 11:15

Quote (oGUH @ April 05 2011, 14:47)
Has any one of you ever heard this french song? It came out in 1997 or 98 I don't remember and at the time I really enjoyed the music sample,13 years later I know why  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDLexuyc694

Oh, never heard. Strange to use the lake of all songs!
In general, I really dislike when they do this though :(
I think it's not fair to take the credit... probably almost no one knew it was taken from MO..

--------------
New free album out:

http://www.bobthescreamer.com/music/twinety-twine/
Profile PM 
18 replies since Jan. 07 2011, 01:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net