Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells sample used in Chimpan A's song< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 10 2006, 22:10

The Chimpan A CD features the song "The Secret Wish" which contains samples of the Tubular Bells introduction. Mike Oldfield has approved it and is credited as cowriter.

Thanks to producer Rob Reed for the tip.
Profile PM 
Jeremy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 10 2006, 22:35

" .... it's like a formula, I mean there's zillions of different ones you can think of, it may go on endlessly"

--------------
How can they NOT like my music!
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 11 2006, 03:56

Sounds like Sam Brown singing it?.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: July 11 2006, 06:04

Interesting to see that Magenta has asked me to be added as a friend to myspace.com:

manintherain

:cool:
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: July 11 2006, 10:58

This song is really quite boring, Im sorry, just dont like anything today...
Btw. rapper Ice-T also used TB1 intro in his first album, Rhyme Pays. It opens the album and is worth checking out, even if only for some laughs. ;)
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 12 2006, 05:00

;) Hello ! Well this is the first time i like a remix about Tubular Bells ! This is better than the Techno remixes that we have  heard before that song ..... Very quite song !
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: July 12 2006, 09:14

I really like it.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 13 2006, 12:34

I really hate it

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 15 2006, 00:38

I like it,it reminds me of some tunes I've created in my mind based on some Mike's guitar riffs and music passages.

Although TB riff,IMO,is a cliche on sampling MO's tracks everywhere.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Fox Offline

Posted: July 16 2006, 17:44

That is surprisingly good!  I'll check out the rest of the CD.  I always wondered what kind of lyrics could go with the TB theme.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 17 2006, 08:37

There was also Janet Jackson's Velvet Rope.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: July 17 2006, 10:15

Just listened to Jackson`s Velvet Rope at Amazon.com.
its somewhat altered like the Ice-T track, maybe little more- but its stil not hard to figure out where its taken from.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: July 17 2006, 11:14

re the Chimpan A song - normally I am quite mild-mannered & full of praise for most things, but come on, this has to be the most awful thing anyone could do to such a masterpiece. Why? I keep asking why? It should be left alone, I don't like this habit of today, taking things and using them. It's cheating.
What has it achieved, all I want to do is hear Tubular Bells, the other layer of music is not woven into it, it just wafts along going nowhere. I know there is Bach in the opening bars of Tubular Bells, but that was a different kind of inspiration I feel. That was an original idea, developed into something never heard before.

I actually find this new track quite offensive, but am now feeling bad because they're probably all very nice, hardworking musicians trying to come up with something new. But why not choose something else, don't waterdown Mike Oldfield. It is sacrilege to commit such a crime. Just my view, sorry if I have offended anyone :/

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: July 17 2006, 11:31

I didn't really like the zipping sounds that were in the track, and was hoping to hear lyrics to the actual beginning TB theme. Have you heard the Tori Amos version of the beginning TB theme?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: July 17 2006, 12:52

Quote (hiawatha @ July 17 2006, 16:31)
Have you heard the Tori Amos version of the beginning TB theme?

No, I think I'm a bit of a purist where Mike is concerned. My view is leave it alone, it's not yours!! BTW I liked Cornflake Girl by Tori Amos (was that it, nice piano) but that was a while ago. Not familiar with the Janet Jackson homage either.

I understand that sampling, is in a way some kind of respect to the original artist but in the majority of cases, for me , it kind of destroys what was good about the source. But then I am a paradox because I really, really liked the Madonna hit, Hung Up where she used  Abba's Gimme etc; somehow that worked very well.  I'm not a huge fan of hers but Abba I think will have a deserved place in popular musical history. So it must be something about how the music is used? blended. I'm not a musician though, so I don't really know what I'm talking about. I always go by what my ears/feelings tell me. :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 17 2006, 18:19

Quote (hiawatha @ July 17 2006, 17:31)
Have you heard the Tori Amos version of the beginning TB theme?

I did, prompted by dkay. :) It was part of a medley she used to do live in 1996 (I think she only did it on one tour). The medley started with Tori's song "Father Lucifer" and she went into TB from that - I guess because of the usual Exorcist connection. :D Sometimes she went from TB into "Smalltown boy", sometimes she went back to "Father Lucifer", sometimes she just stopped after TB. :) I have two versions of the medley, one where she goes into "Smalltown boy" and one where she stops it after TB. If anyone's interested, I may upload one of these somewhere...

EDIT: Punk band Therapy? also did a live medley featuring the TB opening theme. They started from it, then they went into "Breaking the law" by Judas Priest (?) and ended with their own "Nowhere".

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Skylark Offline

Posted: July 18 2006, 12:30

Some interesting posts on both sides of the fence about the ChimpanA project.  The producer Rob Reed is a big Oldfield fan, an influence which comes across frequently in his main outlet, the rock band Magenta www.magenta-web.com.

Though "A Secret Wish" is obviously the main focus of this forum for obvious reasons, the rest of the project is actually very interesting.  They have also sampled some choral pieces by composer John Tavener, but the rest of the album is original music, with lots of variation, aimed at the Moby / Jakatta / Zero 7 / Massive Attack audience.

The lead vocal on "A Secret Wish" (and most of the rest of the album) is by Steve Balsamo of the Storys.
Profile PM 
Josh Offline

Posted: July 23 2006, 11:15

Quote (bee @ July 17 2006, 14:52)
[quote=hiawatha,July 17 2006, 16:31]
I understand that sampling, is in a way some kind of respect to the original artist but in the majority of cases, for me , it kind of destroys what was good about the source. But then I am a paradox because I really, really liked the Madonna hit, Hung Up where she used  Abba's Gimme etc; somehow that worked very well.  I'm not a huge fan of hers but Abba I think will have a deserved place in popular musical history.

Didn't Mike use one of Abba's hits, Arrival, as well? Here is a quote from the "discography" page on QE2: "With QE2, Mike attempted to cooperate with his record company, Virgin, a bit more. His hope was that if he took their suggestions on board, they would promote his albums better, especially in the USA where they sometimes weren't being released at all. At their suggestion, he recorded covers of Abba's track 'Arrival' and 'Wonderful land', a piece made famous by The Shadows. He also took David Hentschel on board, who at the time was working with Genesis. Virgin still didn't promote the album in the way Mike would have liked, however, which caused further resentment."
IMHO it's sad that someone as talented as Mike (and now Chimpan A) would need to do a thing like this. I think music is limitless, and so is the human brain. Keep using it for goodness sake! (Besides that they get paid for it).

--------------
Am I rock? or what?! Oh..., wait a minute: Amarok!
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2006, 05:07

I think sometimes covers and, more relevantly, samples of other tracks can be creative. To have a debate on the subject you have to see sampling in it's original context. DJs (not artists) began mixing tunes together in the late 70's simply at partys and dances and such. They soon realised that this could create something new and interesting. This spawned the genre of hip hop.

Infact there is a predomintly instrumental album made entirely of samples of other people's music called 'Endtroducing' by DJ Shadow and it is absolutely incredible. The fact that Shadow didn't play any instruments doesn't make this album any less creative or any less of a masterpiece. If anything he uses the sampler as though it was an instrument, which, of course, it can be.

As far as the 'Chimpan A' 'Tubular Bells' sample goes, I can't say I'm too impressed. I think it's a bit too obvious and I would be surprised if you heard this song anywhere other than the link we all just followed.

A Mike sample most definitely worth listening to though is 'The Use of Unacceptable Colours In Nature' by a 'DJ/Artist' (he plays musical instruments aswell as the decks and samplers) called 'Boom Bip' from Chicago. The track is available on the album 'Seed to Sun' and samples the intro of Hergest Ridge to spine tingling effect. Infact, if Mike wants to do an electronic version of his latest album he should leave it to Boom Bip.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2006, 05:14

I forgot to say in my last post.

A point which very often comes up when discussing covers and samples is that "it destroys the original".

No it doesn't. I just checked, and my copy of Tubular Bells is still intact. You can still listen to the original. A sample just adds to the legacy of any given track.

I think though, it is important for an artist to state when they have used a sample (this doesn't allways happen). In the case of Chimpan A it is blatantly obvious what it is but there are a million other potential Oldfield samples the general public wouldn't recognise if they hit them in the face.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
21 replies since July 10 2006, 22:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net