Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: My 4 year old son's obsession with Mike Oldfield< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
alangcb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 05 2011, 17:48

Hi there,
I've enjoyed these forums for ages and been a member for 18 months but this is my first post. I thought I'd share with you my 4 year old son Andrew's love for Mike Oldfield's music.
I've been a fan myself since buying Moonlight Shadow in 1983 aged 12. That led me to Tubular Bells and a life of listening to and collecting all of Mike's music.
Recently I was playing The Complete Mike Oldfield cd (instrumental section) in the car while driving my son to nursery. He started really enjoying the tunes especially In Dulci Jubilo, Portsmouth and William Tell Overture. Soon every car journey had to have a Mike Oldfield soundtrack and every CD player in the house had a stack of Mike's albums that my son would play whenever he got the chance. Things developed further when I showed him the Elements DVD and from that point he would gather all his toy musical instruments around the TV (xylophone, keyboard, recorder, drum and tennis raquet for a guitar) and play along with the videos, changing instrument whenever he saw Mike with a different one in his hands. Initially it was the 3 tunes mentioned above which he would constantly replay but soon he was watching more and attempting to mimic Mike's movements in Shadow on the Wall, Shine and many others. (He also laughed like a drain at the Don Alfonso video). His latest obsession is the Live at Montreux DVD and I came into the lounge the other day to find he'd taken his tshirt off and was strumming away on his tennis racket, mirroring exactly Mike's moves as he played Punkadiddle. My 2 year old daughter has joined in the fun too and now won't go for her afternoon nap until she's taken off her shoes and socks, grabbed a tea towel to wave about and danced around the room along with the ladies in the Portsmouth video.
A love of Mike Oldfield is obviously hereditary!
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 05 2011, 18:18

Hi Alan.
A very nice story there and a belated welcome to the board.
Try and hunt out The Essential Mike Oldfield video the kids will love that too  :D
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2011, 05:02

Hello Alan.

My kids have been brought up with Mike Oldfield as well. Their favourites being Incantations, Tubular Bells II and III, Amarok and The Millennium Bell...and Songs of Distant Earth. It makes me smile when they ask to bring an MO CD in the car. I think - yey!!

Have you got snow up there is Glasgow?

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 06 2011, 05:49

I hate using this word, but something I have to make an exception: that story was awesome.

I hope that phase helps to make your kids have a very rich and rewarding musical life in the future. At least they've had one hell of a start. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
alangcb Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2011, 06:01

Thanks for the kind replies, much appreciated.

Yes Wiga it's all white and 'deep and crisp and even' up here in my part of Glasgow- a day for keeping warm inside and listening to Mike.

Milamber, your post reminded me that I had The Essential Mike Oldfield video in a box in the loft and I fished it out late last night. Before going to nursery this morning Andrew had already rewound and watched (3 times!;) the bit where Mike shows his finger picking guitar style. I think we may have to ask Santa if he could bring a guitar this year!
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2011, 13:32

Hi Alan

I really enjoyed that. Thanks for posting. :D

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
5 replies since Dec. 05 2011, 17:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net