How have you known Mike's music???
and your first of his albums

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 16 2005, 08:37

five miles out and and friend played the music. The day after went to the to hear tb and I was hooked
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2005, 09:24

2)  Tubular Bells
1)   My dad played it when I was 11.After that I fell in love with MO's music.

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2005, 11:18

1) Heard TB on an old cassette player being played by this fella my brother used to sometimes hang out with, above a wonderful valley where we used to play as kids in the summer of 1975 or 1976.

2) Tubular Bells.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2005, 16:22

I  remember Tubular Bells as a kid of the '70's , but didn't really appreciate it at the time.  In 1980 I remember Mike recording the Blue Peter theme, there's a clip of this available,  (having seen it again some 25 years on , I STILL remember this as if it were yesterday. Showing my age there, heehheehheeee!!!!  :) ) .
 Then in 1983 Moonlight Shadow was released, this was a no.4 hit single in the UK. I've always been a fan of that song. That's when I remebered Mike recorded the BP theme and I remebered the TB album cover artwork.  In 1995/6 I heard TB again, this time it blew me away.  I bought the "Essential Mike Oldfield" compilation CD, I was hooked.

:)  For the Blue Peter clip I typed in "I love blue peter" into my web browser , this should take you to the I Love Blue Peter homepage.  On the right there's a list of BP presenters, click on presenter "Simon Groom", the clip's titled "Simon in tune".  It's only fractionally over two minutes long, but what memories it brought back for me  :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
greebouk2k Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2005, 18:37

about 7 years ago when i was 8 my dad use to play Elements
in the car and me and my mate use to laugh at Etude, In Dulci Jubilo and Portsmouth but we liked Family Man, Moonlight Shadow, Shadow on the Wall and Sentinel. 6 years later i was looking 4 a cd to listen to during work and thort i might listen to Elements and got it to it then that’s when i got my 1st mike oldfield album Ommadawn! now im hooked!
Profile PM 
Woodlander Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2005, 07:15

First time I heard Mikes name was in connection with Family Man, but I did not take much notice of it. Then in 1983 when Moonlight Shadow was released, I thought it was a great song and I went to buy Crises. When I listened to the songs I thought there were very good, but then I listened to the instrumental part and was totally blown away. :) Well, I have been a huge fan ever since.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2005, 07:23

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Feb. 16 2005, 16:22)
For the Blue Peter clip I typed in "I love blue peter" into my web browser , this should take you to the I Love Blue Peter homepage.  On the right there's a list of BP presenters, click on presenter "Simon Groom", the clip's titled "Simon in tune".  It's only fractionally over two minutes long, but what memories it brought back for me  :) .

Dammit - I just tried it and the link isn't working today.  Must remember to try again.  Thanks for the heads-up, mch!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2005, 19:57

I saw the TBII concert on TV, was hypnotized by it :), bought the album (TBII) and the original TB a day later. That's how it all started. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Yuval Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 20 2005, 04:29

Back in the stereo "tapes" period 1988
I hate forwarding, so I had to listen through this whole two parts instrumental I knew nothing about, in order to listen to "by the moon light shadow" my sister recorded on the end of the tape.
Each listening I started liking the instrumental more than the anticipated song on the end of the tape... it turned out to be Ommadawn. One hell of an entrance ticket to oldfield's world.
Profile PM 
SentinelGard Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2005, 00:20

I was about 8 or 9 years of age wheni found my brothers TBI tape and have been listening to M.O music ever since...

Cheers Mikey :laugh:

--------------
"Onwards & Upwards'"
Profile PM WEB 
Satyagraha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 21 2005, 19:35

I heard Moonlight Shadow on the radio in 1983, and was tantalized by its atmosphere. Hadn't started buying records yet, as I was only still a kid. Then in 84 I bought Discovery, and boy, was it great. Then I bought Crises, The Complete Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn and Incantations, in that order. I felt as if I was the only one in the world knowing about this gorgeous music, and I wanted to keep it to myself, really. In 85 I saw Killing Fields only because of its musical score. Bought Five Miles Out, Platinum and QE2. And then, in 87, Islands was released, and I lost all interest in Oldfield. Tried listening to TB II in a record store the day it was released, having read that it was supposed to be a sequel to the great Tubular Bells. I thought it was dreadful; just a sugary remake. It was only a couple of years ago I started listening to Oldfield again, discovering the wonderful Amarok.

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
11 replies since Feb. 16 2005, 07:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net