Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok LIVE Video Footage, Gus Fogle and Jason Miller performance< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
GusFogle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 28 2012, 11:52

Here it is. The first live performance in history. I'm very proud to have been part of this project and sincerely wish to thank Ryan Yard for the work he put into it as well. I hope you all enjoy our interpretation and arrangement of this piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQj2gOFn9d0
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: April 28 2012, 18:36

Impressive!

The arrangement is very interesting. With only the piano and electric bass, the piece is perhaps more accessible and coherent than what you hear on the album. It's also a very difficult arrangement, especially the piano part, but clearly you guys know how to play. If you decided to record a CD of this in a studio environment, I assume it would be a huge hit among fans of Amarok... I'd pay money for that. Truly great stuff!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 28 2012, 19:36

I'm looking forward to hearing this, but haven't been able to find a quiet hour for it so far. The best opportunity would probably be on my daily walk, which is where I mostly listen to music these days, as I'm never left alone at home. :)
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: April 29 2012, 05:04

;) ... as i really love the original piece i can say there are parts i like and there are some i don't like ! The ones i really like remind me of the original piece ! I'm sorry maybe we should not listen to it with the real Amarok in mind !...

But one thing is sure , Gus is really good at piano ...wow !! playing so fast some parts ... Great !

;)
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: April 29 2012, 05:35

Really really splendid!! I can say no more!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 29 2012, 06:28

The choice of the piano really suited,combine with the bass. With the piano it strips down to basics and the beauty of the melody/harmonies appear much more...

...what a great effort btw!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
bob the screamer Offline

Posted: April 29 2012, 10:26

very very impressive! Great work everyone who were involved!

--------------
New free album out:

http://www.bobthescreamer.com/music/twinety-twine/
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: April 29 2012, 15:32

Thanks, everyone!

Thought I would include Ryan's video response to our performance as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNs_Bs6ooq4
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 03 2012, 10:02

Yes, a big well done to all 3 of you involved in this, I wonder if Mike will get to see it?
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 03 2012, 13:11

This is simply fantastic. Very well done all three of you, and congratulations on the great performance! I will certainly listen to this more and hope for a studio recording one day!
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: May 12 2012, 10:56

Is it my twisted imagination, or can I hear someone saying encore?!  Let 'em breathe!:laugh:

Very well done, Gus and Jason.  You took on a phenomenal amount of work, and perfomed with admirable brio.  It may be a while before I've absorbed enough of it to remember or constructively review it, but that puts you in very hallowed company!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: May 12 2012, 16:23

Thanks again, folks.

I'm curious what some of the real Amarok freaks on this site like Ugo thought about the performance.

The feedback on youtube has mostly been fantastic. Out of 72 votes, we have 70 likes. I'm somewhat puzzled by the 2 dislikes- anyone expecting a performance of Amarok from 2 people to sound exactly like the album is setting themself up for dissapointment. There is just no pleasing some I guess.

The camera somewhat homogenized the dynamics and reduced the evidence of the dynamic range. In other news, Incantations is coming along now and we have good prospects for performing the piece at a much larger venue in a much larger town. I will let everyone know as details emerge, but imagine we will be ready to perform Incantations by October/November.
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 12 2012, 20:25

[quote=GusFogle,May 12 2012, 22:23][/quote]
I'm curious what some of the real Amarok freaks on this site like Ugo thought about the performance.

Ugo? Sure he's an Amarok freak, but just because the rest of us don't have it in our signature doesn't mean we aren't. ;)

The camera somewhat homogenized the dynamics and reduced the evidence of the dynamic range.

No one in their right minds would expect this to sound anything like studio quality.

In other news, Incantations is coming along now and we have good prospects for performing the piece at a much larger venue in a much larger town. I will let everyone know as details emerge, but imagine we will be ready to perform Incantations by October/November.

Great news. BTW, I have spread the news to the only active Russian MO forum I'm aware of, and they're loving it, too! :)
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: May 24 2012, 19:13

Ryan and all involved in this project are now a part of Mike Oldfield history on wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarok_(album)#Live_performance

About the Incantations project: Parts 2 and 4 are now completely learned and arranged. As of now the ensemble for the Incantations show will consist of bass guitar, piano, and trombone.
Profile PM WEB 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 17:44

There has been a large jump in the views of the Amarok concert since Mike did the Olympics show. Nearly 9000 views in 3 months isn't bad at all.

Incantations is 3/4 of the way ready for a live show!
Profile PM WEB 
pilotfish Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2012, 18:45

I would sell my mother to join your band on percussion ! I love Incantations ! sadly i'm in europe :-(((
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: April 27 2022, 22:38

10 years ago today, Jason and I performed Amarok live for the first time. Reflecting back on this performance after a decade, it's hard not to get slightly emotional thinking about how much has changed in my life since then. Through that decade, I experienced several personal losses, graduated music school, changed careers, then came full circle again playing music with Jason after several years of us not working together on anything musical. We've recorded our first original music together in 8 years, a full instrumental album that we are both quite proud of and worked hard to complete for most of the past year. For anyone interested, you can listen to our most recent work here:
https://soundcloud.com/gus-fogle/sets/two-is-one-one-is-none
Profile PM WEB 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: April 29 2022, 01:28

Quote (GusFogle @ April 27 2022, 22:38)
10 years ago today, Jason and I performed Amarok live for the first time. Reflecting back on this performance after a decade, it's hard not to get slightly emotional thinking about how much has changed in my life since then. Through that decade, I experienced several personal losses, graduated music school, changed careers, then came full circle again playing music with Jason after several years of us not working together on anything musical. We've recorded our first original music together in 8 years, a full instrumental album that we are both quite proud of and worked hard to complete for most of the past year. For anyone interested, you can listen to our most recent work here:
https://soundcloud.com/gus-fogle/sets/two-is-one-one-is-none

First impressions are: wild, complex, very energetic. I'll need multiple listens to grasp the structure and musical themes. Thanks for sharing! (BTW, love the title)
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 29 2022, 04:32

Hi Gus, it is great to hear from you again, I still watch the Amarok performance from you and Jason from time to time, and it is still impressive. Did you ever get around to doing Incantations?
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: April 29 2022, 20:28

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ April 29 2022, 04:32)
Hi Gus, it is great to hear from you again, I still watch the Amarok performance from you and Jason from time to time, and it is still impressive. Did you ever get around to doing Incantations?

Nice to check in again with you guys after all these years. Yeah, we did play Incantations later in 2012, but I wasn't all that happy with how it turned out. I was experiencing severe burn-out after doing back-to-back large scale musical projects (Taurus 2 to Amarok to Incantations) with no breaks in between over the course of about a year and a half. The Incantations rehearsals were plagued with issues. We had a 3rd musician drop out half way through rehearsals, which left us scrambling for a replacement, then he returned 1 month before the scheduled concert, thus he was woefully unprepared for the difficulty of the music. Still, it was worth the effort as I learned a lot. Playing the sequenced/arpeggiated parts manually with one hand while my left hand did something else was pretty crazy, and I improved as a musician as a result of that project.

qcfoetus- thank you for your feedback on my music! Part 2 is a mirror image of Part 1, with many themes being shared between the two pieces. I learned a lot from Oldfield's music about recurring musical themes, and implement what I learned in my own music.
Profile PM WEB 
20 replies since April 28 2012, 11:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net