Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Moonlight Shadow, Extended Version< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Zak51 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 23 2005, 17:44

This is one of my favourite tracks. despite its misuse on the 'Fast Show'. Can anyone please tell me on which album the extended version of Moonlight Shadow can be found? Is it available as a CD single or as a download? Or best of all, does anyone have one for sale?[B] :/
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Dec. 23 2005, 22:04

[12" single]
1. Moonlight Shadow (05:18) extended version lyrics red star
2. Rite Of Man (02:21) lyrics

"Moonlight Shadow" written by Mike Oldfield, "Rite Of Man" written by Mike Oldfield & Jeremy Parker.
Produced by Mike Oldfield & Simon Phillips.
Originally released on May 6th, 1983.

picture

ALSO:

Moonlight Shadow (Elements)   Moonlight Shadow © 1993 Virgin · VSCDT 1477

1. Moonlight Shadow (03:38) lyrics © 1983 Virgin
2. Moonlight Shadow (05:18) extended version lyrics red star © 1983 Virgin
3. In The Pool (03:40) red star © 1984 Virgin
4. Bones (03:19) red star © 1984 Virgin

Written by Mike Oldfield.
Produced by Mike Oldfield & Simon Phillips.
Originally released on September 1993.

A maxi CD single released to promote the "Elements" compilation that features "In The Pool" and "Bones" for the first and only time avaliable on CD.

picture

But where to buy it i really dont know. If you are from scandinavia you can always try tradera but that is in swedish.

or here you got one if its available push the button :)

good luck!  :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
sEIGu Offline

Posted: Dec. 26 2005, 07:47

£70.00

*röchel*

--------------
sEIGu
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 26 2005, 08:40

What's funny is if you click the link to go to the 'Used & New' listing, there's a 'low price' logo underneath where it says £70. I think it'll take more than a flashy logo to convince me...

That's the 1984 3 inch CD they're selling there, if I'm not mistaken. It is fairly rare to see a copy, but I'd say £70 is excessive. I'd have said that £15 - 20 is a more realistic price, and I'd bet you could find it for less if you looked.

The 1993 release is a better one to get, if you just want it so you can have a copy of the song on CD. It should be a little easier to find, and you ought to be able to get a copy for under £10.
Profile PM 
Zak51 Offline

Posted: Dec. 26 2005, 19:15

Thanks to you all for your help.  I have searched extensively for two days to find the 1993 CD single but with no success. I have registered with eil.com, a company who search out rare CDs etc. and they will advise me when (or if) they get one in. The extended version doesn't seem to be available as a download. I will continue with my quest.

Happy New Year to you all. :)
Profile PM 
Zak51 Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 16:28

:D Hi folks, just to say that I have now acquired the 1983 CD single 1993 (Virgin · VSCDT 1477). After 3 weeks of hunting high and low in cyberspace, I found a copy on Amazon for £20. A little over the odds maybe, but far better value than the one that was previously advertised on there at £70!!

I shall go and finish off my bottle of Southern Comfort. Take care and thanks for your help, in particular that from Tubularman.
Profile PM 
The Man who is He.. Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 19:01

Quote (Zak51 @ Dec. 23 2005, 17:44)
This is one of my favourite tracks. despite its misuse on 'Not the 9'oclock News'!!!

Can anyone please tell me on which album the extended version of Moonlight Shadow can be found? Is it available as a CD single or as a download? Or best of all, does anyone have one for sale?[B] :/

Please could somebody tell me how MS was used on the show.
Allthough I am only just about old enough to remember it, I never watched it, I was too busy climbing trees, fishing and annoying my crusty old neighbour when this show was around.
Did I miss anything??
Profile PM 
Zak51 Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2006, 07:57

Sorry my mistake, the show was actually called the 'Fast Show'.The song was used in a sketch which parodied an eco-warrior type character (Dave Angel ). He was usually dressed in only his briefs and a trilby! His wife was a dumb blonde type (Shirley) who was usually doing something very uneco-friendly in the background. The sketch would usually start or end with a clip of Dave walking purposefully along a country road (usually away from the camera) to the strains of 'Moonlight Shadow'!!!!!!!!! You may have seen the same character on TV ads promoting the economical use of gas.....often including windfarms, or in the bath, his real name is Simon Day. Here is a link for more information.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/fastshow/characters/dave_angel.shtml

Back to writing my book now.

Cheers, :zzz:
Profile PM 
The Man who is He.. Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2006, 14:17

Thanks.
The way I see it, The fast show was hardly a classic.
I'd like to see Monty Python do a Mike O music gag. At least then it would be worth watching.
Profile PM 
Zak51 Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2006, 14:08

Hmmm........We may be in danger of getting off the subject here but even I was very young when 'Python' was first done and in those days it was cutting edge stuff and caused national debate. Everyone had their favourite Python line (This parrot is dead!! My shit don't stink!;) or a favourite sketch ( Spam Song, I'm a Lumberjack etc.) The Fast Show whilst in a very different genre still has some great moments.

Anyway, I now have a mint copy of the CD, courtesy of Mike Blackmore who advertised it on the Amazon site. I recommend this guy, good communications and fast delivery.

Time for tea  :p
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2006, 17:06

Well Now you can just buy the Platinum collenction and listen till your ears are sore!!!!!   :D   Ray :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Zak51 Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 17:09

Hmmmmmmmmm, the Platinum Collection, how many of these tracks do I already have? And, how many CDs, vinyls, tapes, minidiscs and MP3s do I have? Time for an audit/clearout maybe. Perhaps I can then sell some stuff to raise sufficient funds to replace my Squier Telecaster Custom with something more exotic.  :D
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 15:27

I'd recently heard the extended version for the first time. I like it even more than the original album version. I think the softer, subtler beginning section and the extra, final verse are improvements to the piece.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2007, 17:26

Quote (Sweatpea @ Aug. 03 2007, 21:27)
I'd recently heard the extended version for the first time. I like it even more than the original album version. I think the softer, subtler beginning section and the extra, final verse are improvements to the piece.

@ Sweatpea: As I said quite some time ago in another topic, I don't think it's an extra verse at all... it was originally recorded that way, and the single is an edit of it. Would you like to hear this for yourself? Well, listen to the single version/album version and notice how abruptly the volume of Maggie's voice rises right after the guitar solo when singing "Caught in the middle of 105..." Now listen to the so-called 'Extended Version'. Maggie's voice rises steadily in volume all through the three repeats of the "I stay / I pray" bit, and when she gets to "The last time ever she'd seen him / Carried away by a moonlight shadow / The crowd gathered just to leave him / Carried away by a moonlight shadow" her vocal track has already reached its full volume, so when she gets to "Caught in the middle of 105" it doesn't sound abrupt at all, it sounds very natural.

All of this, I think, is also the case for "Pictures in the Dark"

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2007, 17:04

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 04 2007, 17:26)
I don't think it's an extra verse at all... it was originally recorded that way, and the single is an edit of it.

I had wondered about that. Your hypothesis sounds sensible, Ugo. I suppose a three and a half minute song is more radio-friendly than one that is over five minutes. I think I'd have preferred to have the longer version on the album with the shorter version exclusively a single.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 06 2007, 12:17

Back in that time, it was a general practice to keep the "long" edits of the singles to the 12 inch versions. Interestingly, one of the first albums to break that pattern was the Pet Shop Boys' Introspective which did the opposite. As for Moonlight Shadow, I'm thankful it turned out that way. It's been ages since I was able to listen to that edit, but unless memory fails me, the sound of the track seems to change somewhat at the "last verse", as if that part was tacked on afterwards. It always sounded like that to me. Only the intro that, indeed, seems to have been edited out of the album edit - which is my favourite, because as far as pop songs are concerned, once you have said everything you have to say, move over and let the next song in. Don't repeat the chorus a bajillion times in a row just because you can.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2007, 12:37

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Aug. 06 2007, 17:17)
as far as pop songs are concerned, once you have said everything you have to say, move over and let the next song in. Don't repeat the chorus a bajillion times in a row just because you can.

I can't let this pass without saying that it's a statement of such good sense (and lightness of wit) that a copy of it should be sent to every performing artist and recording studio.

Nice one, Sir M.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 06 2007, 15:36

Thanks, Alan. :) I guess that applies to several artists, indeed. Embarrassingly enough, Mike causes the "Turing Machine Halting Problem" (i.e. you can never know for sure whether the song will end or not, :D) in some songs I like (e.g. Family Man, Flying Start), but I'm sensible enough not to act like the bother isn't there.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2007, 09:24

Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 06 2007, 18:37)
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Aug. 06 2007, 17:17)
as far as pop songs are concerned, once you have said everything you have to say, move over and let the next song in. Don't repeat the chorus a bajillion times in a row just because you can.

I can't let this pass without saying that it's a statement of such good sense (and lightness of wit) that a copy of it should be sent to every performing artist and recording studio.

Nice one, Sir M.

Amen!
Profile PM 
HUALCA Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 22:36

hello everyone!!!!
Despite of the fact this web page isn't unknown for me at all I've only registered some minutes ago. And considering Moonlight shadow was the song that caught me and made me fall in love with Mike's music. I decided to send my first "hello" here.
I'm from Chile..."the end of the world", and English isn't my native language so sorry for the possible writing mistakes.
bye for now!!!!!

;) Hugo
Profile PM 
20 replies since Dec. 23 2005, 17:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net