[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TB1 live in 73/74?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sparks Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 10 2000, 20:19

PLEASE SOMEBODY!

I have been searching for years for a 'rare' live version TB1 played to promote the album in the early 70's. NO not EXPOSED! as many tell me....much earlier. Does such a recording exist....and if so why is it so hard to find?!! I have been looking on and off for at least 14 years. Let's see if the net actually works! Somebody PLEASE help me before I get too old and deaf to enjoy it! If no sounds.....any info on it personel, venue dates reviews etc........Thanks (fingers crossed ever so tightly)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 16 2000, 20:34

I can't say I know a great deal about this...

There were several performances of it done around that time...one with Mike Oldfield, and another with Steve Hillage. Just going by something that somebody said to me once, I have a feeling that the Steve Hillage performance may have been recorded for TV, but as you might be able to tell, I'm not certain...
As for the Mike Oldfield performance, I have no idea...you might find that there's a recording kicking about somewhere, but who knows...
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 17 2000, 17:31

I believe I know something.

When TB came out, Oldfield did one performance in the Wembley in London. (or was it two by him??)

They did want to record it again on video-tape, so Oldfield played it with some musicians in a studio, and you can find that piece on the video "Elements".

What bothers me is: Is there a whole version of the tape? It only has 5 minutes on the "Elements" video-tape.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 17 2000, 19:11

Somebody has hit on this in another topic somewhere...

The clip on the 'Elements' video comes from a performance done for the BBC's '2nd House' programme. Apparently the BBC have found it in their archives (which is obviously how it got onto the Elements video) but there's a rumour that parts are missing...

It is, in theory, possible to get copies of footage from the BBC's archives...of course, you have to pay, and they will want serious money, especially if it's still on the old 2" video tape (the open reel kind). To make wild guesses, I doubt you'd get it for much less than £200, and probably a lot more than that...There certainly isn't a version available to buy commercially, and I don't think there ever has been. If you're incredibly lucky, you might find someone who has a copy of it at home (somebody who was involved with the show, for example, although they would probably have it on a professional format of some kind, like the 2" tape mentioned before)...I really doubt that you'll find anyone, though...
Profile PM 
Sparks Offline

Posted: April 18 2000, 20:02

OK....so far so good....thanks.....does anybody know more about the actual performances....ie who were the musicians involved......PA, lighting, reviews.....documentation must exist somewhere surely!!! Isn't this like the oldfield holy grail?! Does he have plans at all to do an anthology of rare stuff....now that WOULD be exciting! Keep it coming dudes!
Cheers
Sparks
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 20 2000, 20:58

The first performance, at the Queen Elizabeth II hall in London, had Mick Taylor on guitar, and Vivian Stanshall put in an appearance to introduce the instruments. They reharsed at Shepperton studios, in case you're interested. That's as much as I know right now...
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: April 24 2000, 14:30

About the 1973 TB performance:
At "The Bell" website in the album discography. A bootleg CD copy of the concert is listed.
The info:
Tubular Bells Live '73
Bootleg Live Album
1993 GE (OHM 73)
was given as well as a track listing:
27:45 The Tubular Bells Part 1
9:06 The Tubular Bells Part 2
1:45 The Sailor's Hornpipe
6:04 The Tubular Bells Part 3
2:03 Tubular Demo Bit 1
2:34 Tubular Demo Bit 2
7:02 Some Gaelic Tunes - A Duett
5:41 Don Alfonso
3:44 Don Alfonso (German version)

It seems a bit weird if you ask me. For example, why does part 2 only go for 9:06 (maybe there are missing bits)? Also, what the heck is part 3!!!????? But if those are really bits Mike's demo tape listed there as well, then the CD is definately a must have!

I'll e-mail the owner of the site pretty soon and ask if it is for real. I'll tell everyone the result ASAP.
rosko Offline

Posted: April 26 2000, 04:22

I've just found this site http://members.aol.com/earcandi/oldfield.htm

The owner trades home-made MO rarities CDs. He also runs the recordings through a re-mastering program before putting them on CD, so they should be pretty good quality.
"6/1/73 Queen Elizabeth Hall, London 90 min. B+/A- aud."
was one of the recordings listed on the site, although he said it wasn't on CD yet but will be soon.

If anyone succeeds in getting a copy, I'd love to know.

PS - this is the same guy who posted the message above this one.
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: April 27 2000, 05:38

I just got a reply from Carl, the owner of "The Bell" website. The results were dissapointing though. Here is the message.

"I'm afraid I don't have any info on the TB '73 bootleg, since I don't have it
myself, and I've never heard it. Someone simply sent me the scan and some
basic info, which you see on the web page."

My guess is that the CD is a fake. After all, that playlist looked pretty bogus anyway. The quest continues. I'll send a message to the owner of that rare CDs site I mentioned earlier. More as it develops.
Profile PM 
Sparks Offline

Posted: April 27 2000, 18:41

Keep it a coming Rosko! I got an E-mail back from ANDYPROG? on that site.....he apparently DOES have some stuff and I am beginning negotiations as to whether to trade or buy.......must be careful not to get stung! I may ask for proof ie. to send a short wav/mp3 snippet via E-mail......
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 28 2000, 09:23

A few things...

Firstly here's some info I found in the 'Elements' book. "In June 1973, a live performance of Tubular Bells was given at the Queen Eliszabeth Hall in London. Joining Mike on Stage were guitarists Mick Taylor (of The Rolling Stones), Steve Hillage (Gong), Fred Firth (Henry Cow) and Ted Speight. There were also David Bedford, Kevin Ayers and Pierre Moerlen...although billed to appear, Stevie Winwood was unable to perform because he had not been able to attend enough rehearsals."

Some of you might have been following the Orchestral Hergest Ridge topic in the HR forum. I'm almost completely certain that much of the version available as an MP3 is not the studio version of that piece, but a recording of the live performance in late 1974. A performance of Tubular Bells was given at the same time, so it would figure that it got recorded as well. This would be a performance of the Orchestral Tubular Bells with Steve Hillage on guitar, rather than the premiere that we're talking about here, but I thought someone might find it interesting anyway.
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: April 30 2000, 05:43

Here's the latest news on the TB recording. The guy who runs the rarities CDs site says that he's got so many trades to do right now, so he can't accept any requests for it just yet. Don't bother asking him about it - I promise I'll post a message when it's available. Until then, all we can do is wait patiently, unless we find another way of getting it.
Profile PM 
Info Offline

Posted: April 06 2001, 15:06

Some member said:

"The clip on the 'Elements' video comes from a performance done for the BBC's '2nd House' programme. Apparently the BBC have found it in their archives (which is obviously how it got onto the Elements video) but there's a rumour that parts are missing ... If you're incredibly lucky, you might find someone who has a copy of it at home (somebody who was involved with the show, for example, although they would probably have it on a professional format of some kind, like the 2" tape mentioned before)...I really doubt that you'll find anyone, though ..."

Actually, this programme appeared on Spanish TV on the 10th Anniversary of TB I, and it featured the complete TB part I, around 25 min. long or so, with good video and mono sound, no missing parts at all.
Very psychodelic, btw, mike looks like a hippie.

So it's quite possible some spanish fans videotaped it and a number of good copies still exist on VHS tape and/or MPEG format.
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: April 07 2001, 07:51

Here's a link to a real video file of that TV performance (part one only):

http://www.oldfield.dk/samples/tb1974.zip

I don't think there is any footage of the Queen Elizabeth Hall performance though, but I read something interesting about it on a webpage somewhere. Apparently it was broadcast on radio and a bootleg CD of this broadcast exists (not called "Tubular Bells Live '73" - that's a bogus album).
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: April 07 2001, 07:53

Oops.

That link is currently down. They're trying to find a new server for the files. It'll probably be back up in a while.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 02 2002, 15:21

Did anybody hear back from that bootleg guy? Surely he must be able to do something now, its been nearly 2 years! I'm just worried that it may be another poor rip-off of the exposed version - there are many notorious bootlegs that claim to be the original premiere but actually are the exposed version (similar to the tubular bells II premiere and the so-called 'US premiere')

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2002, 04:10

Thinking about the good guitarist Mike used for the first Tubular Bells performance,who do we think Mike should have playing with him for this new version,and as he has almost finsihed the album,and there is still half a year till the release,then it's enough time for him to get some great guys together,and reherse it.
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2003, 17:40

Well, you can find the TB premiere at Queen Elizabeth Hall you've been talking about ("you've talked about" it would more precise :) in any case it would be interesting for those who still doesn't know it ;)) at http://www.thetubularbell.com/html/TBprem.html . And I have an mp3 with the other one, the 2nd House (well, only part one), if someone is interested...

About the musicians have a look here: http://www.tubular-world.com/konzert....nde.htm and to the tourography of Darkstar page
Profile PM 
afronte Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2004, 06:12

Hi guys,
may be I've something of your interest.
In 1991, I bought an early MO video has that been publishd in Italy in a Rock Enciclopedia (Il Grande Rock). The video (VHS) shows MO with a band performing TB I in what is claimed to be (from the booklet note) a TV studio in Holland. Date is 1973. The performance is about 25 minutes, Mike plays bass and acoustic guitars. Could it be the performance are you talking about? I always tought to move the video on CD but didn't yet.

Ciao,
Alessandro

(((AF)))
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2004, 13:50

Very recently I was on this subject myself on Q and A's section' I did see mikey perform TB1 on the telly wether it be part or full I can't recall but it was definately in a studio it may be the same I don't know, but I 'm almost sure it was on BBC2

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
26 replies since April 10 2000, 20:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net