Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is there anything else in Vivaldi Concerto in C..., ... apart from guitars and percussion?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 13 2003, 08:20

... Is there? I seem to hear something like a synth (the same one used in Incantations?) during the 'quieter' section, i.e. the middle one between the two 'louder' and virtually identical starting and ending sections. And, by the way, is this 3-section construction a Mike attempt to reproduce the 3-movement structure of a typical Vivaldi concerto? :)
Please let me know what you think about this.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 13 2003, 12:52

As I remember it (not wanting to dig the recording out at this moment...) there are certainly some mandolins in the quiter section, and yes, I do remember something that's either a flageolet type thing or an Incantations type synth. There are some other synth pad sounds as well, I think there's a synth brass kind of sound in the louder sections.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2003, 14:30

Thanks, Richard. Mandolins certainly have to be there, bacause AFAIK the piece is an adaption of (only the first movement of?) a concerto for two mandolins (and orchestra) by Vivaldi. If anyone knows anything more about this, I'd be glad to know it too. :)

P.S.: The piece is on Disc 1 of the Elements box. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2003, 16:24

instruments that i can recognize (dividing it into movements)

intro (0.00 -1.09):
keyboards and small bells beating all the time in the background, keyboards doing the tune with the guitars (classical and electric) and mandolin around

quiet move (1.10 – 2.44):
mandolin, electric guitar, classical guitar, keyboards, synths on the background playing a percussion sound (difficult to describe… very slight as if made with a wooden thing…), and also synths doing something like trills by minute 1.53 – 2.00  (also in other moments i think)

last move (2.45 – 3.50):
keyboards in the background beating along with the small bells, electric guitar, keyboards playing the tune with the mandolins and guitars around

wow... not easy to identificate all the sounds... sure it’s incomplete… keyboards and synths are not named since i ignore their proper names (i’d be glad to learn them :)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 19 2020, 18:32

Is this forum still alive??? WONDERFUL!!!! :) :)  I thought tubular.net had ceased to live a Facebook-independent life... :D

Anyway, also basing myself on Maria's post above here, I think I have managed to identify ALL of the instruments on Mike's rendition of Vivaldi Concerto in C. Like Maria, I can't name all the synths (maybe Richard Carter a.k.a. Korgscrew may give me a hand on this?) but I know for sure where they all are.

So...

Section one: 4 or 5 electric guitars (probably Mike's SG Junior multi-tracked), acoustic guitar, tambourine, bass guitar, 2 mandolins, BluePeter-ish synth (first heard at 0:14-0:15), brass-like synth (either Jarre's Eminent or a Moog), Solina String Ensemble.

Section two: 3 quiet electric guitars (SG Junior again), Hammond organ with no Leslie, BluePeter-ish synth again, 2 mandolins, slightly off-beat classical guitar (José Ramirez?), no percussion at all. :p

The third section is a reprise of the first, so the very same instrumentation is featured in it.

Oh, and if anybody of you out there may be wondering what happened to me during all of these years, well, here's some of it.

- I became a fencing athlete and referee/judge.
- I became a certified scuba diver.
- I bought everything which Mike Oldfield has released from when I disappeared from here to right now.
- Most importantly, after 3 years spent in Italy's Civil Protection Volunteer Corps, five years ago I enrolled myself in Corpo Nazionale dei Vigili del Fuoco, i.e [Italian] National Firefighters Corps. Since then, I have become a professional firefighter.

Yes, lots of things have happened to me during all of these years. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 19 2020, 20:13

Quote (Ugo @ April 19 2020, 18:32)
Is this forum still alive??? WONDERFUL!!!! :) :)  I thought tubular.net had ceased to live a Facebook-independent life... :D

I thought you'd "mosey" back sooner or later, Ugo :D It has a certain inevitability about it, like the release of Tubular Bells IV.

Project System 12 is absolutely nothing like Mike Oldfield, of course, and it's unthinkable that Mike should have anything to do with them, but it would be interesting if you turned your analytic powers to their "Haydn Concerto in C, to be found on Digital Spaceland 8.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 19 2020, 20:16

Quote (nightspore @ April 20 2020, 02:13)
Project System 12 is absolutely nothing like Mike Oldfield, of course, and it's unthinkable that Mike should have anything to do with them, but it would be interesting if you turned your analytic powers to their "Haydn Concerto in C, to be found on Digital Spaceland 8.

Thanks a lot, Daniel. I shall look into it. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 20 2020, 07:36

Thanks, Ugo. You should ask Milamber to return as well - the forum could use some of his humor. I was recently criticized for referring to various non-bell items as tubular - treading on ho ho holy ground, as Roxy Music might say  :laugh:
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: April 20 2020, 18:39

It is nice to have back such a legendary member. :laugh:
(Although you must have left before I even joined.)

Is such a big event in some way a precursor to... another forthcoming big event??
I guess I have been keeping my desire for a new album too low. :laugh:
Are the good old times of the forum (when I only used to read others' posts) coming back?

Congratulations on your progress in your life.

What do you do when the night's on fire?

[my whole post being off-topic of course, but never mind]
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 20 2020, 18:51

Quote (omgmo @ April 21 2020, 00:39)
Congratulations on your progress in your life.

What do you do when the night's on fire?

Thanks a lot. Well, I do what I'm supposed to: I grab a fire extingusher and put it out. :laugh: :laugh:

@ Nightspore/Daniel: I haven't the slightest idea about what you're referring to, but never mind. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 20 2020, 19:47

What part of " the forum could use some of his humor" don't you understand?  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 20 2020, 20:05

Daniel, I do remember Milamber, and I do remember his crazy humour. What I'm not getting are your references to "non-bell tubular items" and, mostly, to Roxy Music. Sorry about this. :p

--------------
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: April 21 2020, 03:58

Sausages are not strictly tubular in my opinion. I mean the casing yes, but the finished product...   :p
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 21 2020, 07:43

Are you talking about excretion?  :O
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 22 2020, 04:45

Quote (Ugo @ April 19 2020, 23:32)

- Most importantly, after 3 years spent in Italy's Civil Protection Volunteer Corps, five years ago I enrolled myself in Corpo Nazionale dei Vigili del Fuoco, i.e [Italian] National Firefighters Corps. Since then, I have become a professional firefighter.

Yes, lots of things have happened to me during all of these years. :)

Wow, Ugo!! your a blast from the past, welcome "home" things around here have been so quiet for a long time, I guess mainly because Mike has gone so far off the radar!!! What is happening Mike, it has been over 3 years now since we heard from him, that is weird even by his standards.

I am glad you are a firefighter, a very worthwhile profession.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 22 2020, 06:36

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ April 22 2020, 10:45)
Wow, Ugo!! your a blast from the past, welcome "home" things around here have been so quiet for a long time, I guess mainly because Mike has gone so far off the radar!!! What is happening Mike, it has been over 3 years now since we heard from him, that is weird even by his standards.

I am glad you are a firefighter, a very worthwhile profession.

James, I have very much become used to Mike delaying new releases for indefinite periods of time, so the prolonged lack of new music from him doesn't really worry me. The remasters / reissues are all excellent, I'm happy with those. And I do like Return to Ommadawn a lot.

Regarding my job, I do it with such passion that I don't see it as a job at all. I see it as a mission.

--------------
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 23 2020, 11:24

I'm glad you say that, I also like Return To Ommadawn a lot.
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: July 25 2020, 04:49

Going back to the "BluePeter-ish synth", I believe that is either a double speed Roland Sh-2000 sound or an sequenced ARP 2600 sound, the sequencer being the EMS Universal Sequencer.  Those 3 were featured heavily in Mike's late 70's work, especially "Incantations" and "Guilty".  The polyphonic synth brass sounds are almost certainly the trumpet setting on the ARP Solina String Ensemble as with the string sounds.  The Solina was certainly used by Mike a lot in the mid-late 70's prior to the Roland VP-330 whilst the Prophet 5 had yet to be made and Mike didn't acquire his Polymoog until at least 1977.

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: July 29 2020, 05:10

Quote (Craig Evans @ July 25 2020, 09:49)
...the sequencer being the EMS Universal Sequencer...

Hi Craig - are you sure Mike's sequencer in the late 70's was the EMS? I believe these may have been tried (apparently unsuccessfully) in the Incantations tour, but my money is on Mike "borrowing" David Bedford's Roland 104, not least as all the arpeggios in Incantations are in multiples of 12?

You may have a reference somewhere that would answer the question definitively?!

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: July 30 2020, 08:50

Hi Priabonia, I don't know for certain that Mike used the EMS Sequencer in the late 70s.  Many years ago, I was told by Mindphaser that the EMS combined with the ARP 2600 had been used for the sequenced synth parts for the live 1979 versions of "Guilty" and I assumed that since it was present among the keyboards in the "Exposed" Concerts, that Mike had been using it since the Ommadawn period which includes his cover of Vivaldi Concerto In C.  The instruments page lists the EMS as having being used on the Incantations, Platinum, QE2 and Five Miles Out albums.  Its hard to make out clearly but the EMS Universal Sequencer with the ARP 2600 also appears among Mike's jumble of instruments in the photos of his studio from the Five Miles Out period.

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
24 replies since Jan. 13 2003, 08:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net