Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Art in Heaven< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 25 2005, 11:30

Was Art in Heaven specifically composed just for Berlin 2K? Has it been performed live since and are there any plans to release a studio version of the music on CD?

Personally, as far as the show goes, I thought it was awesome - as good as a Jarre gig. The DVD is far better than The Millenium Bell CD.

Anyone complaining of bum notes, should try playing in that sort of atmosphere (freezing) and with such a huge ensemble. I for one appreciate the fact that there was no studio editing out of bum notes prior to release.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: May 13 2005, 08:22

The track Art In Heaven (or Berlin 2000 as it was originally named) was composed for that concert. Mike said at that time that later it will be realised as a single but years passed and the studio version was never realised until he launched Tr3s Lunas. Mike said in the promotional webpage that the track called Thou Art In Heaven is the studio version of the song played to end the Berlin show. IMHO not as good as the original. There's also a CD-R demo of the track that Mike played in some radio stations to promote the event. The excerpts played on the radio can be found on Internet.
Profile PM 

Posted: May 13 2005, 14:38

This might sound really silly, but I never linked the two - 'Art in Heaven' and 'Thou Art in Heaven' that is.

I agree, that the latter is not a patch on the music played at the end of Berlin 2K.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 13 2005, 16:00

1. There's 'Thou art in Heaven' which is on Tr3s Lunas, and is a mere faint shadow of the Awesome Big One (numbers 2 and 3 below).
2. There's 'Art in Heaven' live, as on the Berlin 2000 DVD.
3. And there's also a studio version of 'Art in Heaven' that was never released officially, but is kicking around the internet somewhere.

I regard 'Art in Heaven' (either version) as one of those unanswerably great human achievements, like climbing Mount Everest, or inventing the Theory of Relativity, or even sliced bread. Yes, I exaggerate, but you get my drift.
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: May 13 2005, 18:04

Yep, the Berlin 2k version is simply awesome!! JMJ eat your heart out.  :)

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Bones Offline

Posted: June 04 2005, 15:28

Part of 'Art In Heaven' (The first few minutes anyway) are from 'The Songs of Distant Earth'.  "In the Beginning" is definatly audible....has anyone else noticed this?

--------------
Amarokin' All Over the World

"Music is at its best when listened to in the dark"
Profile PM 

Posted: June 04 2005, 15:53

I haven't, but I will listen again!  :D

I just love 'Art in Heaven' and I wish it sculd be released on CD as DVDs won't play in my car stereo.  :/

--------------
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: June 04 2005, 15:58

I did notice a bearded bloke in the front row of the choral assembly that does in places get a little carried away with the occasion, infact at one point he knock's his knees together in excitment only to out-do this a little later by getting decidely jiggy with his song book, PS  also I did notice the version of Moonlight Shadow being fantastically outstanding, I love it.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 

Posted: June 04 2005, 16:22

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ June 04 2005, 15:58)
I did notice a bearded bloke in the front row of the choral assembly that does in places get a little carried away with the occasion, infact at one point he knock's his knees together in excitment only to out-do this a little later by getting decidely jiggy with his song book,

I must look out for this bloke. Sounds as though I haven't experienced 'Art in Heaven' full on yet!  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: June 04 2005, 16:27

I can assure you it's worth seeing.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Mr_Brownstone Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 20:00

i've got a wot appears 2 be a rare studio version of art in heaven, sum bits sound a bit different, and it has the christmassy tuney thing at the end, if u want i'll upload it
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 01:58

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ June 04 2005, 16:27)
I can assure you it's worth seeing.

Hahaha! I haven't him noticed before. It's an unusual behavior for someone in a choir, that's for sure.

Also, you can tell that the strings are playback just from seeing the expressions on the violinists' faces.

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 06:21

Quote (Bones @ June 04 2005, 15:28)
Part of 'Art In Heaven' (The first few minutes anyway) are from 'The Songs of Distant Earth'.  "In the Beginning" is definatly audible....has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, back to 1999, I remember that Mike, while describing the track, said that it will start with an excerpt from the start of Let There Be Light. It's obvious that he was refering to In The Beginning and not Let There Be Light (we can see both tracks as one single piece).

Also the Art In Heaven ends with a cover of Beethoven's Ode To Joy.
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: June 26 2018, 05:00

Am I missing something ?

I just got the DVD after all these years, top notch !

But What is the "Art In Heaven Piece" ?

On my DVD, if you click on "Millenium Bell", you get the full concert ending with MB, if you click on "Art In Heaven", you get the full concert ending with MB, and there is no separate piece on the Special Features.
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: July 12 2018, 11:46

Any ideas ?
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: July 12 2018, 18:49

It's the track (also known as "Berlin 2000") that accompanied Art In Heaven's light show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hai4bovFbI

BTW, if you look carefully in the video you can see some fireworks that are shaped like tubular bells (0:11 and 2:25).
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: July 13 2018, 08:40

Quote (oldfield_fan @ July 12 2018, 18:49)
It's the track (also known as "Berlin 2000") that accompanied Art In Heaven's light show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hai4bovFbI

BTW, if you look carefully in the video you can see some fireworks that are shaped like tubular bells (0:11 and 2:25).

Hi,

Yes, thanks, I know what the track is from YouTube.

The question was about the DVD, when I click on the full concert option - I get the full concert

When I click on  "Art In Heaven" - I get the full concert.

Does anyone have the same issue or know how to get this piece to play or if it is actually on the DVD, despite the cover & menus indicating it is.
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: July 13 2018, 10:56

Yes, it is on the DVD and it should play when you select Art in Heaven from the main menu.
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: July 17 2018, 08:35

Quote (oldfield_fan @ July 13 2018, 10:56)
Yes, it is on the DVD and it should play when you select Art in Heaven from the main menu.

Confuses the Hell out of me ! As when I select Art In Heaven, I get the full concert instead !
Maybe it's a rip off DVD ! (Off Ebay)
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2018, 07:05

So does nobody else who have this disk get the same issue ?

If I select the concert from the menu - I get the concert
If I select "Art in Heaven" from the menu - I get the concert

So I can't seem to get the "Art in Heaven" special feature
Profile PM 
19 replies since Mar. 25 2005, 11:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net