Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: tubular bells, comments on each version< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
alastair Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 18 2005, 22:36

I have just joined the messageboard, and am delighted to find such a lot of good discussion going on. I remember Tubular Bells from the original release date, and I was living in England at the time too. I now live in Canada. I never really paid much attention to Mike Oldfield after the seventies, until my son, who is now 23 started getting hold of a lot of his CDs within the last few years. This got my interest revived. He gave me a copy of Voyager which I really enjoy. I know a lot of fans consider that rather lightweight, but I really like it , as I love Celtic music in general. Most recently I have bought Tubular Bells 2,3, and 2003, all three. I think that 2 is sufficiently different from the first one, yet retains the same structure, and I was bowled over by it. TB3 I enjoy the more I hear it. I make allowances for the fact that it has a strong Latin and Middle East flavor, which reflects the part of the world he lives in , and it absorbs that nicely. I just got TB 2003 two days ago, and I know there's a lot of controversy about it, with people on either side of the fence.
I think it worked pretty darn well, and I do respect his reasons for doing it when he did. I read a lot of articles and interviews around the topic, which got me very curious to begin with.
Whatever all the reasons, I think Mike did it justice, and I have to admit that John Cleese does the perfect voice too.
I also think he should shelve the Tubular Bells title now, and proceed with new material from here on.
That 's my two cents worth, from someone new to the messageboard. Cheers
Profile PM 
0 replies since June 18 2005, 22:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net